Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I was not aware of this website until I stumbled upon it while searching for more info & opinions on the Cyberlandr camper concept. While I am not generally a “truck guy”, I have owned a few trucks (3) in the distant past. In late 2014 I decided it was time I finally became more environmentally responsible and started researching Tesla vehicles. This led me to purchase a Model S 85D in 2015. And trade that for a Model S 100D w/FSD in 2018 thinking that I would like to experience autonomous driving while I was still able to drive a car.

The revel of the Cybertruck was interesting, but while I did not hate the design I was not immediately interested in reserving one. Over the following months as various reviews and other articles appeared, I began to consider the utility of having a CT. My need for a truck has only been occasional and really the Model S more than satisfies my need for cargo space 99% of the time. The fact that I currently live on a farm, although not a farmer, has probably had some influence on my decision to reserve a CT. In any event, I did finally plop down $100 on a CT reservation thinking that as the deposit is refundable, I did not have to make a yes/no decision until well after the CT enters production.

Then the revel of the Cyberlandr camper caught my attention and made me re-evaluate if I really want/need the CT. And while gathering more info on the Cyberlandr concept, I found this website. Joining this community and reading/commenting on the various discussions has made me really want a CT, probably with a Cyberlandr, more than ever. Thus you all are potentially a very bad influence on my financial health. ;)
Sponsored

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
Then the revel of the Cyberlandr camper caught my attention and made me re-evaluate if I really want/need the CT. And while gathering more info on the Cyberlandr concept, I found this website. Joining this community and reading/commenting on the various discussions has made me really want a CT, probably with a Cyberlandr, more than ever. Thus you all are potentially a very bad influence on my financial health. ;)
Be careful you're following a very passionate bunch now. I started with the dual motor no FSD, now I'm at Dual Motor with FSD and seriously considering Trimotor + FSD if I can swing it when it comes time.
Lots of good info here and there sure is a lot of it now.
Congrats.

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
I agree with David here. Be careful. I'm very passionate towards ICE vehicles, and getting an EV was trying the waters for me. I would back-out of my reservation if the price is not where I like it (cannot negotiate the price with Tesla, unfortunately).

If you cannot afford the CT then get a F150 EV whenever that comes out to market, since you have described that the Model S has been meeting your needs so far.

OP
OP

akcoyote

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Be careful you're following a very passionate bunch now. I started with the dual motor no FSD, now I'm at Dual Motor with FSD and seriously considering Trimotor + FSD if I can swing it when it comes time.
Lots of good info here and there sure is a lot of it now.
Congrats.
In my opinion, the tri-motor CT would be great for towing larger trailers, but that is not my use case. For me the dual motor version should be adequate as my main thing is to be able to get around in the winter when the roads can be slick. FSD option is preferable as stated previously, but I think the cost is higher than it should be. While the upcoming FSD subscription option sounds cheaper, it will prove extremely expensive in the long run.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
As long as you're going EV, I saw awesome!

An EV never cares where its electricity comes from. And that agnosticism is pretty keen, honestly.

-Crissa
Additionally, you don't have to decide between Regular, Plus, and Super. And never have to worry about accidentally using Diesel on your non-diesel vehicle.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Additionally, you don't have to decide between Regular, Plus, and Super. And never have to worry about accidentally using Diesel on your non-diesel vehicle.
They make the diesel nozzles larger to make sure that does not happen however I knew someone that spent twenty minutes trying to fill up the tank even though she could not get the nozzle in making a mess in the process. She called the brother to see what is wrong with the gas station and the poor dude had to drop everything and come down to make sure she does not turn on the car so they can get the stuff out with minimal damage. as the old saying goes, no matter how fool proof you make it, they always make a better fool. I know noone would have a problem with a CT at a supercharger. Then again stranger things has happened:

p.s. If this sounds sexist to anyone here, I have to note many of the women I know inculding my wife are smarter than me. I just thought, many of you that are already on your third EV may not realize that transition is not as easy for everyone. CT would be my first.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
To be honest, isn't it worse when you put gas in a diesel than a diesel in a gas? One just need to be cleaned, the other one dies?

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
They make the diesel nozzles larger to make sure that does not happen however I knew someone that spent twenty minutes trying to fill up the tank even though she could not get the nozzle in making a mess in the process. She called the brother to see what is wrong with the gas station and the poor dude had to drop everything and come down to make sure she does not turn on the car so they can get the stuff out with minimal damage. as the old saying goes, no matter how fool proof you make it, they always make a better fool.
To be honest, I made the mistake of trying to put diesel in my gas car once back in 1990. I was in college, had visited my girlfriend's college all night (no sleep) and had been up all night the night before. I really shouldn't have even been driving looking back at it. But as it happened, I was out of gas. I drove into a gas station, got out, opened the gas cap, pulled the fuel pump handle out and tried to put it into my gas tank opening. But it wouldn't fit. I was so exhausted that the whole thing just confused me. I tried holding the handle so the fuel would go in the little hole and pulled the trigger but it just splashed about. So I put the pump handle back in the pump. At which point a voice comes over the intercom asking me if I'm serious about only needing 5 cents of fuel. In my tired state, I tried to explain that the pump handle would not fit. The voice then tells me to take the handle on the other side. Suddenly everything worked. Turns out that the guy at the gas station had actually been awake longer than I had. We were both in poor condition. But I did manage to get the right fuel, get it paid for, and make it back to my college without causing an accident.

That is the only time I have made THAT mistake. But to this day, whenever I pull up to a pump that also has diesel, I think of that experience and remember that the diesel pump won't fit in my gas tank opening. And I mentally remember to make sure I get the non-diesel pump handle. 30 years later I'm still thinking about this with nearly every fill-up.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
To be honest, isn't it worse when you put gas in a diesel than a diesel in a gas? One just need to be cleaned, the other one dies?

-Crissa
Both are bad enough to make the case for owning an EV. I have changed my own oil most of my life and I can not wait for my first EV. I am not sure what is the deal with battery coolant replacement on Tesla but it looks like it is not as often and I may not even have the option to do it myself. If the battery does not blow up, it looks like overall it is a lot less messy experience.

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag

-Crissa
Some dude in the Nissan forums said his daughter filled up her 1st gen Rogue with diesel and the engine blew (I believe that was the result?) or something similar, because the car died after all the gasoline was used up.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag

-Crissa
funny thing about this. Either will run in a fuel injection system. The combustion will just be inefficient either way and the power will suuuuuuuuck. As for Diesel in a gas engine, there is an "old timer's" trick that uses a gallon of diesel in a full tank of gas as a "top end" lubrication. It will break up carbon deposits and lubricate the valves (questionable) and burn off without much notice, just like most additives except a bit less expensive. The concern surrounds the fuel filtration systems when you mix fuels.

SEER

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, ZR-2, K3500 dually, Cybertruck
Country flag
Better that than someone trying to put an electric current into the gasoline tank! :ROFLMAO:?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag

-Crissa
This happened in the South of France. Just off the TGV rented a car and pulled in to fill’er up. Grabbed the Green colored nozzel filled it up. Only to realize that FR identifies Diesel==GRN & Gas=BLK. Opposite of the USA convention. $200USD later and pumped tank!
Sponsored