ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
Source: https://electrek.co/2023/01/23/tesla-cybertruck-novel-windshield-patent/

Tesla has filed new patent to manufacture glass that can be manipulated to create novel bends, shapes and curves that can't be achieved with current glass production methods.

In the patent application, Tesla describes issues with current [windshield production] methods:
Generally, such processes for making glass structures are limited by the amount of curvature or bending achievable with the glass. For example, typically only smooth, high radius of curvatures (e.g., radius of curvature of 1-3 meters or more), are used for automotive glass structures.
The new manufacturing tech is described as capable shorter radiuses of curvature:
In some embodiments, a process for forming an automotive glass structure having one or more feature lines (or curves/bends) includes applying localized heat to one or more locations of the glass structure, whereby the glass structure bends at the location of the localized heat. In some examples, the glass structure is supported by a support tool such that as localized heat is applied gravity forces the glass structure to bend at the one or more locations (e.g., along a longitudinal line of the glass), thereby forming a feature line or bend in the glass. In some examples, additional forces may be applied to the glass structure, e.g., via a press, vacuum air suction, or the like to aid in bending or shaping of the glass structure. In some examples, a radius of curvature of the feature line or bend in the glass structure at the one or more locations is between 2 mm and 5 cm.
Some images from the patent application:

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla patents new windshield glass capable of novel bends, shapes and curves using Cybertruck as example Screenshot-2023-01-23-at-6.15.07-AM
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla patents new windshield glass capable of novel bends, shapes and curves using Cybertruck as example Screenshot-2023-01-23-at-6.15.33-AM
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla patents new windshield glass capable of novel bends, shapes and curves using Cybertruck as example Tesla-glass-cybertruck-1

Patent images using the Cybertruck as examples.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla patents new windshield glass capable of novel bends, shapes and curves using Cybertruck as example Screenshot-2023-01-23-at-6.15.51-AM-e1674472642446
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla patents new windshield glass capable of novel bends, shapes and curves using Cybertruck as example Screenshot-2023-01-23-at-6.16.15-AM-e1674472655584
Sponsored

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
That's probably for the next model Tesla is developing, the one Franz is so excited about

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Maybe the CT has single peice windscreen and rear roof glass? Maybe with integrated solar?

But what's with the interior drawing on the patent?

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Is this old news? To lazy to do some digging but I swear I have seen this patent in the past....
Might have been the application before. This article describes it as granted. But yeah, I thought the same thing. There was another one I thought the same about and I think it was the same situation. News about the application vs. news about it being granted.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
Maybe the CT has single peice windscreen and rear roof glass? Maybe with integrated solar?
I can't imagine. It was $1,200 to have my side window replaced in my X. I hear those windshields are north of $2k.

Armor glass, rock chips are a thing of the past (hopefully :))
I have experience with a variety of devices made of "sapphire glass" and while strong, there are def day-to-day experiences that can crack it. Scratches not so much, but the harder the glass the easier the break. And Tesla glass has a tendency to self-shatter due to internal pressures. I have personal experience with that bit.

---

Separately, while this sounds good it also creates a parts availability bottleneck. Tesla already has a bad rep for people waiting months for small parts (like me, who is currently waiting on a "backordered" exterior trim piece.) It took nearly 5 weeks just to get a passenger side window in on my 18 X.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
But what's with the interior drawing on the patent?
Looks like the dashboard is going to be glass.

As someone suggests above, I think this is an older patent which we’ve seen. We’ve definitely talked about the dashboard being glass previously.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Supposedly tough to break glass stuff always finds a way to break around me.

Also want ZERO sunlight coming through the roof.

Please give an option for a 3mm cold-rolled stainless steel Cybertruck roof.

Last edited:

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Supposedly tough to break glass stuff always finds a way to break around me.

Also want ZERO sunlight coming through the roof.

Please gve an otion for a 3mm cold-rolled stainless steel Cybertruck roof.
My wife was in the same camp. She asked if they made a sunshield that she could keep up while driving. This was before we got the car. Half way home, in the middle of the day, I asked her if she liked the roof glass. She said she forgot it was glass. She likes it and to be honest, most of the time, I forget it's even there. I don't have a lot of protection from the sun for the top of my head if you know what I mean... I never notice any heat from it nor any light intrusion that is noticible. They've done a good job on the Model Y which I hope carries over to the CyberTruck. Though, if it's an option, I'd let them replace my roof with solar...
Sponsored