Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It just occurred to me that since the glass is so tough, wouldn’t it be wonderful to have an option where the tonneau is made of the stuff? Then we could have a full length skylight in the back! @elon have you thought of that?
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I would prefer a very very strong cover, not that i need it but I like the idea behind the vaults name basically implying that it's so strong.

Also if you look at the Cybertruck page where it has the camping option that they said would come with the truck, you can see through the side of the tent and out the top. So if you are camping, you'll have a nice view of the stars, even if it's not as clear as an all glass roof. Another reason why I wouldn't really want an all glass cover is when i'm using my Cybertruck as a hotel. A common sleeping spot for this use is Walmart parking lots, since they almost always allow for people to park overnight to sleep in the parking lot, even with trailers. But if i was sleeping at a walmart, I would really rather not have people who want to see a Cybertruck up close, also see me up close.

But who knows, they could release an option for the cover to be replaced with armor glass. If they did I would suspect that each peice would still have a frame around it since glass is weakest at the edge. Armor glass or not, hit glass at the edge and it will probably crack.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The angle of the slats (and their articulation) would be such that it would be difficult to see anything inside except from above the Cybertruck. Add a coating of solar cells and it would be practically impossible to see inside, it would be looking through venetian blinds.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I would prefer a very very strong cover, not that i need it but I like the idea behind the vaults name basically implying that it's so strong.

Also if you look at the Cybertruck page where it has the camping option that they said would come with the truck, you can see through the side of the tent and out the top. So if you are camping, you'll have a nice view of the stars, even if it's not as clear as an all glass roof. Another reason why I wouldn't really want an all glass cover is when i'm using my Cybertruck as a hotel. A common sleeping spot for this use is Walmart parking lots, since they almost always allow for people to park overnight to sleep in the parking lot, even with trailers. But if i was sleeping at a walmart, I would really rather not have people who want to see a Cybertruck up close, also see me up close.

But who knows, they could release an option for the cover to be replaced with armor glass. If they did I would suspect that each peice would still have a frame around it since glass is weakest at the edge. Armor glass or not, hit glass at the edge and it will probably crack.
Armor glass is what I was talking about.

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Armor glass is what I was talking about.
Anyway, I wasn’t thinking of them replacing the stainless tonneau, just offering an option, like the solar tonneau.

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
How about a slightly cheaper version of the cybertruck without the tonneau cover. Then folks putting on a camper or 3rd party solar or even transparent bed covers could do whatever they wanted.

I myself don't completely trust the long term waterproofing of a roll top cover with so many moving parts. I hope that's just my ignorance of tonneau covers speaking, though.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
How about a slightly cheaper version of the cybertruck without the tonneau cover. Then folks putting on a camper or 3rd party solar or even transparent bed covers could do whatever they wanted.

I myself don't completely trust the long term waterproofing of a roll top cover with so many moving parts. I hope that's just my ignorance of tonneau covers speaking, though.
Now, it's reasonable. It will probably be reasonably secure against rain but not wind-blown. And a stripped down skateboard+exoskeleton would be a great version to sell to modders.

That is how the F-150 gets so many sales.

-Crissa

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I want something like this that the triangular side panels could fold down inside the vault and the rack could ride in the angled position. It makes it like a camper shell when up and the rack is more accessible when down. I would want to have a floor under the rack so it could serve as a enclosed space when up.

Tesla Cybertruck Tonneau cover of transparent aluminum Roof_Bed_Cargo_Rack_Tesla_Cybertruck_OffRoad_011

Tesla Cybertruck Tonneau cover of transparent aluminum Roof_Bed_Cargo_Rack_Tesla_Cybertruck_OffRoad_006

Tesla Cybertruck Tonneau cover of transparent aluminum tesla-cybertruck-render-dually-and-bed-rack

Tesla Cybertruck Tonneau cover of transparent aluminum I70MCqh

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Who made that render of the dually Cybertruck?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Who made that render of the dually Cybertruck?
I am not the original poster but found this

Full Length Roof-Bed Cargo Rack Concept
Thread starter Administrator Start date Jun 15, 2020
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...-roof-bed-cargo-rack-concept.1172/#post-15713

Tesla Cybertruck Enthusiasts Facebook page
Landon Hillyard
March 11, 2021
I own a fabrication shop and intend to build a sweet rack for a roof top tent once I get mine. Here is a pic of what I'm thinking.

Last edited:

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag

May not mean much to you but I've been using roll-top style aluminum slat tonneau covers for years and years and I've never had leaks. Though, they have always been covered with some kind of black leather-like stuff. Well, let me take that back. Occasionally, I would have a leak between the tunnel cover and the tailgate but just very minor leaks like a few drops of water here and there. I suspect that Tesla won't have that problem.
Sponsored