Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'm suprised there is a 4-way connector in addition to the 7-way connector. Seems to violate "best part is no part" design.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
I'm suprised there is a 4-way connector in addition to the 7-way connector. Seems to violate "best part is no part" design.
I like it because it gives you options. My boat trailer has a 7 way connector but if I need to tow another trailer sometime in the future it’s nice to not need an adapter.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I'm glad both sockets are underneath out of the rain. I've seen issues where trailer connectors sometimes corrode, causing lights to be intermittently out. I guess they make some contact protection spray for that though.

Question: Since these are standard connectors for today's trailers, the pins would have to be providing a 12 volt electrical source for trailer lights/brakes correct? Has anyone checked them with a volt meter?

If 48 volts catches on and they make a trailer with 48 volt lights/brakes, Tesla might even design a new 48 volt trailer connector standard, smaller, easier to connect, with more reliable contact pins and sockets.

So who knows, maybe future Cybertrucks might even have three trailer connectors instead of two? I think we'd want them to be physically different form factors though, to remain idiot proof and backward compatible.

- ÆCIII

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Removing the tow hitch cover is easy -- just remove these 3 clips.

cybertruck tow hitch cover clips.jpeg
Slick, very clean looking!

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

Sousray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 M3
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
looks like we have a 12V source to connect to for some more common accessories. (lights, etc)

COLAB

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Website
colabsystems.com
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Product manager IT services
Country flag
Removing the tow hitch cover is easy -- just remove these 3 clips.

cybertruck tow hitch cover clips.jpeg

Posted by @VoyageATXBen
Sir,
Just to be sure, this part of hitch and connections are there for each versions of CT please or it's optional ?
;) 🤙

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
Nice to see. The trailer plug receptacles seem well designed.

Not sure if the CT will ever see a 5th wheel, but when I had mine installed in the bed of an F-250 I added an additional trailer plug receptacle inside the bed so the trailer wiring was not dangling over the tailgate down to the bumper.

Similar to this photo, it could go in the area where the 120v/240v receptacles are now located on the CT.

Tesla Cybertruck Tow Hitch Cover removal is easy (DIY). 4-way and 7-way connectors underneath 1704734802786

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I'm glad both sockets are underneath out of the rain. I've seen issues where trailer connectors sometimes corrode, causing lights to be intermittently out. I guess they make some contact protection spray for that though.

Question: Since these are standard connectors for today's trailers, the pins would have to be providing a 12 volt electrical source for trailer lights/brakes correct? Has anyone checked them with a volt meter?

If 48 volts catches on and they make a trailer with 48 volt lights/brakes, Tesla might even design a new 48 volt trailer connector standard, smaller, easier to connect, with more reliable contact pins and sockets.

So who knows, maybe future Cybertrucks might even have three trailer connectors instead of two? I think we'd want them to be physically different form factors though, to remain idiot proof and backward compatible.

- ÆCIII
I dare say that won't happen until the second Cybertruck refresh.
48V allows more power to be pulled from the main battery. Most of the time you want that limited, you don't want the trailer to kill your tow vehicle's battery.
Sponsored