Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
No. 22*26 is 572. You're above by about a hundred miles and without a load. Yeah, you can put bigger tanks on it, but that costa money.
A family member has a sport model. Don't know if that makes a difference but she gets 650 miles. 90% driving on the highway.
Sponsored

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I can drop that 700 miles to 125 on a regular day. It's not just a EV issue but specific work(physics definition of work) still requires a set amount of energy. It will truly be the start of the New World when battery energy density is that of petroleum. Won't happen for years though.
density isn't that critical for cars.... for certain planes yes due to range needs ....but for cars you only need parity with cost.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
How about of those millions of apartment and condo dwellers who can't have a charger where they live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
do those same condos and apartments have gas stations on site? ????????????

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
What if all the chargers are being used? What if all I want is the bio break and to continue on? What if I don’t like the area? I can think of more good reasons to bio break but not charge but I like the idea of having the option of where to stop for a longer break. I also have no idea what the charging situation will be like for a CT. The batteries, the charging rate, and the charging capacity would all need to improve significantly to charge a 200 KWH battery pack in a reasonable amount of time. And you know this as well as I do; no need for glib and obvious jabs.
what do you do when the gas pump is being used? you wait.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
When you reside in Canada range is always going to matter. We are a large country with a small population base. It’s a 800 kilometer drive to get across the island where I live. There isn’t any Tesla infrastructure. So I would appreciate 700 miles. Especially since the real world mileages are always lower then the EPA. Never mind trying to tow something also, it doesn’t have anything to with range anxiety. It’s just trying to meet a travel schedule.
where is this 800km wide island?

800 km for me is Central BC to Vancouver... only half the way to the northern end of BC....so yes that range is good in that application.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hope the first several hundred to even several thousand CT owners really use the truck to it's max capabilities and not baby it.

Why you ask?

Well, what I think is going to happen is that Tesla will be gathering data on the CT'S performance and battery usage and assess if the battery range needs to be upgraded through an OTA software upgrade. Then the + on the range will be added to. ?

Use it to the max, tow to the max.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla's 700 Mile Battery Is Coming Sooner Than You Think 749b4007bc8e203ade01c07472ff6d509f2f425192123959a3764a7133e3a14e

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's really a control thing. There are some people that just have to tell other people what they need and don't need. "You don't need that big of a house" "You don't need that many cars/trucks/vehicles" so on and so forth.
I don't think you're reading that right? I'm not sure I'm reading here.

SUVs cost more to maintain, they are more dangerous, they cost more per mile. And very few people use their features - as I've said I do lots of dirt-roading in a front-wheel-drive hatchback. I use more of them than most trucks I see will ever do, and I've got crappy clearance for a car.

The control is the reason they buy for. That sitting high. The illusion of safety being up and higher. They're safer than someone in my car - but only because others are also driving big, empty boxes. But they're not safer than in a Tesla or Volvo. And certainly pedestrians and cyclists are less safe with SUVs around.

If there's any vehicle that could use 700 mile range, it's something like the Cybertruck, though. I hope they give us some way to plug into the battery pack from the back. Being able to have the option to just add range, charging, solar, or charge other vehicles would be the ultimate in EV utility.

Then we wouldn't need 700 miles. We could throw some extra battery packs in the back... But only when we need them. I could carry extra water instead of range if I needed water instead (and I often do, in the desert.)

-Crissa

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And certainly pedestrians and cyclists are less safe with SUVs around.
LOL

Being able to have the option to just add range, charging, solar, or charge other vehicles would be the ultimate in EV utility.
Options are always a good thing.

Tonyk2034

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
where is this 800km wide island?

800 km for me is Central BC to Vancouver... only half the way to the northern end of BC....so yes that range is good in that application.
We don’t have that many Islands in Canada look as far east in the country as you can. There you will discover the Island.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’ve been saying this for 5 years. Range is King.

Forget about the weight, forget about driving only half charged or whatever. Always... buy as much a range as you can afford. If you don’t own a Tesla now, you don’t know what your talking about.

ElectricSheep

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
Apples and oranges argument really.

When talking about range it's different with ICE. It doesn't take long to fill up an ICE and fuel stations are rarely a problem. So range is never the problem.

With an EV available charging stations are the problem mostly since the charging time is becoming less of an issue.

It's mostly about travel with EV's and not daily commutes back and forth to work. For some people range is not an issue but it seems those same people want to fit their situation for all or most people. Since they don't need it then it should not ever be considered as a problem.

Not if you think of it from from a different point of view.
We bought a 2019 Jeep Rubicon instead of a Tesla Model 3 last July. I did a Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) breakdown (I have worked in the Mechanical Engineering field for a few decades) and the Tesla would be cheaper over 6 years. The issue is the Model 3 can't go a large number of areas the Jeep can go. You can't take the top and doors off and it simply doesn't have the fun factor in comparison. We bought the Jeep in Idaho and saved $8,000 compared to our local dealers (and I used the $8,000 lower price point for the TCO). We drove through very remote areas of Nevada and Oregon that I couldn't have made in a Tesla due to the limit of around 260 miles of real-world range.

I have an order in for a tri-motor Cybertruck and if the range was greater than 500 miles, that would simply be a bonus. I ordered on Sunday morning after the reveal and am the 31,xxx order. I would really like to drive one to get a feel for the vehicle and see what kind of soul it has. If you haven't driven a Jeep Wrangler it is a vehicle that invites exploration and just seeing where this road or trail goes. The community is massive and this is a tremendous advantage since it is the most modified vehicle on the planet with arguably the biggest aftermarket support and you get high quality answers from forums in minutes to resolve issues or get questions answered. The other open ended question for me is when an electric conversion will be available for them. This will happen and I estimate it will happen in less than 5 years.

I follow all the Tesla sites daily and am so glad Elon is driving the transition to BEV and putting pressure on fossil fuel suppliers. I really wish FCA would take Elon up on his option to sell motors, batteries and other things to other companies. Also access to the SuperCharger network at a fair cost per kWh would be a bonus. Since FCA is almost single-handedly paying for Giga Berlin with fuel economy offsets it would be a great opportunity to develop a stronger relationship. Tesla can't make every type of vehicle and we need more manufacturers making the switch.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
We don’t have that many Islands in Canada look as far east in the country as you can. There you will discover the Island.
Speaking of that island: are any of the "coming soon" chargers shown on PlugShare actually coming soon?
Sponsored