First Name
Taylor
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
I am considering purchasing a camper trailer and wanted to ask people how they thought the Cybertruck would compare to a gas and diesel. I am getting dual motor. The added weight must help. 50% range impact?
Advertisement

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
We can't know, but EVs don't have as much energy to waste as internal combustion vehicles.

EVs are already pretty heavy because of the battery pack. So that's never a problem.

The Trimotor is probably the best option for towing because if its double range. The Dual will be okay but won't be able to get too far from power.

-Crissa

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
It'll be safe to assume a 50-75% range reduction if you're towing.

Weight and aero drag will dictate the range hit (more aero than weight, believe it or not).

Here's a real life example.

I have a small 8x4' single axle dumping trailer that weights 600 pounds empty. If I put my two dirtbikes in the trailer and tow it with my diesel BMW wagon, my fuel economy takes a serious hit, 44mpg to 34.

If I pull that same trailer with my Dodge Ram 3500 diesel, the fuel economy goes from 18 to 16 (if that). Pulling our 1970 Airstream (5000 pounds but fairly aero by camper standards) the truck gets 14-15 mpg. Pulling the Featherlite car trailer (boxy and 8000 pounds loaded) it gets 14.

The BMW is VERY sensitive to any additional aero drag (CoF is .027). The Dodge is a brick on wheels and it is not as sensitive to aero drag.

The CT will also be VERY sensitive to additional aero drag because Tesla is working hard to make it as aerodynamically efficient as possible.

I imagine the CT will take an aero hit with the vault cover open vs closed. My 3500 certainly does.

Rthardison

First Name
Rusty
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model 3, Model S
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I am considering purchasing a camper trailer and wanted to ask people how they thought the Cybertruck would compare to a gas and diesel. I am getting dual motor. The added weight must help. 50% range impact?
I would expect 150 mile range +\- depending on weight and aero. That means realistically ~100 miles. You won’t want to go to zero pulling a camper. Pretty limiting except for local trips.

I have a camper and decided to bump up to the tri-motor from a dual motor. I hope to get 250 miles out of it (200 with safety margin). When I placed my reservation for the dual motor, I only had a ski boat and 100 miles was fine. I hope to take the camper on longer trips.

It will be awesome to charge in the campground.

BTW, my F150 normally gets 15 mpg and drops to 8 mpg pulling my camper.

Luke42

Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra Hybrid (2-Mode)
Country flag
I see a 50% range reduction from a travel trailer on my ICE truck.

The energy requirements for the Combination Vehicle shouldn't be dramatically different at-the-wheels, regardless of the power source.

My ICE truck has a range of 450 miles (400 mile planning range), which drops to about 250 miles (200 planning miles) with the travel trailer. I've noticed a lot of RVers have pony tanks in their beds to extend the range of their ICE trucks. Towing sucks gas.

As theory would predict, low speeds, high elevations, and flat roads greatly improve MPGs in my rig.

I expect the planning range for a 500+ mile EV pickup pulling my same travel trailer to be pretty similar to the 200-mile planning-range of my 450-mile ICE truck.

The point is that an EV doesn't have any inherent disadvantage when towing, at least in principle. Towing just takes a lot of energy, and most people who tow with ICE vehicles just pay the fuel bill and get on with life. The kind of efficiency-minded people who are attracted to EVs care a lot more about range and efficiency.

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I would expect 150 mile range +\- depending on weight and aero. That means realistically ~100 miles. You won’t want to go to zero pulling a camper. Pretty limiting except for local trips.

I have a camper and decided to bump up to the tri-motor from a dual motor. I hope to get 250 miles out of it (200 with safety margin). When I placed my reservation for the dual motor, I only had a ski boat and 100 miles was fine. I hope to take the camper on longer trips.

It will be awesome to charge in the campground.

BTW, my F150 normally gets 15 mpg and drops to 8 mpg pulling my camper.
Energy density makes comparision by analogy a little bit trcky. Energy density is energy per unit volume.
1620950370849.png

aeronaturel

First Name
Louis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leaf
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
I really hope that the Tesla development team realizes that 150mi range is not enough when you're planning to pull a travel trailer over long distances, and that they develop a solution that allows adding a secondary battery.

This secondary battery could be a CT custom battery pack that, I guess, would fit in the CT bed (due to size), and that you can rent when you need it. It does not really need to be developed by Tesla, but they would need to provide an interface for it, from the truck bed.

Luke42

Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Energy density makes comparision by analogy a little bit trcky. Energy density is energy per unit volume.
1620950370849.png
Yes, but a lot of energy is wasted onboard an ICE vehicle, due to the Carnot Cycle losses:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnot_cycle

The majority of the heat-energy in gasoline or diesel gets dumped out of the radiator as waste heat, and does not actually move the wheels of an ICE vehicle.

That's why I keep using the phrase "at the wheels" in my posts on this topic.

When EVs are powered by fossil fuel electric plants, the same thing happens (though somewhat more efficiently), but it happens outside the car.

This makes it really hard to compare MPG to Wh/mile directly, because you have to know how much "rejected energy" (waste heat) the ICE vehicle dumps uselessly in the air.

The lower energy density of lithium batteries goes a lot farther (pun intended), because most of the energy goes toward moving the vehicle.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That chart is... Weird at best, since it seems to be saying kWh and that's... Not how that works at all. How you extract the energy matters, so really you end up with a range, and the theoretical maximum for gasoline is ~33.5 kWh, not 8.75.

-Crissa

Luke42

Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I really hope that the Tesla development team realizes that 150mi range is not enough when you're planning to pull a travel trailer over long distances, and that they develop a solution that allows adding a secondary battery.

This secondary battery could be a CT custom battery pack that, I guess, would fit in the CT bed (due to size), and that you can rent when you need it. It does not really need to be developed by Tesla, but they would need to provide an interface for it, from the truck bed.
The ICE folks have the same problem, and some of them have chosen an analogous solution.

I've seen a number of pickup trucks with extra fuel tanks in the bed at campsites.

My impression from looking at the rig and their owners is that they're trying to save money by carrying cheap gas with them -- instead of buying the sometimes-expensive gas available en-route But I suppose it's possible that the owner of these vehicle's job is made easier by being able to haul fuel (landscaper?), but I wouldn't know because I didn't ask them about it. In any case, installing an extended range tank in ICE pickups is more common than I thought.

Ranulf

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
I used to have a 1978 Olds 98 regency diesel that the previous owner had put in an auxiliary 50 gallon tank in its trunk. It could go from Wisconsin to Florida (and back, I think) without refueling.

Advertisement

Advertisement