Tesla suffers complete network outage, internal systems and connectivity features down [Update: connectivity returning]

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla is currently suffering a complete network outage with internal systems being down and customer connectivity features not accessible.

Sources familiar with the matter told Electrek that Tesla’s internal systems are currently inexplicably down with staff not able to process deliveries and orders.

On the customer-facing side, Tesla owners couldn’t connect to their cars through the mobile app starting at around 11:00 AM EDT.

As for the website, it is returning an error beyond the main page with no configurator working at the moment.

It appears one of the most wide-ranging network outage of Tesla’s systems that we have seen to date.

The same is happening for Tesla’s energy products with Tesla solar and Powerwall owners not being able to monitor their systems.

Tesla’s network outage appears to be global with owners around the world reporting the same issue.

It isn’t the first time that Tesla had a system-wide outage, but they are fairly rare.

With Tesla vehicles having many connectivity features, it is affecting the user experience. However, owners can still access and use their cars.

Even Tesla owners who primarily use their phones as their car keys, the Bluetooth still connects to it to unlock and “start” the vehicle.

The story is still developing and we will update as we get more information.

Update (11:35 AM ET): Connectivity is starting to return to some cars. Some people might still be experiencing some issues.

Update (3:05 PM ET): While app connection for customers is mostly back up (some are still having problems), Tesla’s internal systems are still down, according to several sources:

People taking deliveries, buying cars, and picking up cars from service should expect delays.

SOURCE: ELECTREK
Sponsored

Deleted member 3884

I know this doesn’t happen much but this would make me paranoid about using my phone only as my key. I recently met a model y owner that didn’t carry the key at all.

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
I know this doesn’t happen much but this would make me paranoid about using my phone only as my key. I recently met a model y owner that didn’t carry the key at all.
Isnt the key bluetooth?... so direct phone to car interaction there, no Tesla network needed.

Deleted member 3884

Isnt the key bluetooth?... so direct phone to car interaction there, no Tesla network needed.

I really don’t know. I do not own a Tesla. I’m not sure if it’s Bluetooth or not. I thought the model y owner said his phone uses the Tesla app as a key. That was the first time I even sat in a Tesla.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I really don’t know. I do not own a Tesla. I’m not sure if it’s Bluetooth or not. I thought the model y owner said his phone uses the Tesla app as a key. That was the first time I even sat in a Tesla.
As reported in the above article, the phone uses Bluetooth to connect to the car, and works regardless of if the phone and/or car can talk to the wider network. They both have a program with a secret code which rotates with time and requires a certain challenge and response within a certain time. (So someone listening in to the challenge-response can't copy it to get into your car).

-Crissa
Sponsored