Unless a new class of buyer joins, there will not be many takers at $85k+ for a pickup

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
The price of a typical truck is irrelevant. The average transaction price for a midsize SUV in 2021 was $43,623. A Model Y is $68k before options. Full size truck is $57,267. The Model Y enjoys a 56% premium. If a Tesla truck enjoys the same factor, you're looking at $89k.

The CT will also command more attention on a night out than Bugatti. For the first year they can charge whatever they want and people will pay it. If they want to sell 250k a year, they need to get the price down, but for the first year or so they can charge whatever they want.
Sponsored

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
The price of a typical truck is irrelevant. The average transaction price for a midsize SUV in 2021 was $43,623. A Model Y is $68k before options. Full size truck is $57,267. The Model Y enjoys a 56% premium. If a Tesla truck enjoys the same factor, you're looking at $89k.

The CT will also command more attention on a night out than Bugatti. For the first year they can charge whatever they want and people will pay it. If they want to sell 250k a year, they need to get the price down, but for the first year or so they can charge whatever they want.
I tend to agree. I just saw a Rivian truck 2022 1200 miles for sale for $125,000 in Bellingham Washington a pretty small town.

Macgyverfever

First Name
Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag
How can everyone afford not to buy an EV?

ICE vehicles need oil changes, pads/rotors, belts, and expensive fuel. My Cybertruck will charge at low cost, needing only new tires periodically.

Average selling price of a new car is ~$45k, EVs $55k, SUVs $65k, Luxury/Sports $99k+. The Cybertruck is EV, and SUV, and Luxury/Sports, so the prices seem very reasonable.

I agree that Tesla won't sell 1M Plaid CTs, but no one suggested they would? The reservations are 85% dual/tri ($49k-$69k) with most as dual-motor.
EXACTLY! That's what I keep telling the wife - she doesn't understand because she can't look past its beautiful ugliness..

I'm gonna have a bear talk to her...

YeahYeahYeah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tundra(sold),02 Subaru Outback,1967 Fastback
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Hey MOD please just delete my account!!! f'ing censor me completely

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Huh? Get the price down from what? They already have far more than a million reservations based on the reveal pricing of $39.9K, $49.9K and $69.9K but it sounds like you're saying they need to lower the price further to sell more than 250K of 'em?

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Huh? Get the price down from what? They already have far more than a million reservations based on the reveal pricing of $39.9K, $49.9K and $69.9K but it sounds like you're saying they need to lower the price further to sell more than 250K of 'em?
Down from "whatever they want". I'm saying they can sell $100k CT4 plaids for 2023. But they will need to have a semi-affordable model if they want to crank out 250k trucks per year.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
EXACTLY! That's what I keep telling the wife - she doesn't understand because she can't look past its beautiful ugliness..

I'm gonna have a bear talk to her...

No, give the beer to her, it will make the truck look more beautiful !
:ROFLMAO:

TAP1A

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri motor, tesla 3 performance
Occupation
Digital Operations Engineer
Country flag
How much of the population do you think has 85k to spend on a truck?

If 85k is the going rate to get an EV truck, then i don't see them selling millions of trucks. Do you know another vehicle on the road that sells for 85k and are numbered in the millions.
this might not be an accurate comparison but look at the new c8 corvette. they go for 90k plus and everyone is buying them. if teslas quad motor goes for 100k there will absolutely be people buying it at that price. me being one of them. especially with the specs elon has teased. a truck doing 500 range and 2.9 60. there will be a huge market of people that will pay that much.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
this might not be an accurate comparison but look at the new c8 corvette. they go for 90k plus and everyone is buying them. if teslas quad motor goes for 100k there will absolutely be people buying it at that price. me being one of them. especially with the specs elon has teased. a truck doing 500 range and 2.9 60. there will be a huge market of people that will pay that much.
During the complete 2021 calendar year, Corvette sales increased about 53 percent to 33,041 units
Very popular. That's about how many Mach-E were sold. And normally how many Model S&X. But about 10% of what Tesla sold Model Y and 3 combined.

Elon wants Model 3 and Y numbers, not Model S numbers. Mass production.

-Crissa

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
I was reading about the F150 Limited and it's history. It is basically an F150 configured with the most expensive available options for the truck and some options only available to this top trim.
It tops out at about $84k and has alway been close to 3x the price of the base model.

The Limited has never accounted for more than 1% of overall F150 sales. So very few people are willing to step up to that price point.

I know at $70k, CT3 has a good percentage of the reservations but as Elon alluded, there is a price cliff beyond which willing buyers drop off drastically.

This being a pickup, i dont see a big market for a $85k CT4 or plaid. As unique as it may be, most couldn't afford it and many who can couldn't stomach it. What are your thoughts.
You have valid points.

Which is echo-ed by what Elon said....there is a price cliff - at some point.
Maybe it is $75K. Maybe it is $85K. Or Maybe it is $95K.

Point is, only a small % of buyers can or will plunk down $85,000+ for an EV pickup, let alone any vehicle. How many Hummers have sold? Tesla Plaids? Lucids? Porsche Taycan?

Selling 100,000 of a luxury priced vehicle is one thing. Selling a million, or more, is a totally another thing.

I would buy a CyberTruck Quad tomorrow for $85,000. But, I would have no interest in it at $100,000+. I would buy a Rivian 400 mile range model for $80,000 tomorrow, but have no interest at $100K. Ditto the Ford Lightning.

We shall see how it shakes someday, when that someday comes that Tesla finally rolls the Cybertruck out the doors in Austin.

I feel bad for those that are clinging to the hope there will be a Cybertruck under $60,000. I just don't ever seeing that happening.

darinduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 P85D Model S; 2001 Silverado 1500
Occupation
Design Director
Country flag
When the Model S launched in 2012, prices ranged roughly from $70K - $120K+. They have never been able to keep up with demand since they started making them. There are plenty of people already spending $85K+ on pickup trucks that never go off-road.
Sponsored