The US Is Real Close to Screwing Up Electric Vehicle Charging Forever

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
My Tesla Model 3 has a standard CCS connector and so does the superchargers (and all other fast chargers) here so the Tesla home charger is my only point of reference for a smaller plug. Although the CCS supercharger plug is bigger itā€™s not noticeably heavier or something I think about when slamming the supercharger cable into the connector. I donā€™t feel I have to be that exact either, as itā€™s a bigger target and ā€œself-alignsā€ a bit. I quite like the look of it, and it feels safe and ready for higher currents. Itā€™s much more fiddly with my Tesla home charger in a dark garage.

I hope Tesla USA and the USA goes for the same connector as technical differences in cars depending on markets only make them more expensive to manufacture and develop. Would make used import easier too. Although I guess we could live with a difference across the Atlantic (as the grid in general).

Tesla switched connectors after the early S-es and X-es just before the huge invasion of Model 3s in Europe (most superchargers were hastily changed to have both plugs on each supercharger, but newer stalls are mostly just CCS).

I would have liked to say it was seamless to use other fast chargers as well because of common use of CCS, but those others are far from the supercharger experience. But thatā€™s a business and software problem, and not hardware related.

I believe Tesla have said they are willing to open the network to others, but of course they want money for that huge investment and advantage to their competitors. Itā€™s theirs after all. But I do see a future where every station charges all EVs like gasoline stations (cheaper at Tesla Superchargers if youā€™re ā€œa Tesla memberā€ (incl owner) of course).

Last edited:

FPS

First Name
Darmie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastpaceservice.com
Vehicles
Occupation
We rent fast cars & help you get to sustainable transportation.
Country flag
Seriously? That's all the Biden's are giving for chargers? Don't watch much news for it's hard to know what is true. You all do realize, looking at permits and such, Tesla pays well over that for just two supercharging locations. Just two. Oh boy, stand back, the government is going to fix it for us.

mje

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Internet Provider
Country flag
What I'd like to see is a world wide standard - probably CCS2 - the Euro CCS standard. Now that I've sorted out the type of plug in use - I'd like it so anyone can go to any charger. Sure - the rates can differ - I see nothing wrong with that. Even today, Petrol/Gas stations next to each other can charge differing amounts for the same type of fuel.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Seriously? That's all the Biden's are giving for chargers?
That is five hundred thousand EVSEs, not a dollar amount.

And some of that would just be authorizing them. Parks and rest areas need government authority to be allowed to 'sell' power, or sell the places to put EVSEs. Or it could be encouraging places that already have the power to allow others to plug in... like requiring EVSEs to be installed along with other federally funded improvements.

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you'd better send a letter to your Senators, too, Chuck. Because the Senate is what's standing in the way of this authorization. (Tho we've already passed such legislation in California)

-Crissa

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
Historically the government has mostly stepped in to establish standards. If the rumor that Tesla will allow others to use their SCs with an app and adapter then they should be a larger part of the solution rather than basing standards on the just CCS standard and excluding Tesla. Whatever compatibility adapter (low cost plastic thingy) that will work with the vast majority of EVs out there -on the road - should be considered.

I recently got a MY and mostly charge in my garage. I have been to two SC and found the experience superior than what I have seen on youtube with those chargers that take credit cards etc. (for those of you not familiar you just plug in your tesla and you pay for energy used - it bills your credit card on record with Tesla and sends a notification via your smartphone and the tesla app also notifies you that charging is done). So if the govt wants to spend money then work towards the superior user experience. Likewise, as Tesla and other EV companies move towards trucks that can tow things the design of charging stations must be updated to allow pulling through. This also may allow for more chargers using less real estate.

The additional national standard would be to add 60 amp Nema 1450 outlets in garages and apartment carports for new construction permits. Tax credits etc. could be used for adding power to existing homes and apartments.

And finally: regulation for the fees charged for energy, idle fees and trespassing (ICE vehicles in a EV charging space or blocking an EV charging space).

Since charging at a level three SC can take up to 30-60 minutes regulations may also require attending to human needs like shelter, water, and restrooms.

Since SCs don't require attendants it requires the users to be good stewards of the chargers and to show reasonable etiquette

https://insideevs.com/news/337992/top-10-tesla-supercharger-etiquette-unwritten-rules-to-live-by/

I want to believe this is possible but as EVs go mainstream it is more likely that the worst in human behavior will happen at superchargers so build in the technology to force folks to hang up hoses, add security cameras and perhaps other fees or incentives to prevent littering and vandalism.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
BTW, I really like the letter above to the Secretary of Transportation. Perhaps EV owners could have a voice, along with manufacturer's to advise our government. Is it possible for this forum and other internet user groups to find each other, elect representatives, refine and state our needs to help shape the standards to come?

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Š—ŠŠ—-968, Canyonero
Country flag
Betamax vs VHS, BluRay vs HD-DVD, USB vs FireWire, all those have been concluded without government involvement, history will be repeated in this case as well

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Betamax vs VHS, BluRay vs HD-DVD, USB vs FireWire, all those have been concluded without government involvement, history will be repeated in this case as well
But the different types of gasoline did require government intervention.

The difference between all of the above and charging? None of them were thousands of dollars that rook up limited real estate in our public infrastructure.

(And USB didn't do what Firewire did and technically, Thunderbolt won. It can do everything USB can do and more. Hence being adopted as USB4.)

-Crissa
Sponsored