Tesla repair experience from current owners

hbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda
Country flag
Can any current Tesla owner share their repair experience? I have heard some horrible stories about the repair saga, wondering if it's still the same today.
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Can any current Tesla owner share their repair experience? I have heard some horrible stories about the repair saga, wondering if it's still the same today.
I've had one repair appointment. They guy showed up at the house, was very nice and fixed the piece of loose fender trim on the car. He then asked if there was anything else wrong with the car he could look at. There was a grease spot (looked like grease, anyway) on the passenger side A-pillar. He got that removed and we chatted for a bit. He said that I had one of about 14 Model Ys in the area that he services. This was a while ago so that is definitely not the case any more.

Anyway, it was relatively easy. I have an appointment for this Friday between 2:30 and 4:30 for him to install the Homelink thing and set it up. This appointment is merely the installation of the Homelink and is part of the purchase price of that thing. He said that Tesla doesn't include the Homelink because many people weren't using it al all and since it's proprietary, Tesla has to pay a set price for each one installed. Rather than keep that item as part of the vehicle, they basically lowered the price on the MY by that $300 (sure, they did) and then allow people to add it if they want. That way, people who don't need it aren't paying for it anyway.

Overall,
My experience with maintenance, although limited, has been top notch. (besides, it's a kick to have Tesla come to the house for maintenance and getting to tell the neighbors "Yeah, this is the only way I'll get to see maintenance. It's not like I get to go sit at the dealer waiting for them to change the oil or brakes or anything...")

OP
OP

hbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda
Country flag
What about fender bender kind of repair? Does Tesla still has parts supply issue?

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
What about fender bender kind of repair? Does Tesla still has parts supply issue?
Good question. And would Tesla sell me (or my repair shop) a new fender? And are there any shop repair manuals for any Tesla models out there yet?

OP
OP

hbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda
Country flag
This was from 2018 and even made the news:

Jon Snow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS85D
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Nothing but good experiences for me. Love mobile repair too!

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Wait...when you need new brakes, they just come to your house and do the work there!?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Were it just new pads I'm sure a Ranger could do that. New calipers or master cylider? Perhaps not.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Wait...when you need new brakes, they just come to your house and do the work there!?
Yes. Though sometimes they'd rather drop off a loaner and take yours, or have you drop it at a service center.

Body damage isn't as good yet, but complaints about it have died down.

I expect body repairs to a Cybertruck will be horrendous. On one hand it can be welded to easily. On the other, you're talking structural panels exposed... No one will want one cut in half and welded back on, would they?

-Crissa

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Yes. Though sometimes they'd rather drop off a loaner and take yours, or have you drop it at a service center.

Body damage isn't as good yet, but complaints about it have died down.

I expect body repairs to a Cybertruck will be horrendous. On one hand it can be welded to easily. On the other, you're talking structural panels exposed... No one will want one cut in half and welded back on, would they?

-Crissa
The service center option gives me pause and it's plus mark in the column for a Ford EV, since Ford has service centers or mechanics just about everywhere that can work on Fort trucks (insert joke here).

But if Tesla will come to my house and fix it or bring a loaner, I'm all for that.

There are only two Tesla service centers in Colorado and they are Denver or north of Denver. You would think a city like Colorado Springs and it 700K+ population in the metro area would have one, but we don't, so Tesla gets minus in the serviceability column when weighing the pros and cons.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
The service center option gives me pause and it's plus mark in the column for a Ford EV, since Ford has service centers or mechanics just about everywhere that can work on Fort trucks (insert joke here).

But if Tesla will come to my house and fix it or bring a loaner, I'm all for that.

There are only two Tesla service centers in Colorado and they are Denver or north of Denver. You would think a city like Colorado Springs and it 700K+ population in the metro area would have one, but we don't, so Tesla gets minus in the serviceability column when weighing the pros and cons.
They will generally come to your house or your place of work to repair or replace things that don't require a lift or specialized tools (like a wheel alignment machine). The repair can be done while you're going about your day. We've had two or three minor warranty type fixes applied in our driveway since we started buying Teslas 6 years ago.

I think most non-Tesla owners over-estimate how much they will need a service center with a Tesla because they are used to owning cars with regular service schedules and brakes that wear out regularly. Any tire shop can handle things like new tires, balancing, etc. The last time we've been to a service department was last year when I bought a used Model 3 on the private market that had been knocked out of alignment by the previous owner. Tesla Service fixed me up quickly and the car drove great afterwards. The servce fee was very reasonable, the waiting area was pleasant as were the staff. Service with a smile and no attempt to get you to do things that don't need to be done.

Sjohnson20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model Y
Country flag
I never had a problem with service. Did a couple at the service center with my model 3 and a couple mobile ones.
Sponsored