Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 SR+, Cybertruck dual motor reservation
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I have been reading a lot recently how Tesla is removing FSD from cars that had it when they got sold to a new owner. If the new owner wants it, they have to buy it again for themselves.

But that begs the question, if that's the case and the FSD belongs only to the original purchaser, does that FSD purchase become transferable to a new car? The reason for this questions is that Tesla keeps mentioning raising the price of FSD as time goes by. And I have a Model 3 now that I will likely be handing off to one my kids when the Cybertruck is here. I would like to know if I bought FSD now and added it to my Model 3, could I then transfer it to the Cybertruck when it arrived?
Sponsored

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
I too, wonder what the answer to this question is. If it's not transferable, it would be a better investment to put that $7000 into TSLA stock.

cybertruck808

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Military
Country flag
The only stories that I've read about this have related to Tesla selling secondhand vehicles that it owned and that it has previously (via internal audit) decided to remove FSD prior to the vehicle being sold. However, there had been instances where headquarters didn't communicate these plans/audits with the individual dealer locations, thus leading to a "surprise" after someone actually bought the vehicle. See, for instance: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...eportedly-removes-features-from-used-model-s/

But even in the case linked to above, I believe that Tesla ultimately did relent and allow the driver to keep FSD.

I seriously doubt that Tesla is removing FSD and other features from people who sell their vehicles to others. And I've seen nothing to support that this is happening.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
If it is software, and the person selling or giving up the car is getting another Tesla, then I am of the opinion that it should stay with the original owner. But it should be a choice that the owner has with Tesla rather than some unilateral decision. If there is hardware 'and' software involved then I think it goes with the vehicle and Tesla shouldn't revoke it. In the end it is all about transparency. What the policy is should be put in writing when you purchase the FSD option and be held to between buyer and seller from then on, whatever it is.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
The only stories that I've read about this have related to Tesla selling secondhand vehicles that it owned and that it has previously (via internal audit) decided to remove FSD prior to the vehicle being sold. However, there had been instances where headquarters didn't communicate these plans/audits with the individual dealer locations, thus leading to a "surprise" after someone actually bought the vehicle. See, for instance: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...eportedly-removes-features-from-used-model-s/

But even in the case linked to above, I believe that Tesla ultimately did relent and allow the driver to keep FSD.

I seriously doubt that Tesla is removing FSD and other features from people who sell their vehicles to others. And I've seen nothing to support that this is happening.
when I picked up my Model Y, I asked about that. He said "That happened one time in error and was fixed immediately. The internet keeps these stories alive even when there is nothing to them.". He looked me straight in the eyes when telling me and seemed sincere about it. I believe him.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I was wondering this too, Its ridiculous if they make a new owner buy it again.
if I sell my pc to some1 they dont have to rebuy all the games I purchased.
Is there an official document in the manual or something talking about it?

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
Unfortunately I think the formula is whichever way they can legally delete it from the car after sale, then charge a new fee for the next owner, is the way they will do it. They have to get to Mars, you see. :LOL:

(and crush the shorts out of existence)

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I was wondering this too, Its ridiculous if they make a new owner buy it again.
if I sell my pc to some1 they dont have to rebuy all the games I purchased.
Is there an official document in the manual or something talking about it?
Actually they do. The SW license was sold to you for use on a computer. You can sell your computer but unless you plan on never using the SW again the buyer cannot use it.
Sponsored