Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Model S, CyberTruck
Occupation
Career Fire Fighter / Owner NJ Renewable Energy LLC
Country flag
Can't wait to get started. We will be in Boulder Colorado!
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
FYI in-bed truck campers aren't very popular.

They raise the center of gravity of a truck to a significantly higher point and represent a significantly higher probability of roll-over.

For me, the question is Fifth-wheel campers, will there be options.

OP
OP
the43k

the43k

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Model S, CyberTruck
Occupation
Country flag
FYI in-bed truck campers aren't very popular.

They raise the center of gravity of a truck to a significantly higher point and represent a significantly higher probability of roll-over.

For me, the question is Fifth-wheel campers, will there be options.
A properly designed and installed truck camper are great on the road and in many cases I'd argue vastly safer to operate on a highway / road than a TT or 5th wheel.

We certainly have a different perspective. I love truck campers, would only ever buy one and though travel trailers and 5th wheels are cool. I would never buy one, here are just a few reasons. 1. They will crush battery range
2. Too big for off roading, fire roads, switch-backs, etc.
3. Too big for boon docking,
4. Too big or expensive for tailgating in many parking lots
5. Too big for the wife to drive.
6. Build quality is pretty horrible on most TT or 5th wheels
7. In many places you have to disconnect TT or 5th wheel to go into town, fit at camp site, fit at national park.
....... could go on for days ;)

Last edited:

Tiberius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Chief cook and bottlewasher
Country flag
With reasoning like "Too big for the wife to drive" I can afford to leave the 60s behind and leave the video alone. . .

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I'm in CO too! Passed on my foundation invite cause $$ but one day I'll get a normal one so if you need testers lmk lol

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
LOL, I guess you just graduated from Harvard. Sorry I've hurt your woke feelings, but I speak to lots of RV'ers regularly and this point regarding who is driving is very common. Of course there are many women who do and can drive anything. But in general, you'd find my point to be very accurate. But being accurate is no longer allowed, I forgot. By the way, your profile under occupation says "chief cook and bottle washer" Please remove this, as the word "chief" is offensive and cultural appropriation. :)
Thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate them. . Can I ask you a question. Do you think saying "it's too big for my wife to drive" as a purchasing issue, is some offensive comment that is from the 1960"s? Were you offended? Do you think maybe there is some reality to this comment?

To give you some perspective, I reacted harshly because we are living in a bizarro world at the moment, where everyone is offended by everything. I come in contact with 100's of RV'ers. I have had numerous discussions regarding RV life, who drives, why the wife doesn't want to drive etc. I've never heard one person in any of these discussion be offended because "the wife" didn't feel comfortable with a 75" fifth wheel in a small gas station parking lot. I concede I came back strongly, I could and maybe should have just let it go. But the "wokeness" mentality is getting a little tiresome. That said I apologize.
I had deleted my comment when you deleted yours, i assumed you wanted to come off more professional, but I guess I will need to add it to this reply for context. Otherwise it looks poorly on me without context.

And in a certain light it can be seen as offensive and outdated. While I'm not offended, nor do I care, it was your reaction to someone's comment that I found unprofessional. But if you want to focus on that actual point you listed, you could do that in a professional way. Saying you can't be accurate, searching for something to attack back at someone, is not that way.

Do I know the statistics for this kind of thing? no. Do I care? no. But if someone wants to promote an idea they have to make something, I would hope they have thicker skin and don't go off on someone at the slightest annoying comment.

I don't care about whatever woke culture you are referring to, I don't care if people get offended by the things I say. It doesn't bother me, especially when I am giving an honest opinion, or a statistic that you've done some sample for (your claim, I'm not stating it). But I am never going to take some random comment from people personally and then decide that I have to retaliate. I merely wanted to point out how unprofessional it seems.

I will not comment further, and a mod can take this away, which would probably be for the best, but I will not delete it again.

OP
OP
the43k

the43k

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Model S, CyberTruck
Occupation
Country flag
For the record, I didnt delete anything. The admin did. Personally I don't think they should have because I don't think it met a reasonable level of deletable content. I believe in free speech for everyone. Though admittedly I did respond rather strongly because I feel this whining elitist cancel culture mentality is out of hand.

I''m not AT&T or Microsoft. I'm a guy with a Cybertruck looking to build something really cool that I thought I was sharing and explaining politely with the group. I didn't start this texting incident, I responded to it. The premise that I have to be "professional" while someone else belittles, dismisses, cancels me or however you want to interpret it. Sorry, I'm not going to just sit back a take snippy comments from somebody hiding behind their keyboard.

Anyway, I'm done beating this dead horse too. I came hear to share cybertruck things, not have texting wars.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Cenakaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Question from a non-truck guy, is it practical/better to have an expandable (either soft, hard or air) camper? As EVs are much more sensitive to aerodynamic changes, it would be better to have a camper that is flush to the body of the CT and only expand when needed.

OP
OP
the43k

the43k

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Model S, CyberTruck
Occupation
Country flag
In short Yes. We will work hard to limit the coefficient of drag as much as possible. It will certainly be a balancing act to construct the features we want while trying to reduce weight and drag. We will be showcasing this entire process. Please join us on X and YouTube. Thanks for the question.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
What are your thoughts on space camper?

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
Question from a non-truck guy, is it practical/better to have an expandable (either soft, hard or air) camper? As EVs are much more sensitive to aerodynamic changes, it would be better to have a camper that is flush to the body of the CT and only expand when needed.
It's up to you. A pop up soft is what I'll be looking at for same reasons, save that energy just like in ICE vehicles. A hard shell is bigger and will have more amenities like a full shower and toilet. We all have to also look at that weight capacity. 2500lbs will be hard to be under with any truck bed camper. Very limited.

DeadSetElectric

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Country flag
I see weight and aero being the biggest factors here. Assuming a camper is a premium accessory, the likelihood that same customer base would also purchase the range extender is high. So now gotta design with about 1900lbs of payload. That doesn’t take into account cargo, spare tire, metal bumpers/skid plates, humans, dog, food etc.

I’m planning for a popup camper that weighs about 600lbs. With everything mentioned above I will be floating at about 2500lbs payload at all time. The good thing about the pop up is it doesn’t affect aero at all.

I can only guess a larger camper setup like you are planning will be heavier and less compact but every problem has a solution! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and hopefully we’ll all be out on the trails soon.

Buccaneer2598

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Modle Y, Cybertruck (ordered)
Country flag
A properly designed and installed truck camper are great on the road and in many cases I'd argue vastly safer to operate on a highway / road than a TT or 5th wheel.

We certainly have a different perspective. I love truck campers, would only ever buy one and though travel trailers and 5th wheels are cool. I would never buy one, here are just a few reasons. 1. They will crush battery range
2. Too big for off roading, fire roads, switch-backs, etc.
3. Too big for boon docking,
4. Too big or expensive for tailgating in many parking lots
5. Too big for the wife to drive.
6. Build quality is pretty horrible on most TT or 5th wheels
7. In many places you have to disconnect TT or 5th wheel to go into town, fit at camp site, fit at national park.
....... could go on for days ;)
Very much a BIG YES on #6. Plus, getting service/warranty issues can be a big issue depending on your particular situation.

SKUUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
I was considering a pop-up roof-only purchase from Hiatus or Four Wheel's M-Project due to either max width, hard walls, and/or max insulation, and then building out the lower structure from there. Building out an in-bed camper will be a design challenge due to the rail-to-roof upper bed panels, although I'm sure you'll devise some creative approaches. With the "range extender" shortening the bed, an over-the-tailgate extended truck camper would be needed to regain the functionality. This appears to be what you are working on. I'd recommend keeping the retracted roof as low as possible and building in rigid rubber air deflectors at the front to transition airflow away from the truck body. Also, I would recommend keeping the front portion of the roof cap behind the truck's roof crown if possible and using a sliding extension to increase the mattress area when set up.

If there is any way to max out the pop-up's width, squeeze in a Truma Combi, a miniature mini-split, and a removable cassette toilet mounted in a curtained shower pan, and keep pricing in the $30k to $35k range, I think you would have a huge hit. I personally would go for an ARB awning, with awning room, mounted off the back end to create a continuation of the "interior" space. These are just my preferences and how I would do it, plus I'm cheap/frugal haha.

Best of luck to you with this project, regardless of the moronic commentary that you received here initially (y)
Sponsored

Last edited: