TFL Says Cybertruck Won't Offroad (Well)...and I Respond (Newest Video)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Gears? We don't need no stinking gears! One of the big advantages of electric motors is that they can produce maximum torque at 0 speed. That's why BEVs don't have gears (other than the reduction gears in the differentials).

H20

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck trimotor
Occupation
Plumbing foreman
Country flag
Go get'em truck guy! These guys are grasping at straws to explain why they spent so much money on antiques!

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Dismissing the Cybertruck by comparing it to a 1949 Willeys Jeep, says so much more about the person making the remarks than the Cybertruck itself !

Suggesting the 45 hp Willey's Jeep is better because gearing will multiply torque is right, and in practical terms absurdly wrong
at the same time !

They have made gear sets where the input shaft spins at high RPM and the final drive is frozen in concrete !
Your 45 hp Willey's Jeep is going nowhere compared to the Cybertruck. Gearing will not overcome everything.

P.S. I don't want to speak disparagingly of the 1949 Jeep, it was more than admirable in its day, and accomplished much,
but seriously, there's wrong, and then there's your out of your mind, drinking the cool -aid, off to meet Allah and 72 virgins wrong ;-)

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I'm curious with Cybertuck having all those cameras and computer power. Will it be possible for it to do 3-D mapping of the terrain in front of you to help pick your line and adjust suspension on the fly. And for that matter, could it see an obstacle/rock in your path that's a possible issue and give you a warning. I can think of tons of benefits to having all that self driving equipment on board even while off-road. 49 Willy's BA HUMBUG!!

Last edited:

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
I'm curious with Cybertuck having all those cameras and computer power. Will it be possible for it to do 3-D mapping of the terrain in front of you to help pick your line and adjust suspension on the fly. And for that matter, could it see an obstacle/rock in your path that's a possible issue and give you a warning. I can think of tons of benefits to having all that self driving equipment on board even while off-road. 49 Willy's BA HUMBUG!!
Now you're talking some next level Blade Runner Cyber future cool stuff.

Especially if it starts mapping wildlife crouching in the bush's and hiding in the tree's !

I can imagine the complaints at Elon on twitter :

I was stuck on a trail, the 3D mapping showed a rabbit hiding behind the bush, when I got out for a piss,
a phucken leopard pounced on my head !
I want a refund, my leg back, a free ventilator, and crutch's. . . . and don't bullshit me that their coming in the next over the air update !

SEER

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, ZR-2, K3500 dually, Cybertruck
Country flag
I had a HUMMER XLC2 in 1994. Articulated hubs are what sets the HUMVEE apart from the rest. HANDS DOWN!!
imo that's the only setup that'll beat Cybertruck.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
I had a HUMMER XLC2 in 1994. Articulated hubs are what sets the HUMVEE apart from the rest. HANDS DOWN!!
imo that's the only setup that'll beat Cybertruck.
Yep, Portal Axles are fantastic off road for a couple of reasons.
The biggest being enabling greater ground clearance.

Whats a big disadvantage for ground clearance, differential housings.
What the Cybertruck does NOT suffer from, and every other (production vehicle, not army personnel carrier) about to be deposed champion of off roading does :cool:

Camper Van Someren

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS, 2015 Sienna AWD, 2002 Ranger
Country flag
Totally agree with your video! I would say try to edit them down some. I have time for 10-minute YouTube breaks, but not 30... Still, thanks for making these - you are an asset to our community!

Last edited:

JPHiggs

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
about to retire an '07 xTerra for a CyberTruck
Country flag
Nice Todd! (Liked and subscribed)
I checked out most of the other videos, too. Thanks for the info, can't wait for the next updates.

Camper Van Someren

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS, 2015 Sienna AWD, 2002 Ranger
Country flag
Oh, one other issue. I decided to look up the H1 dimensions and they really aren’t that close to the CT. Even if Elon shrinks everything by 3%, the CT will be a whole meter longer with 0.4m longer wheelbase , meaning on average 0.3m or 1’ longer overhangs at each end. That is going to give much worse approach (37° vs 72°), break-over (CT not published) and departure (28° vs 37°) angles so CT won’t be able to do all that fancy stuff in your Hummer montage.

For reference, Raptor has 30.2° and 23.1° approach and departure, Rubicon has 42.2° and 32.5°, so the CT is about half way in between with 37° and 28°. I’m totally fine with the CT being the same size as a Raptor with better geometry, even if the geometry isn’t as good as a Rubicon or H1.

You acknowledged that the CT is never going to be as good at technical rock-crawling so we’re on the same page there. I just think it’s wrong to equate the CT to the H1 just because the clearance is the same.

Tesla Cybertruck TFL Says Cybertruck Won't Offroad (Well)...and I Respond (Newest Video) FAB0E338-8C41-4ADC-8A8B-02A9E3BD8902

Tesla Cybertruck TFL Says Cybertruck Won't Offroad (Well)...and I Respond (Newest Video) E62C32C5-BD00-4205-A058-6E40CD4CA59A

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I sure am glad you cleared that up, because I really don't think I'd want to drive a Hummer as a family vehicle. Personally, I think the reason why TFL made their video is to get views. By creating controversy a lot of people in this world get attention. Heck, for that matter a lot of people think the broken windows at the reveal were to create controversy and it sure grabbed a lot of attention. I would imagine less than 5% of people that ordered the Cybertruck put down a reservation because they thought it would be close to having the ability of a Hummer. Actually early on there were a lot of people wondering about parking the Cybertuck. I for one am glad they're shrinking it down just a bit. As for off road ability, I doubt anyone here thinks the Cybertruck won't be more capable, then our own skills.

OP
OP
cybertrucktruckguy

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Oh, one other issue. I decided to look up the H1 dimensions and they really aren’t that close to the CT. Even if Elon shrinks everything by 3%, the CT will be a whole meter longer with 0.4m longer wheelbase , meaning on average 0.3m or 1’ longer overhangs at each end. That is going to give much worse approach (37° vs 72°), break-over (CT not published) and departure (28° vs 37°) angles so CT won’t be able to do all that fancy stuff in your Hummer montage.

For reference, Raptor has 30.2° and 23.1° approach and departure, Rubicon has 42.2° and 32.5°, so the CT is about half way in between with 37° and 28°. I’m totally fine with the CT being the same size as a Raptor with better geometry, even if the geometry isn’t as good as a Rubicon or H1.

You acknowledged that the CT is never going to be as good at technical rock-crawling so we’re on the same page there. I just think it’s wrong to equate the CT to the H1 just because the clearance is the same.

FAB0E338-8C41-4ADC-8A8B-02A9E3BD8902.jpeg

E62C32C5-BD00-4205-A058-6E40CD4CA59A.jpeg
I’m good with something halfway between a raptor and a hummer. Thanks for the correction.
Sponsored