Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot, Toyota MR2 Spyder
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
  • Banned
Once installed, can the wall charger be (easily) dismounted from its base to keep it (and the cable) from being stolen? Anybody ?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's bolted to the wall and registered to you in the software.

And while charging, the charge cable is locked to a Tesla.

That said, anything can be unbolted from the wall or just cut if thieves really want to. For the most part, I wouldn't consider worrying about it.

-Crissa

OP
OP

sirfartsalot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Baldar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
  • Banned
Imagine, if you will...a wall charger installed at a vacation home. You drive your EV there, planning to recharge for your return trip. You arrive and find that it has been stolen.
I'm worried about that.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Imagine, if you will...a wall charger installed at a vacation home. You drive your EV there, planning to recharge for your return trip. You arrive and find that it has been stolen.
I'm worried about that.
Then are you worried about the door being stolen? The faucets? The windows?

None of these dial home when stolen.

-Crissa

OP
OP

sirfartsalot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Baldar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
  • Banned
Well, we're talking about a $500 piece of hardware, easily sellable on eBay. Doors, windows, faucets? Not so much.
C'mon man...

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Well, we're talking about a $500 piece of hardware, easily sellable on eBay. Doors, windows, faucets? Not so much.
C'mon man...
If people are stealing the whole unit, they are going to have dismantle a piece of hardware on a live 220v circuit. I‘ve worked on live circuits in a pinch, but it’s pretty ballsy and not typical of what your everyday crook is going to dare more than once. It’s certainly not something I would do for $250 - 300 which is what you’d get reselling it on eBay. Likely less since there is a good chance it’ll have scorch marks and burned flesh seared into it.

Plan B: Mount it in the garage and run the cord under the door.

Plan C: Install a 14:50 outlet and bring stash a mobile charger in a secure place.

OP
OP

sirfartsalot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Baldar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
  • Banned
So, maybe someone else could actually ANSWER MY QUESTION?
Can the wall charger be easily removed from its base, to prevent it from being stolen?
I'm thinking I'd de-energize that 60 amp circuit whenever the vacation home is unoccupied. Then, upon my return, I would hate to see it gone.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It's bolted to the wall and registered to you in the software.

And while charging, the charge cable is locked to a Tesla.

That said, anything can be unbolted from the wall or just cut if thieves really want to. For the most part, I wouldn't consider worrying about it.

-Crissa
I have 2 of these and I worry occasionally about them especially after that news article about the theft of chargers. @Crissa is right that they are bolted down and that the cable could just be cut. Ultimately, if someone wants to steal your [whatever] they will. I suppose you could put your wall connector in the garage, or inside a lockable cabinet, but that only slows the thief down.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have 2 of these and I worry occasionally about them especially after that news article about the theft of chargers. @Crissa is right that they are bolted down and that the cable could just be cut. Ultimately, if someone wants to steal your [whatever] they will. I suppose you could put your wall connector in the garage, or inside a lockable cabinet, but that only slows the thief down.
Police are looking for an entire cabin that simply vanished in the dark of night in Michigan. Authorities suspect the 28ft by 12ft structure was pulled onto a trailer.

https://news.yahoo.com/man-entire-cabin-stolen-michigan-171926436.html

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Another know-nothing responder. Clearly, you are not familiar with the details of the Tesla wall charger. It has base that is firmly attached to the wall and is hard-wired. The charging unit it then attached to the base.
So, can the charging unit be removed (by its owner) and stored out of harm's (or criminal's) way, leaving the base on the wall?
Please! Someone with knowledge about this...reply.
You’ve been given 3 very reasonable answers.

Since apparently the multiple answers provided aren’t helping your exact needs. I suggest you RTFM. The answers are there.

OP
OP

sirfartsalot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Baldar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I'm using the terminology from the Tesla Gen3 wall charger installation...
The "Wirebox" is anchored to the wall and hard-wired to the 240v./60A circuit.
Then, the "Main Unit" is installed onto the "Wirebox".
My question: Can the "Main Unit" be removed from the "Wirebox" for security purposes?

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Another know-nothing responder...

So, can the charging unit be removed (by its owner) and stored out of harm's (or criminal's) way, leaving the base on the wall?
If you are so determined, the answer is "yes".
Please try it at your own risk before writing not very polite reply
😱

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Ultimately, if someone wants to steal your [whatever] they will. I suppose you could put your wall connector in the garage, or inside a lockable cabinet, but that only slows the thief down.

I agree, good option to put the Tesla wall unit in a lockable cabinet large enough to include the cable and if you have alarm system at the house put a alarm sensor/contact on the cabinet door.

Just one example there are others
$240 Charging Station for Tesla Model 3 Y Charging Cable Organizer Box Accessories Third-Generation Charging Pile Wall Mounting Connector Metal Home Charger Box for Model X S Indoor Outdoor
https://www.amazon.com/YONZEE-Organizer-Accessories-Third-Generation-Connector/dp/B09PD9N6KR

If your county/city has electrical code standards it will probably be illegal to make Tesla wall unit removable (has to be hardwired).
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.