Teslas and hitting a moose...

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
I know Tesla has driver assist features to prevent hitting pedestrians. Anyone know how effective these systems are against wildlife strikes at night? If a moose steps in front of a tesla driving 55mph, will the tesla see the moose before the driver, and will it stop the car to prevent a collision?
Sponsored

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag

Based on this video, I'd assume it's no issue.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Tesla’s optical cameras ”see” better than the human eye and the car will react faster than human reflexes.

The combination adds an extra level of protection but is not foolproof.

Though, you made me wonder, if the car sees a moose, or other animal at the side of road, does the car distinguish the animal and predicts The death wish of the animal? Wondering if IDs affect predictions or just the motion of the object.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Oh, good question. I want to follow to see what answers it gets. I believe that one of the FSD videos I watched showed it identify a cat and slow in anticipation that it would run into the lane.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I wonder if it uses the rear camera image in decision making. I imagine it would slow down the process a bit but I have seen deer crossing the road at incredible speed (faster than seen in this video). One of my relatives whose reflex is better than mine could not avoid the deer at a three lane highway with ample room on both sides. I am thinking a scenario that software decides slamming on the break is more likely to avoid accident or more likely to reduce damage. Would it consider if a car is behind it? or considers that the responsibility of the FSD in their car?

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
It is not going to stop all accidents of unavoidable fauna, but it will be better than you.
Or me.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
It only does as good as it can do. It will not risk the car to avoid wildlife, and if the wildlife shows up too quickly, it can't avoid it.

-Crissa
@Crissa is Right-on.

Defensive Driving tactics and philosophy would dictate not veering the vehicle out of its lane of travel to avoid an animal. For risk avoidance of striking another vehicle or causing further accident AI algorithms incorporate best practices prioritizing emergency braking over avoidance by steer.

Sadly for vehicles, there exits a point of “no operation”(NOP) which amounts to a quantity of time in which code execution and mechanical reaction fail to avoid an inevitable strike. Hence NOP would allow the vehicle strike as safety measure.

OP
OP
electricAK

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
The moose is loose.

Question answered specifically.
This is amazing. Exactly what I would hope it could do. Didn't send the car into a skid on icy roads, and didn't hit the moose! So cool. (EDIT) Maybe it did skid a little bit, but kept the car under control which is the best you can hope for.
Sponsored