Unless a new class of buyer joins, there will not be many takers at $85k+ for a pickup

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
How much of the population do you think has 85k to spend on a truck?

If 85k is the going rate to get an EV truck, then i don't see them selling millions of trucks. Do you know another vehicle on the road that sells for 85k and are numbered in the millions.
$85K for a truck is pretty close to the market where I live. Farmers, ranchers, contractors, and people like me who need a truck for DIY projects to keep our sanity and hands busy. Joking aside, the purchase price is not the whole calculation, there is the maintenance, the fuel costs, the economy and practicality. Truck owners are not stupid, nor do any of us want to waste our money. So, if we can afford the price of entry, and I have seen some $100K rigs rolling coal around my area, then the market will bear the purchase price of all levels of the cybertruck. The bottom line is there are close to 1.5M preorders, which even if half of the orders disappear before the production ramp, is still enough to keep the lines at full production for years! That will be enough cybertrucks to make people realize how stupid clinging to I.C.E. really is. One last thing, I still think that E.M. is set on competing directly with the I.C.E. truck market only, so the pricing will be competitive with the cost of ownership of an I.C.E. truck.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I said “their margins will be fine with rational inflation adjustments”.

What I’m suggesting is people are going way beyond rational inflation adjustments. We haven’t seen 50% inflation, yet here we’re talking about 50% price increases on the Cybertruck. That is not rational inflation adjustment, that’s fear driven hyperbole.

The Cybertruck was the better value at launch, it was the better value when Ford launched the F150. If Tesla increases prices on par with what competitors have, it will remain the better value. Tesla has massive pricing advantage on their batteries. They also have a significantly more efficient design which will reduce the battery size for the same range.

This ultimately boils down to the idea that you think Tesla priced the Cybertruck poorly to begin with.
It also boils down to a belief that Tesla is just like every other auto maker (and almost every other company) with respect to profit. Just last week Elon was talking about the supercharging station in Santa Monica and said it probably isn't a sound idea financially but that it will be cool. Is that something Jim Farly would say? So, we have the Tesla vision and their history, their efficiency and technological lead, their large profit margins, and their willingness to burn some cash to do what they want - and they want to put out an electric pickup that will blow the doors off the industry. I still believe that this means that they will raise prices if they have to, and only as much as they have to, and only for as long as they have to.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Isn't this literally what this post is about. Speculating on cost and demand. If speculating is a problem they should moderate speculating threads better.
If we removed all non-factual content (including so-called articles written by so-called journalists) from this forum there would be precious little remaining (e.g., all my comments would be gone, hurray?!).

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yet.. its not burning cash, we are talking about it.

Musky is a sly old fox !!!
Sponsored