Tesla should contact customers in RESERVATION # ORDER, regardless of motor choice... right?

OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
So long as Tesla is reasonably transparent about this before they start the process, I'll be happy.

I changed my dual to tri motor mostly because I want the range, but also in part because I want to get the truck sooner. If having the truck sooner is important and you can afford the difference, then just change your reservation. It doesn't change your reservation number or place in line (or if it does, I'll be screwed with you).

It is a bit frustrating that there are so many question marks in this process. But I can say for certain that the actual RN number does not change if you go from dual to tri because I've done it.
Until they're clear on the timeframes, I won't take the chance, especially if they end up making dual and tri around the same time. If they end up saying the dual is a much longer wait, I hope they give us the opportunity to change without losing our place in line.
Sponsored

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
I honestly don’t think that I would put too much credit into what you were told at the Tesla centers. Given how secretive they are concerning information being leaked I seriously doubt that credible information went out to all employees. Of course I could be wrong.

cjosulli

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tacoma
Country flag
Has anyone updated their reservation after the FSD price change? would suck to go from 7k to 10k (upgrading from dual to tri possibly due to range).

If the are battery cell constrained they might push dual first as it will be less complex and contain less cells. I had to wait a year and a half on my dual motor 3 due to location and Tesla launching the dual motor months after RWD, those were different times at Tesla though...Look at the plaid +, may not be able to support the product line with a 200kwh (or whatever size it would be) battery to go 500+ miles

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Honestly I didn't expect this (to me 'no-brainer' topic), to get so many posts/responses because I don't see it being such a puzzle for anyone ... but never underestimate the capacity for someone to make something simple more complicated I guess. If we listen to Elon discuss simplicity design approaches and appreciate Tesla's minimalistic elegance .. - ok - digressing:

Tesla could've added an additional option like 'any trim' in the reservation form, meaning 'contact me if either trim is available' such that if the Reservation Number is coming next in any trim manufacturing phase, the reservation holder would be notified/contacted to inform them they could configure that option for purchase. Tesla did not do this likely because it does not assist well in helping Tesla to predict demand for each of the specific trims/options.

However, there is an easy solution. If being able to choose any or either trim at production time is so critically important to you, then it's not unrealistic for you to just make (and pay for) three reservations, one for each trim.

Then you can assure you would have a 'place in line' for either trim when that reservation came up. You could then cancel the other reservations after you've 'impulsively' chosen your option - but see to me, that's like 'jerking Tesla around' just for the sake of having a place in three lines at once.

In my opinion to curb the possibility of people exploiting this method, I think Tesla should have a clause where, '... in the case of a single person making multiple reservations, only one reservation is refundable at cancellation, if and only if no other reservations are held by same person ...' or something similar to that. I also think Tesla should require multiple reservation holders to pay $1000 instead of $100 for a second and subsequent reservations. This might also help curb the whimsical exploits while helping to keep reservations more realistic to assist Tesla in predicting demand.

Really, if you don't care which trim is being made but just want to be first in every line, what is your actual purpose in mind for even owning a Cybertruck?

Last edited:

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
There are so many conflicting opinions about which orders will be shipping first and how the motor choice you made years ago will affect when you're actually able to take delivery.

The latest assumption is that somebody who placed a dual motor on the very first day will actually wait longer than somebody who placed a tri-motor months later. That's crazy.

A lot of people say that the best option is to change your order to a tri-motor, but others warn that unless it's done right, there's a risk that you'll end up at the end of the line. That's crazy too... especially since the original order page made no mention that the tri-motor would be first.

So, rather than speculate, I tweeted to Elon Musk that they should call people in order, regardless of their choice in 2019... and ask them if they wanted to stick with the dual and wait... or change to a tri-motor and take delivery sooner.

If you got a call today from Tesla, asking you to choose:

1) Keep your existing dual motor order and wait 6-12 months longer.
or
2) Change it to a tri-motor... would you do it? I know I would, and there are probably others that would.

Perhaps if enough of us simply asked Tesla to consider this, they would make a ton of extra money from people like me who would chose to upgrade.
Manufacturing is mostly done in runs, likely some of the Tri-Motors will Come first as press cars and flagships, after that they will alternate in manufacturing runs based on parts availability and assembly schedules.
We’ll likely see a random smattering of reservations fulfilled, much more likely based on total volume shipping to a particular location. I also expect them to ship a number to the stores to retail along side the reservation fulfillment.

OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Really, if you don't care which trim is being made but just want to be first in every line, what is your actual purpose in mind for even owning a Cybertruck?
I drive a 2016 F-150 that cost me $58,000, with 70,000 miles and a 100,000 mile warranty. At the time I posted this, my F-150 suddenly threw a message on the dashboard and was towed to the dealer. I'm not fond of dealers, but the warranty is only covered if they fix it.

They said it's transmission related, and awaiting parts. It's been 4 weeks, and it's still there, with no communication about when it will be ready. The point of this rant is I hate dealers, and everything associated with traditional engines and I want an escape. My brother has 4 Teslas and has zero problems with any of them.

With that in mind, I can't wait to get rid of it, so, I decided to check the latest news about the Cybertruck production to see if there's a chance I'll get mine (ordered the morning after the announcement) before another breakdown or the warranty expires.

Unfortunately, all I saw was conflicting news about how long it will take, simply because I chose the dual option. The unofficial reservation finders showed a huge bias against dual orders to the tune of up to a year after tri-motor reservations. Meanwhile, there was no mention of the dual taking that much longer on the official site.

I also read conflicting information in the forums from people who said changing the reservation would mean moving to the end of the line. Placing a new order for a tri will definitely mean end of the line.

After some people said a Tesla office should be able to change it safely while keeping the number, 2 calls to Tesla offices in NJ, both said if they changed the choice to tri, it would essentially put me at the end of the line, so I'm not going to risk changing it.

In the end, the biggest issue is whether there is a LONG delay for dual vs tri. Both of my Tesla calls yielded no official word, but both said based on the history of building higher priced models first, the tri will likely be first.

Based on my particular situation, an additional year wait vs a dual is out of the question.

Changing it to or making a new tri reservation could put me at the end and potentially a 3 year wait, so that's out of the question.

If they build dual and tri around the same time... I'm good as-is, yet I still may want the tri.

All I'm asking is that they factor in the sequence of the reservation # and offer people the option to upgrade when they're ready to ship to their area, I bet a lot of people would upgrade if it means getting it a year or so earlier. Keep in mind some when the reservations started, they said single would be made first, so some of those very low reservation # buyers would love to get a chance to save a 2 year wait and get whichever is available first.

I agree your "any trim" would be helpful to consumers, but they definitely needed to measure demand. In fact, when they saw the demand for tri was the larges, they changed that to be their first to build. Unfortunately, they made that change AFTER people made reservations for models they assumed would be first.

I just don't like the idea of them giving priority to somebody who ordered a tri motor 6 months later. I would gladly upgrade, if asked and I'd like to be offered that before somebody with a much higher reservation.

The bottom line... The original choice was great for measuring demand... but people should still be free to change, and they should given the chance to order before those with newer reservation numbers in the same area are called. It's like standing in line for a hot dog with yellow mustard for an hour, then seeing somebody walk up and get one with brown mustard before you. If you knew yellow mustard took longer, you would've ordered one with brown mustard.

If nothing else, they should be open about the potential waiting times for dual vs tri. The official site now says single production starts late 22, but there is no mention of a gap between dual and tri.

OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Manufacturing is mostly done in runs, likely some of the Tri-Motors will Come first as press cars and flagships, after that they will alternate in manufacturing runs based on parts availability and assembly schedules.
We’ll likely see a random smattering of reservations fulfilled, much more likely based on total volume shipping to a particular location. I also expect them to ship a number to the stores to retail along side the reservation fulfillment.
As long as those runs are not up to a year apart, I'm safe keeping my reservation where it is, but if there's a significant delay for dual, I want to be offered a chance to upgrade before somebody else with a later reservation in the same area is contacted.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I drive a 2016 F-150 that cost me $58,000, with 70,000 miles and a 100,000 mile warranty. At the time I posted this, my F-150 suddenly threw a message on the dashboard and was towed to the dealer. I'm not fond of dealers, but the warranty is only covered if they fix it.

They said it's transmission related, and awaiting parts. It's been 4 weeks, and it's still there, with no communication about when it will be ready. The point of this rant is I hate dealers, and everything associated with traditional engines and I want an escape. My brother has 4 Teslas and has zero problems with any of them.

With that in mind, I can't wait to get rid of it, so, I decided to check the latest news about the Cybertruck production to see if there's a chance I'll get mine (ordered the morning after the announcement) before another breakdown or the warranty expires.

Unfortunately, all I saw was conflicting news about how long it will take, simply because I chose the dual option. The unofficial reservation finders showed a huge bias against dual orders to the tune of up to a year after tri-motor reservations. Meanwhile, there was no mention of the dual taking that much longer on the official site.

I also read conflicting information in the forums from people who said changing the reservation would mean moving to the end of the line. Placing a new order for a tri will definitely mean end of the line.

After some people said a Tesla office should be able to change it safely while keeping the number, 2 calls to Tesla offices in NJ, both said if they changed the choice to tri, it would essentially put me at the end of the line, so I'm not going to risk changing it.

In the end, the biggest issue is whether there is a LONG delay for dual vs tri. Both of my Tesla calls yielded no official word, but both said based on the history of building higher priced models first, the tri will likely be first.

Based on my particular situation, an additional year wait vs a dual is out of the question.

Changing it to or making a new tri reservation could put me at the end and potentially a 3 year wait, so that's out of the question.

If they build dual and tri around the same time... I'm good as-is, yet I still may want the tri.

All I'm asking is that they factor in the sequence of the reservation # and offer people the option to upgrade when they're ready to ship to their area, I bet a lot of people would upgrade if it means getting it a year or so earlier. Keep in mind some when the reservations started, they said single would be made first, so some of those very low reservation # buyers would love to get a chance to save a 2 year wait and get whichever is available first.

I agree your "any trim" would be helpful to consumers, but they definitely needed to measure demand. In fact, when they saw the demand for tri was the larges, they changed that to be their first to build. Unfortunately, they made that change AFTER people made reservations for models they assumed would be first.

I just don't like the idea of them giving priority to somebody who ordered a tri motor 6 months later. I would gladly upgrade, if asked and I'd like to be offered that before somebody with a much higher reservation.

The bottom line... The original choice was great for measuring demand... but people should still be free to change, and they should given the chance to order before those with newer reservation numbers in the same area are called. It's like standing in line for a hot dog with yellow mustard for an hour, then seeing somebody walk up and get one with brown mustard before you. If you knew yellow mustard took longer, you would've ordered one with brown mustard.

If nothing else, they should be open about the potential waiting times for dual vs tri. The official site now says single production starts late 22, but there is no mention of a gap between dual and tri.
I get the point your trying to make ans I love the fact you choose the CT as your vehicle of choice. Shot happens is what I’m getting. So, in your case, which ever is first truly can help you. I wonder how many CT holders right now % wise are in this same position? I think a few from what I have read. I’m happy with my first choice ans if anything happened down the road that would require me to change, it would be nice to be able too. One cannot control what life throws at us unexpectedly. It’s just that simple. So, I hope at the end of this race you get what you need and want.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
November 23rd 2019 I reserved the dual and 3 days later on the 26th canceled the dual and changed it to the tri-motor. I missed the fact that I could have edited the first reservation. I am patiently waiting for the truck I reserved even if there is a delay. I am aware that the factory isn’t even complete yet, the casting press for it hasn’t been delivered yet and I can’t really rely on rumors regarding a mock up assembly line at Fremont especially since no casting press there for it. I get that it’s a completely new product so it’s hard to believe that there wouldn’t be a learning curve as they work through the bugs in order to scale production. The fact that they can’t tell me in advance whether there’s going to be any delays or which model will absolutely be first in line doesn’t bother me. I’m driving a 07 Tacoma with 218k miles and zero problems so I can wait…..BUT not too too long because I’m 64! ?

j4ypal

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 and CT reservation
Country flag
I get where you're coming from. The anxiety is real.

I originally ordered a dual motor on november 22nd 2019 but changed it to Tri-Motor a few hours later. One of my reasons was I believed (and still believe) that Tesla will prioritize Tri motor in the beginning. If the past is any indication of the future, DM version should follow pretty quickly. Single motor might be a totally different story though.

But being in Canada, I know that there will be a few months delay before the trucks get here, like there has been in the past for previous product launches. The reservation tracker tells me june 2022 but being more realistic, I think august to october 2022. I'm 80k in line so it might even go to mid-2023, depending on ramp speed.

I don't think they will start shipping in december 2021 in the US. There might be a few units here and there like Elon said (employees and such) but that's it. Reservation tracker still says quite a lot of people will get their CT in december but that's not being realistic at this point. The factory isn't even close to being complete. It's progressing nicely but first vehicles out of there will be Model Ys.

We have no idea how production start and ramp are going to go for CT. It could go great and it could also be a nightmare. Here's to hoping for the former.

Cheers.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
While it's no fun to wait (or idk, maybe you like it?), I think worrying about fair vs unfair between reservation order vs model reserved might be asinine until much closer to production.
I get what you're saying, especially with the perceived amount of demand for this vehicle! I mean, why should I wait if I reserved FIRST? But the same could be said for most queues in life. In the end, I'm happy that there is some kind of order to be had, but getting bent out of shape because you feel like someone "cut" in line sorta defeats the purpose of the line... If that makes sense. Sure, they shouldn't cut ahead and that's against the rules, but the spirit of thing is order and getting upset over it is also against the PURPOSE of the line. I'm not explaining myself very well haha

I reserved a tri motor because that's what I want. If dual motor is served first, fine, because it isn't what I want. My suggestion is to reserve what you want and let the queue do it's job. In the end, you'll have a great truck that will likely last your entire lifetime!

Anyway! I agree with you, ?, but logistics are always easier said than done.

One last thing, CT is priced linearly, meaning that spending the time and money to ask and receive feedback for EVERY SINGLE reservation holder provides very little, if any, profit, yet it will cost quite a lot. One example of what I mean by "easier said than done".

Cheers!

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
While it's no fun to wait (or idk, maybe you like it?), I think worrying about fair vs unfair between reservation order vs model reserved might be asinine until much closer to production.
I get what you're saying, especially with the perceived amount of demand for this vehicle! I mean, why should I wait if I reserved FIRST? But the same could be said for most queues in life. In the end, I'm happy that there is some kind of order to be had, but getting bent out of shape because you feel like someone "cut" in line sorta defeats the purpose of the line... If that makes sense. Sure, they shouldn't cut ahead and that's against the rules, but the spirit of thing is order and getting upset over it is also against the PURPOSE of the line. I'm not explaining myself very well haha

I reserved a tri motor because that's what I want. If dual motor is served first, fine, because it isn't what I want. My suggestion is to reserve what you want and let the queue do it's job. In the end, you'll have a great truck that will likely last your entire lifetime!

Anyway! I agree with you, ?, but logistics are always easier said than done.

One last thing, CT is priced linearly, meaning that spending the time and money to ask and receive feedback for EVERY SINGLE reservation holder provides very little, if any, profit, yet it will cost quite a lot. One example of what I mean by "easier said than done".

Cheers!
?
I’m catching what your throwing.
I ordered the CT3 and it does not matter in what order in any way. if it was the RWD, DM then the tri I’m all good. I want the tri cuz….. well, it’s what I want. So I reserved it.
So, I will let it flow
slow and low cuz
that is my tempo.
✌

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As I listen to filter “ hey man nice shot on blast right now.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Generally, I find the waiting in line for my CT to be an exercise in patience but I don't really care who gets one ahead of me as long as I am not going to get delayed years out while others in my area are all getting theirs. Yes, I want mine. ASAP. But I'm willing to wait.

However, I've been through a popular vehicle product launch before and there are 2 aspects where I can see very valid reasons for wanting your vehicle early no matter what.

1. Buyer intends to sell for a profit. Taking delivery of a revolutionary and popular vehicle very early means that there is going to be an opportunity to resell your vehicle for a profit. How much? Really depends on how early, how popular, and how rich the populace around you is. From what I understand though, Tesla is not very amenable to this kind of action so you may or may not get burned in one way or another if you try this.

2. Buyer wants to experience the unique gawking encounters that will happen for early owners. This one I personally experienced and have to say it was really fun. When a new and popular vehicle with very distinctive characteristics comes out, there is a period of time when anyone and everyone will, at a minimum, gawk at your ride. And I mean like drive themselves off the road as they gawk, literally stop walking right in the middle of the street because they suddenly noticed you and cannot stop looking, or simply have to stop you for a while to ask all kinds of questions about your ride. I even got a speeding ticket while driving as one of the slowest vehicles on the interstate because the cop pulled me over to ask me questions about my vehicle for 10 minutes, letting me know that his wife wanted one just like mine. I fought that ticket and got out of it. At the time there were people who would go pick up their brand new vehicle, drive to a local classic car show that weekend, enter the design competition, and win because the vehicle was so popular. I have to say, this kind of experience is something that is generally fun, but has a limited duration. After a while, people will just start ignoring your vehicle and the effect will have waned.

I have to say that I find reason 1 to be somewhat objectionable but for those rich or enterprising enough to go for it I don't really have a reason to fight their gumption.

Having experienced some of reason 2, I would really enjoy getting my CT early to experience this gawking effect again. It's not something that happens very often and it is generally a fun time so if you can get in on the experience I would recommend it.

Having said all that though, trying to engineer your place in line (short of just ordering early and often) seems like a fool's errand. We do have some precedence as to what Tesla might do with orders or what order they might come in. But at this late date, any change/manipulation/update you do to your order (or get a new order) has the potential to just backfire and end up causing you great disappointment. Speculate all you want about how best to use your reservation. I would be really careful though about how far you go in making changes. If one of the reasons you placed your order was just to get in on the hype early, those orders are almost certainly placed now and there isn't much that we can do to get our vehicle faster. Well, if you are on the financially endowed side, you could swing for the fences and just pay your way into the early club once vehicles start shipping. But with Tesla's stance, they might find a way to cause you disappointment over such a move so be careful there too.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Generally, I find the waiting in line for my CT to be an exercise in patience but I don't really care who gets one ahead of me as long as I am not going to get delayed years out while others in my area are all getting theirs. Yes, I want mine. ASAP. But I'm willing to wait.

However, I've been through a popular vehicle product launch before and there are 2 aspects where I can see very valid reasons for wanting your vehicle early no matter what.

1. Buyer intends to sell for a profit. Taking delivery of a revolutionary and popular vehicle very early means that there is going to be an opportunity to resell your vehicle for a profit. How much? Really depends on how early, how popular, and how rich the populace around you is. From what I understand though, Tesla is not very amenable to this kind of action so you may or may not get burned in one way or another if you try this.

2. Buyer wants to experience the unique gawking encounters that will happen for early owners. This one I personally experienced and have to say it was really fun. When a new and popular vehicle with very distinctive characteristics comes out, there is a period of time when anyone and everyone will, at a minimum, gawk at your ride. And I mean like drive themselves off the road as they gawk, literally stop walking right in the middle of the street because they suddenly noticed you and cannot stop looking, or simply have to stop you for a while to ask all kinds of questions about your ride. I even got a speeding ticket while driving as one of the slowest vehicles on the interstate because the cop pulled me over to ask me questions about my vehicle for 10 minutes, letting me know that his wife wanted one just like mine. I fought that ticket and got out of it. At the time there were people who would go pick up their brand new vehicle, drive to a local classic car show that weekend, enter the design competition, and win because the vehicle was so popular. I have to say, this kind of experience is something that is generally fun, but has a limited duration. After a while, people will just start ignoring your vehicle and the effect will have waned.

I have to say that I find reason 1 to be somewhat objectionable but for those rich or enterprising enough to go for it I don't really have a reason to fight their gumption.

Having experienced some of reason 2, I would really enjoy getting my CT early to experience this gawking effect again. It's not something that happens very often and it is generally a fun time so if you can get in on the experience I would recommend it.

Having said all that though, trying to engineer your place in line (short of just ordering early and often) seems like a fool's errand. We do have some precedence as to what Tesla might do with orders or what order they might come in. But at this late date, any change/manipulation/update you do to your order (or get a new order) has the potential to just backfire and end up causing you great disappointment. Speculate all you want about how best to use your reservation. I would be really careful though about how far you go in making changes. If one of the reasons you placed your order was just to get in on the hype early, those orders are almost certainly placed now and there isn't much that we can do to get our vehicle faster. Well, if you are on the financially endowed side, you could swing for the fences and just pay your way into the early club once vehicles start shipping. But with Tesla's stance, they might find a way to cause you disappointment over such a move so be careful there too.
Neither of those reasons ever occurred to me haha. Like hell would I sell my CT, ?
Sponsored