cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I’ll stick with the beefier GYs and sacrifice a bit of range to have the freedom to roam!
these Pirelli’s still look like they’re on 20” rims

suspect they’re more stiff
Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
In this tiktok video circulating today, I noticed an all-new wheel set, as well as an all-new tire for the Cybertruck - but the new tire is maybe the bigger news.

Compared to the beefier wheel first seen on release candidates (and wearing beefier Goodyear M&S tires), this new wheel set appears more basic, and the tire appears to be a more street-oriented offering.

Notice the inset heptagonal shape around the lugs/hub, which was first seen only in the newer wheel set of the GFTX release candidates:

1693249056009.png

Of the various differences compared to previously seen tire offerings (SEE ADDENDUM BELOW), note eg the new design pattern on the midline of the sidewall:

1693249562650.png

Also, while difficult to make out in any still photo from the video, the video itself has a distinctive lack of any typically large 'Goodyear' branding.

I'm personally convinced instead that what *can* be made out in the video is the tell-tale 'Pirelli' emblem

1693250048910.png

If that *is* Pirelli, here's why that could be exciting:

Pirelli offers its "ELECT" line of tires, built specifically for BEVs - both dealing with the added weight, and claiming to recoup up to 10% of range typically lost to rolling resistance - more from the Perelli site below:

More battery range
Enjoy a long and carefree drive, with an extra boost in battery range when choosing ELECT™ tires, engineered to dissipate less energy thanks to low rolling resistance, which enables up to 10% gain in battery range1. Start your journey with ELECT™ now.
Convenience ELECT™ tyres – lower battery consumption means less need for charging, therefore less energy is needed. This is convenient for both the driver and the environment.
Focus on safety
Control your power. ELECT™ tires are specifically designed with enhanced grip to manage high torque and include reinforced structures to cope with EV weights, which tend to be heavier than traditional vehicles. Optimized performance in both acceleration and braking, with a focus on safety for you and your passengers.
Superior acoustic comfort
Let silence be your driving companion. Electric vehicles are quieter than traditional internal combustion engine vehicles, therefore tyre noise is more noticeable. ELECT™ tyres are specifically designed to reduce perceived in-cabin noise by up to 20%3 for you to enjoy a more comfortable drive. Feel the benefits of electric driving, starting with a quiet journey.

Durable Tire
Electric vehicles can generate stronger stresses on tire wear and tear. Pirelli’s new innovative process aims to maintain the extended mileage required for high-performing EV tires while also minimizing waste of raw materials during the design and testing phases

Previously, I believe ELECT lines were replacement only. And currently they don't offer an ELECT in CT sizes (Why would they - what BEV would wear them).

But if Tesla is looking to eek out as much range from the CT as possible, and they are, I can see a Tesla-Pirelli ELECT cooperation to create a CT-specific tire with special sidewall patterns, etc.

If so, Goodyear's deal to do the same wasn't exclusive
My 2023 Rivian R1S comes with 275/55R21;
Tesla Cybertruck UPDATE - CONFIRMED: Pirelli Scorpion ATR Tire (and base wheel) Package [8-28-2023] Update [9-11-2023] 20230514_230935
PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON with ELECT, EcoImpact and Electric Vehicle Tuned features. Rides well, relatively quiet and supposedly improves range as well.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
20230514_230935.jpg
PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON with ELECT, EcoImpact and Electric Vehicle Tuned features. Rides well, relatively quiet and supposedly improves range as well.
which is a ~ 31.9x10.8 R21

Visually, makes since of the CT offering still being a ~ 34.6x11.2 R20 , like the others we’ve seen

lots more sidewall

Tesla Cybertruck UPDATE - CONFIRMED: Pirelli Scorpion ATR Tire (and base wheel) Package [8-28-2023] Update [9-11-2023] FA022260-561D-447A-8975-64B2BC3288DA

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Hopefully better performing than the cr@p Pirelli tires on the Rivian 21" wheels! Customers are struggling to get even 20k miles out of the Pirelli Scorpion Verde 21" AS tires that come standard on the Rivian and they are currently the only tire that fits the vehicle.
That’s mostly because of the interestingly daft ideal of offering a 21” wheel size standard. Should have been a 20 or 22”.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
20230514_230935.jpg
Those are sweet looking rims.

Wipster

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 MB E320, 2006 Braun Entervan
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think it looks just like the wheels on the Mitsubishi Outlander personally...

They will be what they will be and hopefully we'll know soon!

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
I will look carefully at the tire options.

I had Pirelli's on my Camaro as OE and replacements. I found they wore out quickly. I think the rubber compound was too soft for the hot Florida climate.

The second shopping time around, I paid attention to mileage warranty. This time the Pirelli tires didn't make the cut, so I chose another quality brand.

alcstarheel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A few
Country flag
I will look carefully at the tire options.

I had Pirelli's on my Camaro as OE and replacements. I found they wore out quickly. I think the rubber compound was too soft for the hot Florida climate.

The second shopping time around, I paid attention to mileage warranty. This time the Pirelli tires didn't make the cut, so I chose another quality brand.
Same same I think those tires lasted all of 20,000 miles. I switched up right away. Burning rubber on hot Texas asphalt costs big 💵

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I've been tire flummoxed since I reserved my CT. Main duty will be pulling a travel trailer, so low rolling resistance and sidewall rigidity are top priorities. I've seen a fair share of RV rigs stuck in the mud at damp camp sites, so a bit of aggressive tread and tire deflation ability would come in handy often enough to come into consideration. I want to go exploring in areas where I'm vacationing so a touch of off-roadability would be nice too. Sooooo, all I want is a tire that can do everything (except high speed). 😬

I really think there's a business opportunity for a tire rental service in places like Moab. I could/would never outfit my tow vehicle with huge off roader tires and beadlock wheels, but I'd sure like to swap out for a set for a week or so in off-roader land. I won't be dragging a set around the country for the rare opportunities they'd be useful. Oh well. 😕

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
I've been tire flummoxed since I reserved my CT. Main duty will be pulling a travel trailer, so low rolling resistance and sidewall rigidity are top priorities. I've seen a fair share of RV rigs stuck in the mud at damp camp sites, so a bit of aggressive tread and tire deflation ability would come in handy often enough to come into consideration. I want to go exploring in areas where I'm vacationing so a touch of off-roadability would be nice too. Sooooo, all I want is a tire that can do everything (except high speed). 😬

I really think there's a business opportunity for a tire rental service in places like Moab. I could/would never outfit my tow vehicle with huge off roader tires and beadlock wheels, but I'd sure like to swap out for a set for a week or so in off-roader land. I won't be dragging a set around the country for the rare opportunities they'd be useful. Oh well. 😕
Will wait to see what is available. Might have to have 2 sets if specificity prevails. 😔

TexasRaider

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck + MS
Occupation
Civil
Country flag
With 2 million ish on order, it might be a nice contract to land. We may see more manufacturers as production hits the 375K stride. When I think of Pirelli I think of short sidewalls, strong cornering tires, not off road 35s
I had placed Pirelli tires on both my 17MS and 09 Highlander Hybrid. While the performance was good enough, both vehicles road worse and ended up lasting less than 50% of the warranty or had to be replaced because of defects on both vehicles. I’ve now switched to michelins on both vehicles. (Only 1 week out, so I can’t speak to the improvements so far.)

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
My wife declared "Anything except those hubcaps from the reveal that stick out just begging for a pothole edge or curb."
I have to agree... I want a little rubber past the rim or hubcap.
Sponsored