Toyota revealed an electric truck to compete with the F-150 Lightning and Rivian R1T

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Toyota revealed an electric truck to compete with the F-150 Lightning and Rivian R1T 61b8b10d8fe45b0018b051b0?width=700

Feast your eyes. Toyota
  • Toyota revealed more than a dozen new electric vehicles it plans to build, including a pickup truck.
  • This is the first time we're seeing what Toyota's upcoming e-truck may look like.
  • It's part of Toyota's $70 billion investment into green vehicles and technology.
We've known for months that Toyota is planning to unleash an electric pickup truck sometime soon. On Tuesday, the company revealed how it'll look.

During an event laying out its new global push into electric vehicles, Toyota took the wraps off of more than a dozen future SUVs, sedans, and sports cars. Tucked way in the back corner was one of the most exciting prospects of them all: the yet-to-be-named truck.

Here it is:

Tesla Cybertruck Toyota revealed an electric truck to compete with the F-150 Lightning and Rivian R1T d8fe45b0018b05262?width=1300&format=jpeg&auto=web

Toyota Pickup EV concept. Noriaki Mitsuhashi/N-RAK Photo Agency

Toyota hasn't released any details about the pickup, like when it'll arrive, how much it'll cost, or how big it'll be. It would make sense to launch an electric version of the Tundra to compete with upcoming battery-powered full-size trucks like the Ford F-150 Lightning and Chevrolet Silverado EV. But this pickup looks more Tacoma-sized.

That could be a smart move, too, since the gas-powered Tacoma crushes all other midsize pickups in the US, while the Tundra isn't nearly as popular as its rivals out of Detroit. Right now, the only electric pickup you can buy is the midsize R1T, the inaugural truck from California startup Rivian.

Tesla Cybertruck Toyota revealed an electric truck to compete with the F-150 Lightning and Rivian R1T 28fe45b0018b05279?width=1300&format=jpeg&auto=web

Toyota electric vehicle concepts. Noriaki Mitsuhashi/N-RAK Photo Agency

Toyota launched the pioneering Prius hybrid more than 20 years ago, but has been a bit slow to embrace fully-electric vehicles, arguing that hybrids are the best way of reducing global emissions. It came out swinging on Tuesday, though, unveiling 15 electric models and plans to roll out 30 by 2030. Toyota said it would plunge $70 billion into electrification efforts and make Lexus an electric-only brand.

The company revealed lots of similar-looking electric SUVs of various sizes, but also a few more interesting models. It previewed an electric off-road SUV tentatively named the Compact Cruiser EV. It looks like the spiritual successor to Toyota's FJ Cruiser.

Tesla Cybertruck Toyota revealed an electric truck to compete with the F-150 Lightning and Rivian R1T 93f3bc50019193e5e?width=1300&format=jpeg&auto=web

Toyota Compact Cruiser EV SUV concept. Noriaki Mitsuhashi/N-RAK Photo Agency
And it showed off sleek, low-slung sports cars from both the Lexus and Toyota brands. Details are scant for now, but we'll surely learn more about all these models as they near production.

https://www.businessinsider.com/toyota-electric-pickup-truck-f50-lightning-tacoma-rivian-2021-12
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Renders are like the ultimate budget version of a concept car. Great for PR, completely disconnected with any real functioning car.

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
So an electric Tacoma…

also, that truck bed is comically short.

Deleted member 12457

So an electric Tacoma…

also, that truck bed is comically short.
I tried finding the right angle to match the Toyota truck EV but it was too cold and windy to spend a lot of time on it. That said, my 2013 Tacoma double cab, TRD off-road model looks fairly close to the EV size. I have a 5-ft bed which almost disappears at this angle. Is the bed long enough? It depends on what you use it for and how upset people get in parking lots if it's much longer. Without any documentation on its actual size, if it's similar to the Tacoma size (older models not the new ones that are practically the size of Tundras from a couple years ago) I might be tempted. Of course the grill turned me off in a split second. I don't know why oversize grills are the new design feature on almost all cars. My Tacoma has a fairly small grill, just large enough for its use. All the grills, or even fronts of these cars, look terrible. Talk about a big flat front dam slowing the vehicle down. If it uses the previously announced bZ4X sled, I'm not that sure it would be strong enough to carry a typical truck load. The body also appears to be cut in half, like most truck bodies. This allows the front and back to twist making it difficult to have a roof rack that attaches to both parts. I'd rather have a more rigid body than a twisty one.

I'm not sure what's going on with Toyota announcing these EVs but I bet it has to do with fighting off stock holders and government regulations, including carbon credits.

Found more photos on their website but they are very low resolution. I found one with an almost side view of the EV truck. Looks about like the Tacoma with a 5 to 5.5-ft bed, maybe double cab. Probably used almost all the same body panels from the current Tacoma so they wouldn't have to change stamping presses. It needs a different frame for ground clearance and load weight. The bZ4X specs don't show a weight rating high enough even for the Tacoma. Definitely doesn't have ground clearance.

Tesla Cybertruck Toyota revealed an electric truck to compete with the F-150 Lightning and Rivian R1T 20211214_BEV_04_W480_H320

Last edited by a moderator:

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
They can't even be bothered to build a physical prototype. And 30 models? Very smart because as revenue falls due to declining ICE sales, they will be spreading talent/money very thinly over those 30 models so I'm sure they'll turn out *great*.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
61b8b10d8fe45b0018b051b0?width=700.jpg

Feast your eyes. Toyota
  • Toyota revealed more than a dozen new electric vehicles it plans to build, including a pickup truck.
  • This is the first time we're seeing what Toyota's upcoming e-truck may look like.
  • It's part of Toyota's $70 billion investment into green vehicles and technology.
We've known for months that Toyota is planning to unleash an electric pickup truck sometime soon. On Tuesday, the company revealed how it'll look.

During an event laying out its new global push into electric vehicles, Toyota took the wraps off of more than a dozen future SUVs, sedans, and sports cars. Tucked way in the back corner was one of the most exciting prospects of them all: the yet-to-be-named truck.

Here it is:

d8fe45b0018b05262?width=1300&format=jpeg&auto=webp.jpg

Toyota Pickup EV concept. Noriaki Mitsuhashi/N-RAK Photo Agency

Toyota hasn't released any details about the pickup, like when it'll arrive, how much it'll cost, or how big it'll be. It would make sense to launch an electric version of the Tundra to compete with upcoming battery-powered full-size trucks like the Ford F-150 Lightning and Chevrolet Silverado EV. But this pickup looks more Tacoma-sized.

That could be a smart move, too, since the gas-powered Tacoma crushes all other midsize pickups in the US, while the Tundra isn't nearly as popular as its rivals out of Detroit. Right now, the only electric pickup you can buy is the midsize R1T, the inaugural truck from California startup Rivian.

28fe45b0018b05279?width=1300&format=jpeg&auto=webp.jpg

Toyota electric vehicle concepts. Noriaki Mitsuhashi/N-RAK Photo Agency

Toyota launched the pioneering Prius hybrid more than 20 years ago, but has been a bit slow to embrace fully-electric vehicles, arguing that hybrids are the best way of reducing global emissions. It came out swinging on Tuesday, though, unveiling 15 electric models and plans to roll out 30 by 2030. Toyota said it would plunge $70 billion into electrification efforts and make Lexus an electric-only brand.

The company revealed lots of similar-looking electric SUVs of various sizes, but also a few more interesting models. It previewed an electric off-road SUV tentatively named the Compact Cruiser EV. It looks like the spiritual successor to Toyota's FJ Cruiser.

93f3bc50019193e5e?width=1300&format=jpeg&auto=webp.jpg

Toyota Compact Cruiser EV SUV concept. Noriaki Mitsuhashi/N-RAK Photo Agency
And it showed off sleek, low-slung sports cars from both the Lexus and Toyota brands. Details are scant for now, but we'll surely learn more about all these models as they near production.

https://www.businessinsider.com/toyota-electric-pickup-truck-f50-lightning-tacoma-rivian-2021-12
So you mean to tell me that 1 day after announcing that they are going to change direction, Toyota now has 15 electric vehicle models?

And yet the EV “leader” GM had to stop selling the 1 EV they were producing and now can’t even show us their planned EV truck beyond a blue outline.

Tesla Cybertruck Toyota revealed an electric truck to compete with the F-150 Lightning and Rivian R1T 1639530585082

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So you mean to tell me that 1 day after announcing that they are going to change direction, Toyota now has 15 electric vehicle models?

And yet the EV “leader” GM had to stop selling the 1 EV they were producing and now can’t even show us their planned EV truck beyond a blue outline.
Anyone can draw pictures. Just ask @Crissa about all the concept vehicles she drew up when she was 12. I think she said one looked like a barracuda. Hopefully it wasn’t a Merry Barracuda.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
January 5, 2022 we'll see what the truck looks like. You never know you might like it....

Deleted member 12457

1639530585082.jpeg
Could be these are simply PHEVs instead of BEVs or a standard body design that can be dropped onto either chassis. It's easy to push out a rolling body and say anything you want to about it. It's tough to have it actually move. Does anyone know if these vehicles were moved during the presentation or was everything staged?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Could be these are simply PHEVs instead of BEVs or a standard body design that can be dropped onto either chassis. It's easy to push out a rolling body and say anything you want to about it. It's tough to have it actually move. Does anyone know if these vehicles were moved during the presentation or was everything staged?
GM has access to unpatentable Nikola tech. Was the stage tilted?
Sponsored