James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Nissan Frontier, 2013 Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Musician/Yogi
Country flag
I have a shell over the 6’ bed of my 2003 Nissan Frontier. Our band packs all of our music gear into the covered bed of the truck. We are based in Salt Lake City, UT and on occasion will arrive to a gig and unload in the snow and rain. I reserved a dual motor CT a week after they started taking reservations and cannot wait to (hopefully) fly down to giga Austin and pick it up when it’s ready. I am trying to imagine how it would work to unload all of our gear in the rain with the ”vault cover” on my CT. I wonder if I can drop the back suspension a little bit so the bed has a slight downhill tilt to let water run away from the equipment and then roll the cover back a little at a time so the gear we haven’t gotten to yet remains dry. Anyone else have similar concerns or thoughts? Thanks! - James
Sponsored

Last edited:

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yep, as a fellow musician and drummer I've thought about this TONS!

Hopefully the tonneau can be stopped incrementally or anywhere you want via button press to assist people like you and I who want to cover up as much as possible, but retract it enough to gain the vertical clearance required to slide stuff in there...

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
You can bet that just like Jeeps, there will be caps custom made for CT. Nothing really has to change in how you use it vs. your existing truck, you will just have to buy a cap made to fit the CT.

That said, I imagine that Tesla will provide a way to stop the tonneau rolling up all the way just as every garage door works now. You press a single press to roll it up, press again to stop. Not a big deal to implement that, and if it is not there at release, I am sure it would be one of the first over the air updates, as a lot of people will want that function.

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just Purchased: 2021 F150 Hybrid Platinum
Country flag

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Another possibility is getting a slide out bed, this would greatly increase access to gear in the bed. You would need to keep everything stacked fairly flat though If you want to unload with the vault covered.

Tesla Cybertruck Unloading in the Rain ? 1634242693776

I could almost see doing this plus a shelf that is the same level as the vault when closed. Then you would pull out the drawer and unload everything from the drawer, then open the vault and unload everything from the shelf on top.

That plus the frunk and the sail pillar storage… IMO serious ass kickage in terms of storage.

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
I would do the same way you planned plus plastic bags and film attached with magnets to the screw heads on amps (if there are no covers).
But I doubt that Tesla could protect from the heavenly waters a freight team of musicians.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I have a shell over the 6’ bed of my 2003 Nissan Frontier. Our band packs all of our music gear into the covered bed of the truck. We are based in Salt Lake City, UT and on occasion will arrive to a gig and unload in the snow and rain. I reserved a dual motor CT a week after they started taking reservations and cannot wait to (hopefully) fly down to giga Austin and pick it up when it’s ready. I am trying to imagine how it would work to unload all of our gear in the rain with the the ”vault cover” on my CT. I wonder if I can drop the back suspension a little bit so the bed has a slight downhill tilt to let water run away from the equipment and then roll the cover back a little at a time so the gear we haven’t gotten to yet remains dry. Anyone else have similar concerns or thoughts? Thanks! - James
Gig’d in the 60’s throughout Midwest with a B3 Leslie and 6 bandmates gear plus lighting, FoH and PA towers.

Go the trailer route. You can pack-up after a practice, hook and go for the weekend. No re-meet tp packout your CT before getting on the road. Trailer flex means a road, friend or other can hook and deliver to your gig - freeing you to fly first class in that CT.

We made an Econoline van work, roadies and friends. That was too small but creativity we had in abundance.

OP
OP
HardyBro2

HardyBro2

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician/Yogi
Country flag
Yep, as a fellow musician and drummer I've thought about this TONS!

Hopefully the tonneau can be stopped incrementally or anywhere you want via button press to assist people like you and I who want to cover up as much as possible, but retract it enough to gain the vertical clearance required to slide stuff in there...
Right on! Yeah we're on the same page. On the other hand I cannot wait to have the CT "bed ramp" to roll equipment in and out = no more squatting in my shell!

What's the name of your band? Where you guys located? What do you guys play? We are "The Hardy Brothers" based in Salt Lake City Utah and fuse rock, reggae, americana and funk! www.thehardybrothersmusic.com

OP
OP
HardyBro2

HardyBro2

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician/Yogi
Country flag
You can bet that just like Jeeps, there will be caps custom made for CT. Nothing really has to change in how you use it vs. your existing truck, you will just have to buy a cap made to fit the CT.

That said, I imagine that Tesla will provide a way to stop the tonneau rolling up all the way just as every garage door works now. You press a single press to roll it up, press again to stop. Not a big deal to implement that, and if it is not there at release, I am sure it would be one of the first over the air updates, as a lot of people will want that function.
Thanks for the reply Rod! I've thought about this too. I wonder if part of the aerodynamics/range is due in part to the tonneau's slop and if you were to put a traditional truck shell on it, would it drop your range?

And yes, gotta love the fact that Tesla can over the air update so many solutions!

OP
OP
HardyBro2

HardyBro2

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician/Yogi
Country flag
OP
OP
HardyBro2

HardyBro2

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician/Yogi
Country flag
Another possibility is getting a slide out bed, this would greatly increase access to gear in the bed. You would need to keep everything stacked fairly flat though If you want to unload with the vault covered.

1634242693776.jpeg

I could almost see doing this plus a shelf that is the same level as the vault when closed. Then you would pull out the drawer and unload everything from the drawer, then open the vault and unload everything from the shelf on top.

That plus the frunk and the sail pillar storage… IMO serious ass kickage in terms of storage.
Man....totally! I had not even considered the frunk/side pillars for band gear storage. It's gonna be a game changer. Love the sliding, but one thing I am really looking forward to is dropping the tailgate ramp and rolling gear in and out of the truck bed!

OP
OP
HardyBro2

HardyBro2

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician/Yogi