Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Google Autonomous Division Waymo CEO Resigned & Moving to Austin, Texas

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Will Hire More Than 10K Workers For Austin Texas Cybertruck Factory 1_5a54aaf7-d64c-4ffb-be94-8578f2ddbf06_1600x

John Krafcik, CEO, Waymo, on Centre Stage during the opening day of Web Summit 2017 at Altice Arena in Lisbon. Photo: Stephen McCarthy/Web Summit via Sportsfile

Waymo CEO John Krafcik has announced that he is stepping down and relocating to Austin, Texas

https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tes...waymo-ceo-resigned-and-moving-to-austin-texas

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I didn't hear the 'moving to Austin' bit, before.

The big question is, is he going to Apple, Tesla, or something else?

-Crissa

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
The housing market will be a nightmare soon.
In my hometown there was a huge cotton mill back in the day (Late 1800's to 1959) that was a major employer for many years.
One of the early incentives for workers was the "Mill Village" where workers lived in company owned homes, bought groceries at company stores, sent their kids to company schools and had healthcare through company doctors and clinics. Workers could walk to work as the village was located just behind the mill.
I wonder if Tesla has considered this type of arrangement to house employees and see to their well being.
If they had daycare through high school and technical schools they could literally raise workers to move into jobs as they aged.
I realize there is a potential for abuse under such a system but it would offer a lot of incentive to workers if the "Company Town" was located close to the plant and workers just had to board a shuttle for a quick commute to work. It would sure beat the typical morning commute that many workers dread and have to contend with to keep a good paying job.
Company stores could give deep discounts to workers and purchases could be deducted from their paychecks. Telsa could turn this aspect over to third party vendors to avoid getting too far down in the weeds from their base business of building cars.
What say the faithful on a concept like this?

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
Just for comparison

GM Arlington, TX plant: 5.75 million square feet(534,192 square meters) on 250 acres(101 hectares) - 5,332 employees - Three production shifts - UAW Local 276
  • GMC
    • Yukon
    • Yukon XL
  • Chevrolet
    • Suburban
    • Tahoe
  • Cadillac
    • Escalade
    • Escalade ESV

Toyota San Antonio,TX plant: 2 million square feet(185,806 square meters) on 2,000 acres(810 hectares) - 2,542 employees - Non-union

Tundra and Tacoma

Giga Austin plant : ~5 million square feet(464,515 square meters) ~10,000 employees - Union?

Cybertruck ,Semi, Model Y and Model 3, Batteries

I wonder where all the employees are going to park?

Any guesses on how many employees per shift?
Thanks for this summary. In comparison 10k quoted by Elon seems too high, I wonder if this includes SpaceX employees as well, Starship production is more labour intensive.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for this summary. In comparison 10k quoted by Elon seems too high, I wonder if this includes SpaceX employees as well, Starship production is more labour intensive.
Tesla has 10k at Fremont. Austin is supposed to make even more units.

-Crissa

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
"....through 2022"..... don't miss that prepositional phrase (I think).

I don't think these are all long term positions.

NEVERMIND.. .missed the "will hire" part.

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
Tesla has 10k at Fremont. Austin is supposed to make even more units.

-Crissa
I doubt Giga Austin will produce in 2022 as many cars as Fremont is producing now.
Fremont produces now S, X, M3 and MY, so less economies of scale. S/X are the most labour intensive in Tesla's lineup, M3 is close second and MY probably has the most automated production line at Fremont.
In contrast Giga Austin is supposed to get the most automated production line for the MY which should surpass the equivalent at Fremont.
I was expecting Tesla to introduce new wire harnesses that require less human manipulation, guess that's not happening for Austin MY, fingers crossed for the CT.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was expecting Tesla to introduce new wire harnesses that require less human manipulation, guess that's not happening for Austin MY, fingers crossed for the CT.
Yes, but the target number of units is going to try to be more than Fremont. Even if you lower the per-unit labor, if you raise the number of units...

...They're also making Semi there, which will be pretty labor-intensive, too.

-Crissa
Sponsored