A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
There is no doubt their stuff is BLABSH but unless you are in a corrosive environment with washdown requirements it is, IMO, overkill and, of course you pay for that. The Tesla chargers are half the price, rated to 3R which is good enough for outdoors and multiple units can be networked to charge multiple cars. You can also charge any vehicle with a J1772 connector with them.

As regards water intrusion: it is necessary that the correct gland be used in order to insure 3R integrity against water. The electrician I used did not do this. When I pointed it out he assured me that there would be no problem as the unit is indoors but the inspector did not agree and made him come back. He still did not use the proper bushing but the inspector signed off so, as it is indoors, that's all I care about.

Note that I'm not trying to sell anything here. I don't own Tesla stock (but wish I did). Just dumping what I've learned in the hope that it might be helpful.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
I’m also of the mindset of waiting until I know more. My new house came with 400 Amp service (unfinished basement) so I have lots of room. Unfortunately my utility company doesn’t have off peak hours so I’m stuck with that.

Nipomo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 GMC Going for Tri-Motor
Occupation
Retired Financial Manager
Country flag
Same with my utility. I have added solar panels so I have “prepaid “ for my charging. I’m also adding 2 Tesla power walls.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Same with my utility. I have added solar panels so I have “prepaid “ for my charging. I’m also adding 2 Tesla power walls.
I REALLY want the same but I don’t think it makes financial sense in my state unfortunately.

chphilo

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), Tundra
Country flag
I thought about installing a home charger. But there are too many unknowns and 2 years (or shorter if lucky) is a long time for nothing to happen.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I have been planning to get ahead of the charging as well. I am going to put in a 125amp sub panel in my garage and then I will be able to meet what ever charging the CT has and also charge a second EV when I buy or build an electric Jeep.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
My wall charger will be installed on 20 January. I will use it to charge my PHEV Prius and will continue to read up on the different wall charger options. For instance, Wallbox recently released a bi-directional wall charger for home use. Unfortunately, it is for vehicles with CHAdeMO connectors.

Wallbox Quasar

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I have a CHAdeMO adapter. Where do I get one?

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
I have a CHAdeMO adapter. Where do I get one?
I recommend sending the sales department an email directly to find out where they are currently selling them.
The email address is [email protected]
The product you will be inquiring about is the Quasar

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I was being a bit tongue in cheek. I went to the linked website and it is pretty clear this is vaporware at this point in time. A few things would have to happen before using the car to power the house could happen:
1)The NFPA would have to change the NEC to allow powering the house from a vehicle. The current NEC requires that EVSE (the thing that goes on the wall that many people call a charger even though it isn't) installed in the US must have circuitry to PREVENT reverse flow from the car.
2)The manufacturers would have to come together with EVSE manufacturers and the utilities to come up with standards so that
Tom's car would interface with Dick's EVSE which in turn would not upset Harry's power company.
3)The manufacturers would have to start making cars that met the new standard

All this is, of course, doable. I think it is being done, at least on an experimental basis, in Asia and Europe.

Last edited:

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Does anyone know what size of conductor fits in the Tesla charger? Can it take 2/0?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
No. The maximum is No. 2 but that's good for 115 A with 75 °C insulation. The terminal block is a Hoppy HP - ATA - 100 -1. As the HPWC will draw no more than 80 A No. 2 is more than sufficient unless you have a very long run and want minimum voltage drop. Above 60 A both US and Canadian codes require a separate, lockable disconnect. Should you need to run 2/0 for voltage drop reasons you could run that to the disconnect and something more reasonable from the disconnect to the terminal block.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Thank you. I am putting in a 125 amp sub panel in my garage to get ahead of the CT. I have found 2/0 tech cable for $10 a ft. So I will be more than able to charge while running an electric heater.

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Had a 100amp Circuit & Wall Charger installed today (for the model 3)....plan for a second wall charger to run in series on the same circuit when I get the CT.....the 3 maxes at 44 mi/hr charge (48 amps)....guessing the Cyber Truck with significantly larger battery will have a faster internal charger...otherwise it will take 14 hours for a full charge.
Sponsored