Tesla Renews Key Partnership with Jeff Dahn's Battery Research Lab for 5-Year Term

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
by Eva Fox January 18, 2021

Tesla Tesla batteries

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Renews Key Partnership with Jeff Dahn's Battery Research Lab for 5-Year Term 3_59606c3a-ad15-41a5-b182-5f050ba36de6_1600x

Dalhousie University's Jeff Dahn (driver's seat) takes a Tesla Model S for a spin after signing a research agreement with Tesla Motors Co-founder and Chief Technology Officer, JB Straubel. (Photo: Daniel Abriel)

Tesla renews its research partnership with Jeff Dahn's lab at Dalhousie University for a second five-year term. The Tesla-Jeff Dahn-Dalhousie Alliance is one of the most popular and prolific research contracts in the world of battery technologies.

The new contract will also add two new chairmen, Dr. Chongyin Yang and Dr. Michael Metzger, with lab head Jeff Dahn remaining in his post as NSERC/Tesla Canada Inc. Industrial Research Chair and the Canada Research Chair in Materials for Advanced Batteries, reported by Electric Autonomy Canada.

“We are thrilled to be extending and expanding our work with Dalhousie and Jeff Dahn with the addition of Chongyin and Michael. We look forward to their important contributions in battery technology to help achieve our mission,” said Tesla in the announcement press release.

Jeff Dunn's lab's research is critical to achieving battery cost savings that are key to making EVs affordable for everyone. “Our goal is to continue to help Tesla develop better-advanced batteries for its products,” says Dahn in the press release about the news. In an interview with Electric Autonomy Canada, Dahn also added that "The [Tesla] team is amazing."

The research laboratory is very supportive of Tesla in its goal of reducing the cost of batteries. He said the research partnership and all laboratory work are guided by the motto: reduce cost, boost density, and stretch out the lifetime of the lithium-ion battery.

Under the new agreement, Tesla will fund Dahn's lab, and claim exclusive rights to the developments and inventions that will be used in it. Under the terms of the original Tesla deal, Dan was not allowed to take on mentoring roles or consult with other startups. The new treaty changes that.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Renews Key Partnership with Jeff Dahn's Battery Research Lab for 5-Year Term 7da52bffe06e1f645c08299841a4a343?s=160&r=G

EVA FOX
I'm a big fan of Tesla, as I worry about the future for my child and for future generations. Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy and I'm passionately striving for this goal. I’m tired of the daily deception from Tesla’s haters against the company, so I strive to spread true information and the latest news about Tesla.

SOURCE: TESMANIAN
Sponsored