Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One way EVs could get a bigger foothold on ICE would be to standardize charging stations like ICE can use any gas pump. I know Musk will allow others to use his chargers for a price and non are willing to pay that price. But if they banded together and settled on a standard it would be beneficial for the world. That would leave two types of stations: the universal and Tesla. Then Musk can make an adapter so Tesla can also use the universal station!???
Sponsored

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
it seems like a standard is forming, but Tesla, the leader, did there own :{ its smart from a marketing/ business perspective. One of the MAIN reason I would choose a tesla is the supercharging network.

I dont see them letting others use it, at least not cheaply.
My school has free lvl2 charging with only 1 cord per charger... I see Teslas, leafs, i think iv seen that weird hyundai, and also Zero motorcycles charging there.

i should note i dont own an EV or know much about charging, just saying what i see

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
CCS and J-1772 are becoming the defacto North American standard. In the EU, they use the Mennekes instead of the J-1772, but they use CCS there.

Tesla uses CCS in the EU and whatever the local standard in China is; it's only in North America that they've resisted shifting over. You can get an adapter, though.

So there really is one charging standard already.

The problem going forward is, every vehicle and grid has different capacity. You need the right gauge of wires (and like say, the Tesla Models S and X have lower gauge wiring in their pack and can't charge at the same rate as the Model 3 and Y).

And the grid has to be able to take the load. A J-plug uses power just like any appliance in your house, supplying 240 volts and telling the vehicle's on-board charger how much amperage is available. While a CCS charger bypasses the on-board charging system and is a big machine in and of itself, requiring very specific mains power capacity. So they can't be installed in every house.

Then there's smaller vehicles: My Zero can only charge at 1.4KWh because it has a small onboard charger since it's just a motorcycle. And its on-board battery is only about 100 volts, so it's not compatible with CCS. (You can buy them with up to 12KWh of J-plug charging, tho few charging stations can handle it.) But even smaller vehicles like e-bikes and those power-skates have small batteries and small chargers, so they'll consequently never be able to charge at a CCS station like a car. And would they want to?

-Crissa

PS: The difference between a Tesla 'Destination' charger and the 'Supercharger' is exactly the same as the difference between a J-plug and a CCS DC fast-charging station. So you can get adapters to charge small vehicles off Tesla Destination chargers, too.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I expect the differences in allowable charging rates between the Tesla models is more from improvements to the battery cooling circuits and BMS than the size of the wire.

There are, of course, differences, but none that aren't easily overcome with a little interfacing circuitry. So yes, you can, in most cases, charge your J1772 equipped car from a Tesla HPWC using an adapter sold under trademark "TeslaTap"
Sponsored