tesla-suffers-nationwide-app-server-outage-owners-cant-connect-cars

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Source

Server fun.

Second server reported error

Is it too much to ask? What is wrong with a manual override?
There was no "second server reported error", that post was about the first one that made the news. That post was about how the FSD beta queue didn't save the rating for one of the drives during the server outage. I responded (2nd post on there) that I noticed the same, but the rating for the missing drive was there the next day.

As for the effects of the server outage, there is none to being able to use or drive the car for the vast majority of Tesla owners. Neither the car nor the smartphone that most people use as a key need to be connected to the internet to work together and unlock/lock or drive the car. The key authentication works through Bluetooth. The only reason somebody that uses a phone-as-key might have a problem is that their authentication expires and needs to be renewed with Tesla (happens periodically, but don't know how often). In that case, they should just use their RFID keycard that they can keep in their wallet or phone case (comes with all Model 3, Model Y, and refreshed Model S and X).

Edit to add that I can almost guarantee that most of the small amount of people that had issues were likely ones that had issues using the Tesla app to do something or check something with their car (things other than unlock and drive) and noticed that it could not access the car due to the server issue. They most likely logged out of the Tesla app as a troubleshooting step before trying to log in again. That would cause them to lose the Bluetooth key authentication to unlock and drive the car, and due to the server issue they wouldn't be able to log onto the app until the issue was fixed. If they carried their RFID card like they should, that would allow them to unlock and drive the car. So the moral of the story is: do not log out of the Tesla app if you have connectivity issues and you are not carrying your backup RFID key card.

Last edited:

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
My phone and key card still unlocked my model Y even during the outage.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
All Tesla have manual override.

1. The bluetooth key (using a smartphone) works without internet service. So it was working.
  2. The key fob (if you have one) works without internet service.
  3. The key cards work without internet service. This is your manual override.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
It's true, apparently for people who still carry a flip phone? Also I have no idea what you mean by "nobody carries them" as I saw them sitting right at the desk on both of my trips into a Tesla dealser/SC.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Yes, there is a key card for this very purpose [edit for clarity] people who are unable to get into their car with their phone. I don't carry anything but my phone (no cash, no keys, no key card, nothing else) so I would have been screwed [edit for clarity] had this actually affected the phone car connection. My wife on the other hand has a purse that also carries the card and would have been fine.

There is also a key fob, neither my wife or I have one, that I believe are aftermarket purchase and setup.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3_y-key-fob

Tesla Cybertruck tesla-suffers-nationwide-app-server-outage-owners-cant-connect-cars 1637604289279

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes, there is a key card for this very purpose. I don't carry anything but my phone (no cash, no keys, no key card, nothing else) so I would have been screwed. My wife on the other hand has a purse that also carries the card and would have been fine.
Your phone doesn't have bluetooth?

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Yes, there is a key card for this very purpose. I don't carry anything but my phone (no cash, no keys, no key card, nothing else) so I would have been screwed. My wife on the other hand has a purse that also carries the card and would have been fine.
The phone was still operable during the outage. It still works if you lose internet connection. You just can't use it to REMOTELY control the vehicle.

The fob is a different thing from the card. It's an active RFID module like other cars with touchless entry/start. The card is a contact card that has to be touched to the car to unlock, and again to start.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Your phone doesn't have bluetooth?

-Crissa
I was going on the "locked out of your car" theme as opposed to the "your phone does not work to unlock your car" theme as the original question came from someone whose nick is cybrtrk_maybe. I'll clarify the first post.

chalupacabre

First Name
chalupacabre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag
Wait, what...server outage? Since it didn't impact our M3, why is this a thought?

OP
OP
rr6013

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Yes, there is a key card for this very purpose [edit for clarity] people who are unable to get into their car with their phone. I don't carry anything but my phone (no cash, no keys, no key card, nothing else) so I would have been screwed [edit for clarity] had this actually affected the phone car connection. My wife on the other hand has a purse that also carries the card and would have been fine.

There is also a key fob, neither my wife or I have one, that I believe are aftermarket purchase and setup.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3_y-key-fob
Iā€™m with @DarinCT, no EDC. If it comes to the point which Tesla has started, every mfgr authentication requires a ā€˜deviceā€™ . Then it needs to be carried to operate, then your person will have to bag or stash devices.

Still needs to be a manual override over EDC. Too much electronics.

Shit happens and for a vehicle offroad miles deep into backcountry thatā€™s a life and death scenario that Iā€™m already well aquainted. VW lockout required a hike out in 104Ā°F to flatbed back to civilization in 2014.

I couldnā€™t save myself today as I did 7 yrs ago. Itā€™d likely not end well. I no longer wear a belt, backpack or weight around hips from back injury. Today Iā€™m good for an hour hike. Thatā€™s self-rescue limit is troubling if electronics in the Cybertruck ā€œfritzā€.

Letā€™s manual override Tesla Cybertruck before it causes unnecessary harm or worse. Iā€™d be OK with a regulated 30mph on manual. Its useful for Emergency Only.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
There's no such thing as a manual override on a vehicle that is 100% computer controlled. Nothing for sale today can be driven without a computer. You will never be able to buy a US-legal street vehicle with a manual control ever again.
Sponsored