RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
I reserved a Cybertruck Tri Motor on Dec 3rd, 2019 thinking it might be available when my current cars lease ends this summer (Range Rover). I have no idea where I am in the delivery schedule que but with my current vehicle coming off lease soon I need a car. With an strong interest in Tesla and EV's in general plus the uncertain status of Cybertruck delivery I began thinking a used Model X would be a good short term choice.

I had never driven a Tesla so I went to a Tesla store near me just to look around. When I got there I saw a Model Y being prepped for delivery and was surprised how it looked and how roomy it was. I'm 6'5" and felt the larger Model X would be the only suitable model. They offered me a test drive in the Y and out of curiosity I said sure. I was given a standard dual motor LD model and a quick primer in Tesla driving before being sent on my way. The next 30 minutes completely changed my perception of what an automobile should be.

To say I was impressed is an understatement. My comment to the CS person (they are not salesmen) was "that is the best car I have ever driven" in my 55 years of owning and driving many cars. That was my unvarnished first drive experience of a Tesla vehicle and reflected what a fantastic job this out of the box thinking company is doing. The understated style, jaw dropping technology and POWER of that little dual motor Tesla Model Y sold me on the spot. I placed the order that day (June 2nd) and before the month ended, I had a new Model Y sitting in my garage.

I decided on a 3 year lease for the Y as the the Cybertruck is still my vehicle of choice but due to the crazy power of the dual motor Y, I did change my reservation from the Tri-motor to a dual motor Cybertruck. The Cybertruck will most likely be a purchase and may well be my last automobile purchase. That said, my mother lived to be 104 (she passed away in Jan) so a Tesla beyond Cybertruck could be in order.

It is very gratifying for me to be able to purchase transportation from a new American company who is driven by perhaps the greatest innovator of his generation. This company and these cars are the result of true genius and those people don't come along very often.
Sponsored

MassCrash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I felt the same way. I bought my model Y performance a year ago. It is primarily my wife's car. I never had a second of buyers remorse. It was worth every penny and I don't think I could go back. It is literally fun to drive. I have bought new cars before and you walk away sometimes feeling you got taken advantage of. With Tesla, it was nice knowing that everyone else was paying the same price and I didn't get cheated. The power and performance was way beyond anything I have ever driven. I use my 2005 chevy silverado that is on its last leg. I can't wait for my CT trimotor!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
You may want to go back to the tri-motor for the CT, because it will be much heavier than the Model Y and to get the 'feeling' you are describing may need the extra oomph the tri-motor can provide. But if the specs are true maybe you will be fine with the Dual. I have driven the Model Y (performance) and it was, indeed, a very pleasant experience.

OP
OP

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The reason I ordered the Tri-Motor was the 500 mile range, not the 2.8 second 0-60. With the proliferation of Supercharger stations, 300-400 mile range and 4.8 0-60 of the Dual Motor will be just fine.

Tesla Cybertruck The Cybertruck was my intro to Tesla Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 4.19.08 PM

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The reason I ordered the Tri-Motor was the 500 mile range, not the 2.8 second 0-60. With the proliferation of Supercharger stations, 300-400 mile range and 4.8 0-60 of the Dual Motor will be just fine.
I think a lot of people feel the same. Range is so much more important than 0-60 time. While it will be nice to quickly get up to speed on a highway, it isn't really too important as long as you can do it as fast as a normal truck. Also it's likely that a 0-60 in 2.9 seconds will require a specific setup for the truck like tires and wheel size, and might even require a surface that is prepped.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I think a lot of people feel the same. Range is so much more important than 0-60 time. While it will be nice to quickly get up to speed on a highway, it isn't really too important as long as you can do it as fast as a normal truck. Also it's likely that a 0-60 in 2.9 seconds will require a specific setup for the truck like tires and wheel size, and might even require a surface that is prepped.
Frankly, a sub-3s 0-60 time in any car in pretty insane, in a truck it's certifiably nuts.

Really, 4.5 seconds is plenty quick enough, but anything in the 3 second range is ridiculous. Not that I'm complaining, so if the 2.9 is on special tires on a prepped surface that's just fine, because it will still be in the 3 second range in real world conditions. I confess, I will enjoy eating a few porches at the lights, although I'd try not to make a habit out of it. ?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Frankly, a sub-3s 0-60 time in any car in pretty insane, in a truck it's certifiably nuts.

Really, 4.5 seconds is plenty quick enough, but anything in the 3 second range is ridiculous. Not that I'm complaining, so if the 2.9 is on special tires on a prepped surface that's just fine, because it will still be in the 3 second range in real world conditions. I confess, I will enjoy eating a few porches at the lights, although I'd try not to make a habit out of it. ?
I'll be probably setting aside a week every month or two for putting on my smaller wheels and performance tires and hanging out down to the track, ready to embarass anyone who wants to race. I'm very good at restraining myself when it comes to showing off on public roads.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I'll be probably setting aside a week every month or two for putting on my smaller wheels and performance tires and hanging out down to the track, ready to embarass anyone who wants to race. I'm very good at restraining myself when it comes to showing off on public roads.
Probably a good skill to have!

Tesla Cybertruck The Cybertruck was my intro to Tesla Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 1.18.32 PM

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I reserved a Cybertruck Tri Motor on Dec 3rd, 2019 thinking it might be available when my current cars lease ends this summer (Range Rover). I have no idea where I am in the delivery schedule que but with my current vehicle coming off lease soon I need a car. With an strong interest in Tesla and EV's in general plus the uncertain status of Cybertruck delivery I began thinking a used Model X would be a good short term choice.

I had never driven a Tesla so I went to a Tesla store near me just to look around. When I got there I saw a Model Y being prepped for delivery and was surprised how it looked and how roomy it was. I'm 6'5" and felt the larger Model X would be the only suitable model. They offered me a test drive in the Y and out of curiosity I said sure. I was given a standard dual motor LD model and a quick primer in Tesla driving before being sent on my way. The next 30 minutes completely changed my perception of what an automobile should be.

To say I was impressed is an understatement. My comment to the CS person (they are not salesmen) was "that is the best car I have ever driven" in my 55 years of owning and driving many cars. That was my unvarnished first drive experience of a Tesla vehicle and reflected what a fantastic job this out of the box thinking company is doing. The understated style, jaw dropping technology and POWER of that little dual motor Tesla Model Y sold me on the spot. I placed the order that day (June 2nd) and before the month ended, I had a new Model Y sitting in my garage.

I decided on a 3 year lease for the Y as the the Cybertruck is still my vehicle of choice but due to the crazy power of the dual motor Y, I did change my reservation from the Tri-motor to a dual motor Cybertruck. The Cybertruck will most likely be a purchase and may well be my last automobile purchase. That said, my mother lived to be 104 (she passed away in Jan) so a Tesla beyond Cybertruck could be in order.

It is very gratifying for me to be able to purchase transportation from a new American company who is driven by perhaps the greatest innovator of his generation. This company and these cars are the result of true genius and those people don't come along very often.
Thanks for sharing. Reading this brought back the feeling I had my first time as well. Blew me off the earth!!! FLIPN AMAZING EXPERIENCE DUDE!! ?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag

One of the reasons CT is the first Tesla I consider as a possibility for me is the ride. I care much more about comfort than handling and I have heard despite comfortable seats, long trips especially on bad roads can get rough on Y and 3 Because of tires and wheels. What is your experience? Have you gone on any extended road trips? Do you feel the bumps like sport cars? Or it is comfortable enough for you?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Ummm, no. The Tri-motor will not require special tires or a prepped surface to hit Tesla's performance numbers 0-60 mph. Just take delivery, come to a stop on any relatively smooth, clean and dry pavement and then floor it. You will do a sub 3 second 0-60 run.

Extra range is nice when exploring off the beaten path and I'm a big fan of having plenty of extra range even if it's not strictly needed. But, having lived with 3 second 0-60 mph acceleration in my P3D for the last 3 years, I can tell you it still hasn't lost it's luster. In fact, it has become the new normal for me and I would have a hard time going back to slow cars.

Our 2010 F150 with it's 4.6L V-8 and six speed automatic feels antiquated and hopelessly weak and ineffectual anytime I want to change speed or move into another lane. Just to do "normal" maneuver requires a lot of time, noise and cringing as the engine revs up and the transmission drops two or three gears and there is a loud sucking noise as I can seemingly hear all the gasoline being pumped into the cylinders and watch the gas gauge move closer to empty. And it seems to take forever. The point is, once you become accustomed to all that effortless power and the freedom to change speed at will, anything less will seem limiting.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Ummm, no. The Tri-motor will not require special tires or a prepped surface to hit Tesla's performance numbers 0-60 mph. Just take delivery, come to a stop on any relatively smooth, clean and dry pavement and then floor it. You will do a sub 3 second 0-60 run.

Extra range is nice when exploring off the beaten path and I'm a big fan of having plenty of extra range even if it's not strictly needed. But, having lived with 3 second 0-60 mph acceleration in my P3D for the last 3 years, I can tell you it still hasn't lost it's luster. In fact, it has become the new normal for me and I would have a hard time going back to slow cars.

Our 2010 F150 with it's 4.6L V-8 and six speed automatic feels antiquated and hopelessly weak and ineffectual anytime I want to change speed or move into another lane. Just to do "normal" maneuver requires a lot of time, noise and cringing as the engine revs up and the transmission drops two or three gears and there is a loud sucking noise as I can seemingly hear all the gasoline being pumped into the cylinders and watch the gas gauge move closer to empty. And it seems to take forever. The point is, once you become accustomed to all that effortless power and the freedom to change speed at will, anything less will seem limiting.
The Model S Plaid required a prepped surface to do 0-60 in under 2 seconds. While these prepped surfaces don't offer massive reductions, the plaid hasn't done 0-60 on a flat unprepped surface in under 2 seconds as far as I have seen from official reports.

So with the Cybertruck, I still think it's likely that we will probably have a 0-60 just above 3 seconds. That's still absolutely amazing for a truck.

OP
OP

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One of the reasons CT is the first Tesla I consider as a possibility for me is the ride. I care much more about comfort than handling and I have heard despite comfortable seats, long trips especially on bad roads can get rough on Y and 3 Because of tires and wheels. What is your experience? Have you gone on any extended road trips? Do you feel the bumps like sport cars? Or it is comfortable enough for you?
I'm exactly 75 miles into ownership so not enough data to say much about the ride quality. The seats in the Y are fantastic and on decent road surfaces the ride has been good. Tesla makes it easy for a prospective buyer to judge these things for themselves by offering reservation based 20-30 minute Test Drives on all 4 models. I'm sure they will add the Cybertruck to that excellent demo program. That's what sold me.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
The Model S Plaid required a prepped surface to do 0-60 in under 2 seconds. While these prepped surfaces don't offer massive reductions, the plaid hasn't done 0-60 on a flat unprepped surface in under 2 seconds as far as I have seen from official reports.

So with the Cybertruck, I still think it's likely that we will probably have a 0-60 just above 3 seconds. That's still absolutely amazing for a truck.
There is a world of difference between a sub 2 second 0-60 and a sub 3 second 0-60. The two are not even in the same ballpark so it's not clear why you are using the need of a prepped surface on the former to justify the claim that a prepped surface might be required on the latter.

Your claim makes no sense.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
My claim is that Tesla has released a 0-60 time that required specific wheel size, specific tires, and a prepped surface and that there is a possibility the same could be true for the Cybertruck to meet it's listed 0-60 time. I'm not hating on Tesla or anything like that, I think their 0-60 times are amazing even on a normal road with whatever wheels and tires someone decides to use.

I don't know why you are trying to say it's not clear. They used a prepped surface for the Model S plaid and I think it's possible that they might use a prepped surface for the 0-60 times of both the Model X Plaid and the Cybertruck. Doesn't really matter to me, I won't even be going to anywhere that preps its surface, nor will I be timing my 0-60 time. I'm just saying most people care about range because most people will never even see the listed 0-60 time first hand.
Sponsored