Unless a new class of buyer joins, there will not be many takers at $85k+ for a pickup

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
I will be buying mine with Canadian dollars and they seem to add another 5% on top of the exchange so I am looking at at least 90 to 100 k (CAD) probably for the CT3 with another 13% tax (HST) and our 5 K federal EV rebate is a joke as it tops out at 80 K unlike your federal 7.5 k rebate in the US.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think you are trolling for comments. When you look at the EV truck market, $85K is not that much money.
Currently, the “EV Truck Market” consists of about 7500 trucks. TOTAL.

Tesla wants to ship 250,000 trucks per year.

Do you really think average pricing on the first 7,500k trucks is a good indicator for pricing of the next 10,000,000?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
When the Model S launched in 2012, prices ranged roughly from $70K - $120K+. They have never been able to keep up with demand since they started making them. There are plenty of people already spending $85K+ on pickup trucks that never go off-road.
Average price of a pickup truck in 2021 was $41k, with the brisk rate of inflation right now, that’s likely up a bit, but not doubled.

There are **some** trucks selling for $85k but the vast majority sell for $35k - $50k.

Halemarine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.halemarine.com
Vehicles
Model Y, Ford F150, Chevrolet Equinox
Country flag
Very popular. That's about how many Mach-E were sold. And normally how many Model S&X. But about 10% of what Tesla sold Model Y and 3 combined.

Elon wants Model 3 and Y numbers, not Model S numbers. Mass production.

-Crissa
Thanks for adding your informative insight đź‘Ť

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Currently, the “EV Truck Market” consists of about 7500 trucks. TOTAL.

Tesla wants to ship 250,000 trucks per year.

Do you really think average pricing on the first 7,500k trucks is a good indicator for pricing of the next 10,000,000?
I'm a bit surprised I need to esplain this to you, but here goes.

When Tesla begins their production, the immediate goal will be 1000 per week. It could take several months to reach that goal. So, out of the gate, Elon wants to do "Shock & Awe" for the public. The Plaid Cybertruck would blow away anything that has ever been done in the history of vehicles. Tesla will not care if the demand for Plaid Cybertrucks is limited. They know that they won't be able to produce THEM to the level of demand for several months or longer.

BUT, when those monsters hit the streets, it will be massive publicity for next to nothing, and the demand for NORMAL Cybertrucks will go through the roof. At that point Tesla is hoping they can produce 250,000 "normal" Cybertrucks per year.

It's called marketing!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm a bit surprised I need to esplain this to you, but here goes.

When Tesla begins their production, the immediate goal will be 1000 per week. It could take several months to reach that goal. So, out of the gate, Elon wants to do "Shock & Awe" for the public. The Plaid Cybertruck would blow away anything that has ever been done in the history of vehicles. Tesla will not care if the demand for Plaid Cybertrucks is limited. They know that they won't be able to produce THEM to the level of demand for several months or longer.

BUT, when those monsters hit the streets, it will be massive publicity for next to nothing, and the demand for NORMAL Cybertrucks will go through the roof. At that point Tesla is hoping they can produce 250,000 "normal" Cybertrucks per year.

It's called marketing!
This is a bit of a goalpost shift.

OP said there would not be many takers at $85k. First you called him a troll. Now you seem to be agreeing with that sentiment.

Neither the OP nor myself suggested Tesla would never sell a Cybertruck for $85k. Just that it’s a limited market.

I don’t know what Tesla’s launch strategy is going to be, but I can say for certain that an affordable Cybertruck is going to have a much higher shock and awe value than a high end truck.

Tesla chose to launch their Texas Model Y with a lower end vehicle. Sometimes the launch strategy is more about what pieces they have ready to put to use then what vehicle they want to put on the road.

Jrm44

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X had the Y
Occupation
Power industry
Country flag
I was reading about the F150 Limited and it's history. It is basically an F150 configured with the most expensive available options for the truck and some options only available to this top trim.
It tops out at about $84k and has alway been close to 3x the price of the base model.

The Limited has never accounted for more than 1% of overall F150 sales. So very few people are willing to step up to that price point.

I know at $70k, CT3 has a good percentage of the reservations but as Elon alluded, there is a price cliff beyond which willing buyers drop off drastically.

This being a pickup, i dont see a big market for a $85k CT4 or plaid. As unique as it may be, most couldn't afford it and many who can couldn't stomach it. What are your thoughts.
I think if “people” (those who need spoon feeding) realized the value and benefit to our globally changing environment that these vehicles have, it would be a no-brainer! Of my wife would let me, and we didn’t just start a family,id spend the 85k rather than the 69k I signed up for.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Who will be buying $85,000 Cybertrucks?
Baby Boomers with a lot of disposable income (me).
Tradesmen and fleets who are getting killed by fuel, repair and maintenance.
People who want something completely different.

We bought a 2022 RAM 3500 Tradesman last year.
Bottom line truck (few bells and whistles) and it was still north of 70 grand.
They had a couple on the lot that were north of 90K.
For every person out there that can't (or won't) pay big money for a CT there will be five who will.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
When the Model S launched in 2012, prices ranged roughly from $70K - $120K+. They have never been able to keep up with demand since they started making them. There are plenty of people already spending $85K+ on pickup trucks that never go off-road.
This is not true,

Sales for Model S they in fact made so many they offered them on cheap leases. They make more profit on Model 3/Y, tho.

-Crissa

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
What’s the “vault”?
I took it to mean the lockable storage area under the truck bed floor. But I think other people interpret it as the entire bed area because the tonneau cover is lockable (not unlike many others) but also stronger and more secure then most.
Sponsored