Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
AC runs off of 240v. The AC in the main living area has a thermostat but the one in the bedroom will run until manually shutoff. They definitely surge at startup.
You may want to double check this. I'm pretty sure that the AC units run off at 120V. One is on one leg of the 240V and the other is on the other leg.
AFAIK, it's the same units that they put on single AC campers that use the TT plug 120V @30A
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
One of the options mentioned above is to install a 240 outlet in the RV. Then charge the CT while plugged into the RV vs plugged into the campsite post.
I’d like to see the charge rate / kw if you ever attempt that set up.
Your vid showed 15 miles / 11 hours to full charge. If CT is charging off the RV & and RV is connected to campground post, I wonder if that would drastically reduce the CT charge rate. By half??
Always GREAT and “real life application” videos. Keep ‘Em coming. Thanks!!
This isn't the greatest idea. It may sound like one, but it isn't. The truck wants to use 100% of the capacity of the plug. And the camper tends to want to use a lot as well. Sure, you can roll the charging speed down in the truck, but you must remember to do it each time.

At the worst, do something like use a 6-20 plug that limits the Cybertruck's pull. Tesla sells the adapter for the mobile cable Gen 2 NEMA Adapters (tesla.com)

OP
OP
ButterEV

ButterEV

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
One of the options mentioned above is to install a 240 outlet in the RV. Then charge the CT while plugged into the RV vs plugged into the campsite post.
I’d like to see the charge rate / kw if you ever attempt that set up.
Your vid showed 15 miles / 11 hours to full charge. If CT is charging off the RV & and RV is connected to campground post, I wonder if that would drastically reduce the CT charge rate. By half??
Always GREAT and “real life application” videos. Keep ‘Em coming. Thanks!!
I appreciate the kind words

OP
OP
ButterEV

ButterEV

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
You may want to double check this. I'm pretty sure that the AC units run off at 120V. One is on one leg of the 240V and the other is on the other leg.
AFAIK, it's the same units that they put on single AC campers that use the TT plug 120V @30A
I’ll double check. I do know that it won’t run off the batteries

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I’ll double check. I do know that it won’t run off the batteries
That's done on purpose. I think that you mentioned that you've got a 4 bank or probably 100AH batteries. that's 4800W when new. Which equates to the AC going out in middle of the night as the batteries empty.
You probably have a notice not to run the forced air heat off the batteries overnight as well. Just the heater fan will kill them.

It's also the inverter sizing. You probably have a 1500W inverter, ACs need a lot more.

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
I was disappointed. I’d much rather charge at the campground rather than having to find a local supercharger then leaving the family to go charge
I assume they fix this hopefully with software, seems crazy that you can't use power from the truck when charging.

TexlaDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 & X
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
If campground power post only has one 220/240VAC outlet, connecting the Cybertruck first and RV into Cybertruck is inefficient (AC to DC, Cybertruck inverter back to AC to power RV), stresses Cybertruck electrical system, and also means if you need to make a trip in Cybertruck you need to unplug both Cybertruck & RV.

A better solution might be to have an electrician make you a small portable 2-socket panel box that you has plug into the campground power. This portable box would allow both Cybertruck & RV to get power directly from campground power. You might have to lower Cybertruck charge rate (lower amps) and/or RV power usage (use only one AC) to keep total power usage within rating of campground power post.
I was thinking the same thing. Get a splitter made up. Might be able to get one online.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Except that it doesn't accept "My campsite" as an option.

You have to roll it down at every camp site that you go to.
well sure, but that's just something you need to roll into your routine. If you stay more than one night though and end up using your CT to go a few places, you will not have to reset it every time you come back and plug back in.

I'd say there should be an option to set the amperage limit to a static value, but idiots wouldn't take the time to understand what that means and then call Tesla to complain that their car is charging slowly at home.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
well sure, but that's just something you need to roll into your routine. If you stay more than one night though and end up using your CT to go a few places, you will not have to reset it every time you come back and plug back in.

I'd say there should be an option to set the amperage limit to a static value, but idiots wouldn't take the time to understand what that means and then call Tesla to complain that their car is charging slowly at home.
Let's simplify it then.

What's the right number to roll it down to?

(That's pretty much akin to asking what level I should charge my battery to)
There is no right answer.

Single AC campers are probably using the TT 120V @30A plug. But are the TT and NEMA 14-50 on the same breaker? What about the upstream breaker?
2Two AC campers would use what? 3 AC campers would use what? What about the microwave being used? What about the inverter charging the house batteries?

You may get away with it at times, you may get out of a campground as well. Hopefully you don't get charged for melting the service cable.

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Let's simplify it then.

What's the right number to roll it down to?

(That's pretty much akin to asking what level I should charge my battery to)
There is no right answer.

Single AC campers are probably using the TT 120V @30A plug. But are the TT and NEMA 14-50 on the same breaker? What about the upstream breaker?
2Two AC campers would use what? 3 AC campers would use what? What about the microwave being used? What about the inverter charging the house batteries?

You may get away with it at times, you may get out of a campground as well. Hopefully you don't get charged for melting the service cable.
The right number will depend on someone's specific use case.

Also, why would a patron pay to fix or correct defective or deficient electrical infrastructure at a campground?

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
The right number will depend on someone's specific use case.

Also, why would a patron pay to fix or correct defective or deficient electrical infrastructure at a campground?
Because it's a campground, not a chargerground. I dare say that something in the camping contract could apply.
Sponsored