Hoppi

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
I've been watching some YT videos to see what different people's off-roading experience is like. Some that I'm liking are from The Story Till Now. Conveniently those guys are up in British Columbia so they have somewhat similar terrain as what I'd expect to get around here in Washington State.

Watching the videos though I'm noticing that there are a number of regular use tools that I'll probably want to get with my CT in order to make these trips. The powered tools I'd like to be either battery-electric or plugin with extension cords if necessary. But some of the things I'm seeing as necessary are:

• Chain Saw - I was thinking battery-electric but I also just found out there are pneumatic chain saws too. Who knew?
  • Traction Boards/Mats
  • Pressure Washer - I don't see anyone using this in the videos but it would be nice for cleaning tires before re-inflating or to clean stuff before putting back in the CT
  • Some Jacking solution
  • Winch - Front and Back would be nice
  • Tire inflator - Perhaps just need an extension from the internal compressor to reach all the tires? But also a reliable pressure meter
  • Tow Cables/Rope/etc - Need snatch blocks, shackles, and maybe some other items
  • Shovel, Axe, Pick Axe, Wedges - Some of the roads get real messed up and with landslides, bridges out, etc there is some work to get around the obstacles
  • LED Work Lights - For all the work in the dark
  • Flat Tire Kits and Spare Tires - Will need spare tires mostly I think but flat tire kits might work better in certain circumstances. Also need tire changing tools.
  • Extra Solar Cells - Not necessarily required but may be extra helpful in emergency situations. Don't need a battery jumping solution to get a CT started. :)
  • Off-Road Navigation System - Not sure how the CT navigation will work for off-road trails but if necessary get an accessory trail navigation system.
  • 2 Way Radios - Basically for emergency situations, I'd think. But if there is a community of radio users it might be nice to talk once in a while.
  • Hand Tools in a Kit - Multi-tools, and other general hand tools. Might just want to keep a toolbox in the truck.
Anybody have any other favorite tools that they like when off-roading? Any recommendations?
Sponsored

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I've been watching some YT videos to see what different people's off-roading experience is like. Some that I'm liking are from The Story Till Now. Conveniently those guys are up in British Columbia so they have somewhat similar terrain as what I'd expect to get around here in Washington State.

Watching the videos though I'm noticing that there are a number of regular use tools that I'll probably want to get with my CT in order to make these trips. The powered tools I'd like to be either battery-electric or plugin with extension cords if necessary. But some of the things I'm seeing as necessary are:

• Chain Saw - I was thinking battery-electric but I also just found out there are pneumatic chain saws too. Who knew?
  • Traction Boards/Mats
  • Pressure Washer - I don't see anyone using this in the videos but it would be nice for cleaning tires before re-inflating or to clean stuff before putting back in the CT
  • Some Jacking solution
  • Winch - Front and Back would be nice
  • Tire inflator - Perhaps just need an extension from the internal compressor to reach all the tires? But also a reliable pressure meter
  • Tow Cables/Rope/etc - Need snatch blocks, shackles, and maybe some other items
  • Shovel, Axe, Pick Axe, Wedges - Some of the roads get real messed up and with landslides, bridges out, etc there is some work to get around the obstacles
  • LED Work Lights - For all the work in the dark
  • Flat Tire Kits and Spare Tires - Will need spare tires mostly I think but flat tire kits might work better in certain circumstances. Also need tire changing tools.
  • Extra Solar Cells - Not necessarily required but may be extra helpful in emergency situations. Don't need a battery jumping solution to get a CT started. :)
  • Off-Road Navigation System - Not sure how the CT navigation will work for off-road trails but if necessary get an accessory trail navigation system.
  • 2 Way Radios - Basically for emergency situations, I'd think. But if there is a community of radio users it might be nice to talk once in a while.
  • Hand Tools in a Kit - Multi-tools, and other general hand tools. Might just want to keep a toolbox in the truck.
Anybody have any other favorite tools that they like when off-roading? Any recommendations?
LED Trouble light and emergency triangles

First aid kit

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You know, a pressure washer is not a bad idea. I had to limp back to town and find a car wash once after I went into an agate mine and the mud got into my wheels. Loose agates were glued in my wheels!

I do carry a chain saw; Dewalt makes a good one. And work lights - the ones I have have magnets to stick to my car, but I'll have to find a solution for the stainless steel.

I always carry utility shovels and in a truck, planks. I'll need something light and strong enough not to be crushed by the truck. Open-vane aluminum, maybe?

And I always have solar. I also bring a tarp that can cover the vehicle - very handy in dust storms and mountain wind storms to keep stuff out of ports and vents. I had tree duff sucked into the engine once, hadta have it opened up. And in my mom's Honda we had some go through the vents into the cabin and into our eyes. You can use it to prevent sinking in playa or mud, too.

There's always the 'bring extra water' and since I usually end up where it's sunny, I bring reflective insulated window covers. Saves energy and lets you get some shut-eye.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I watch a lot of overlanding and adventure (riding/driving) videos on youtube... and I even have gotten into watching those who live aboard ocean sailing vessels. A sail vessel has to be pretty efficient and reliable. Add to that corrosion resistant and you find a lot out about small, compact but useful items from modern sailors.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
We are required to carry a shovel and a bucket when using the old logging roads.....Nice list I would add first aid, rope, matches and a flashlight plus water. GPS or map really important, we have more dirt roads then paved.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
I'd say 'and'. GPS is great, but the maps with them are often really inaccurate when you get off the beaten path. Always get local intel ^-^

-Crissa
I didn't think about a GPS map but a paper map from USDA a topographic map where it shows more details of the land.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Don't need a battery jumping solution to get a CT started.
It's the same in your CT as in an ICE car. If the 12V battery goes dead you can't start the car.
2 Way Radios - Basically for emergency situations, I'd think.
Always useful. I carry a pair in the car as a matter of course
Off-Road Navigation System - Not sure how the CT navigation will work for off-road trails but if necessary get an accessory trail navigation system.
You've got a good GPS receiver built into the truck and another in your cell phone. The problem with either is that if you are out of cell phone range the background maps can't be updated but the big problem is dense canopy. If you are running dogs the Garmin tracker GPS may be handy as it shows you where you are relative to each equipped dog and camp (provided that the canopy isn't too dense).

On or off road you should be carrying the UMC, extension cords and adapters to allow you to charge wherever you are going which, as it is offroad, suggests that you may be a long way from a SC or even a destination charger. Camp grounds, gas station welder outlets, CHAdeMO etc.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
CB and maybe Ham radio? Obviously not for everyone...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, the roof rack mounting points will work, and you could always do adhesive wire trace antenna against the dome window. And that's not counting having something mounted in the vault.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The determining factor is line of sight father than EIRP in these cases. Expect 1 - 5 miles depending on terrain. For real range a repeater is needed. With a properly sited one you could get over 100 miles.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, first off, racks that are screwed into the body of the vehicle are fine for grounding.

Secondly, you can just screw the antenna directly into the mounting point, you don't have to hang it off a roof rack that adds more drag than your antenna.

-Crissa
Sponsored