OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Here’s a look at, in my opinion, the stainless steel finish on the CT that we’ve seen.

This piece is 2B finished stainless steel and is what I think the current CT is made of. This very smooth and therefore reflective, but its not ‘shiny’. The surface does show scuffs and scratches. These cannot be removed. You cannot "correct" this finish.

Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. 09059558-589F-43D0-A890-429057641582

Here’s the same piece, one end cleaned with parts wash and the other right off the truck.
Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. 1AA45F17-F565-4419-913F-DC6B695FDF05

The picture below is the 2B finished SS that I used a 3M brown pad to scuff up, like a Delorean would need. This will "remove" scuffs and scratches by, well, putting other scuffs over ones you don't want. If you rub back and forth in a straight line, it will look uniform.
Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. 2673BF41-9898-41F5-BBFB-490D01DC6096

Here’s a piece of 4B brushed stainless steel. It comes from the factory "brushed". It also has a protective film that protect the finish. The film is removed after you make your parts with it.
Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. F32142D6-A211-45B2-966A-3AD97A327FC6

No reason for this post. Just thought some people would be interested in the look of B2 stainless steel.

I think well see a lot of people accidentally mess up the looks of their CT in an attempt to remove a scuff or scratch.

I contacted a company that does the brushed finish on stainless steel sheets. I'd like to develop a process to "brush" a CT, to make it look uniform. This would remove scuffs and scratches, and leave a finish like the 4B stainless.

*Title updated to "Scratch and Sniff" by popular demand.
Sponsored

Last edited:

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Only thing I have to add to this is that the SS in the Cybertruck will be hardened, and should be a little harder to scratch. Not impossible to scratch, but it will also be a little harder to buff out scratches.

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
2B or not 2B, that is the question...

Love the in depth analysis. In those photos, the CT certainly looks like a 2B finish to me. Does the composition of the SS play a role in buffing out scratches, or is it just the finish that matters? I.e is a 304 SS any easier/harder than a 301 or 318?

OP
OP

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Well, we don't really know what flavor of stainless steel the CT will end up being. I'm sure it'll be Space X "seconds", material that for some reason failed xray QC for a space ship but is more that adequate for a truck. Because of the that, it'll be the same material used in the Space X ships. More economy of scale.

I don't know if 304 will resist scuffing and scratches any differently as, say, 316 or the Space X flavor of SS, but I'm sure it'll have very similar characteristics.

And I agree, the CT pictured is most certainly 2B stainless.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I wish Tesla would manufacture the Cybertruck in the #4 finish instead of the 2B. It would give the SS a much better appearance. If you placed two Cybertruck side my side, one in #4 and the other in 2B, I feel the vast majority of buyers would choose the #4 stainless finish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jow

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What I am really scared of is, while parked somewhere, in a mall for instance, finding the car with a lot of scratches. Just because of stupid people trying to scratch "this new material" for fun :confused:
Well, you'll have them on camera.

-Crissa

FLAWLESS_G

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Water Plant Supervisor
Country flag
I wish Tesla would manufacture the Cybertruck in the #4 finish instead of the 2B. It would give the SS a much better appearance. If you placed two Cybertruck side my side, one in #4 and the other in 2B, I feel the vast majority of buyers would choose the #4 stainless finish.
It would be nice if the buyers could choose their own finish per order. It would still be SS, but give it a little personalization. How hard could that need in manufacturing????

Reactions: Jow

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It would be nice if the buyers could choose their own finish per order. It would still be SS, but give it a little personalization. How hard could that need in manufacturing????
It would require someone to buff all the welds and exposed surfaces, which would be pretty labor-intensive.

It sounds like they're going to use some of that drill-putty-welding craziness, too. https://matmatch.com/blog/friction-stir-welding-spacex/

And some of the finishes are best started with the raw plates.

-Crissa

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Ah yes, friction stir welding. Pretty cool welding technology. I think it's used on the aluminum section of the Octovalve.

Last edited:

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Very good considerations to point out. We may be finding that it's more preferable to Wrap the Cybertruck body than previously realized (even if just clear PPF). Otherwise thoughts of continual fingerprints on appliances like stainless steel refrigerators or stainless steel sinks come to mind, as well as these scratch situations you point out.
Sponsored