Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Currently Jeep Wrangler unlimited. next, Cybertruck 3 motor
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Just wondering if there is any info on how towing will impact range. I frequently tow a boat and with associated gear is about 1500lbs. The trimotor TC has a declared range of 500+ miles. I am assuming they are talking about a lot of city driving where braking will help charge the batteries. But on the open road towing a boat I am wondering what the range will be. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Kirko

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota 4Runner Cybertruck Reservation holder
Occupation
Reliability maintenance
Country flag
Just wondering if there is any info on how towing will impact range. I frequently tow a boat and with associated gear is about 1500lbs. The trimotor TC has a declared range of 500+ miles. I am assuming they are talking about a lot of city driving where braking will help charge the batteries. But on the open road towing a boat I am wondering what the range will be. Any thoughts?
I know that towing anything can reduce your range no matter if it's ICE or electric. I frequently tow a jet ski with full fuel (around 1,100 lbs) with a Toyota 4runner (CT3 on order) and I do see a reduction in range with that. It isn't terribly significant but enough to notice..

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A couple personal observations.

With 2-3 bikes on a hitch mounted bike rack, my Model Y’s range drops by about 30%.

Talking to a guy towing a small (~12 foot) empty UHaul behind a Model X, he said his range dropped 20%.

EVs as a rule are much more sensitive to changes in weight and drag then ICE cars. Big things which cause a lot of drag in particular. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 50% hit to range Pulling a bigger boat.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I would agree with the others, a 50% reduction is a good starting point as a guesstimate, until there is a production version with real world tow testing. Also, with the wide variation in trailer types, sizes, weights, aerodynamics, etc... There will never be a specific range hit, it will always be "YMMV", quite literally!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think boats are somewhat aero by nature so maybe consider getting a boat cover which you can put on it while you are going down the highway. Covering the top might well gain you some significant milage.

Tesla Cybertruck Towing and range issues IMG_1173

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Aerodynamics is going to be the big thing, not weight. Weight in motion stays in motion and regen recaptures it more efficiently with more mass to slow down.

The Cybertruck may see more range loss per less aerodynamic trailers because it doesn't have as more frontal area to create a big shadow for the trailer to fit into.

But it will still be more efficient than the big brick Lightning or Rivian, which is what will matter when charging back up. More miles per minute.

-Crissa

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
If you determine the current hit in your ICE MPG, you can finger in the wind your EV range hit with your driving characteristics.

For those who madly typing the transitive property does not apply, eat an apple. This is a jumping off point.

Halemarine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.halemarine.com
Vehicles
Model Y, Ford F150, Chevrolet Equinox
Country flag
My experience with our Model Y pulling a small utility trailer loaded with a Ride on mower.
Range is cut by 50% on side roads and up to 60% the highway ( 70 MPH).
Hope this helpful.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Maybe I am the only one who remembers this, but here it goes. The reason for the 500 mile range, according to Mr. Musk, is so the minimum range available to the driver under full load is 250 miles. He has stated on many occasions that Tesla will not make a car that won't have at least 250 miles of range. Tesla engineers and designers have a mandate to make vehicles that meet or exceed their I.C.E. counterparts. While none of us know what the range will actually be in every configuration, Tesla is not in the habit of making the bare minimum. The last example to support my understanding is the Tesla Semi tractor. The stated range is based on a FULL load of 80,000 pounds of payload, NOT empty. Given this, I would be exceptionally surprised if the range Tesla asserts for the Cybertruck is comparable to the passenger models instead of the commercial vehicle.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Maybe I am the only one who remembers this, but here it goes. The reason for the 500 mile range, according to Mr. Musk, is so the minimum range available to the driver under full load is 250 miles. He has stated on many occasions that Tesla will not make a car that won't have at least 250 miles of range. Tesla engineers and designers have a mandate to make vehicles that meet or exceed their I.C.E. counterparts. While none of us know what the range will actually be in every configuration, Tesla is not in the habit of making the bare minimum. The last example to support my understanding is the Tesla Semi tractor. The stated range is based on a FULL load of 80,000 pounds of payload, NOT empty. Given this, I would be exceptionally surprised if the range Tesla asserts for the Cybertruck is comparable to the passenger models instead of the commercial vehicle.
It’s possible. But 250 miles with what sort of 13,000 pound load? Pulling the pictured aero trailer?

250 miles is a solid base assumption. Particularly a boat which is light at potentially kind-of slippery In the air.
Sponsored