TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
I don't care if they do or don't. I'm just curious if they will. I don't think any vehicle has ever been produced without some sort of badge.

I am definitely in the "less is more" camp. I always HATED that the Prius had to tell you that it is a "hybrid" on the left, on the right, on the rear. The period of hybrid "awareness" is over.

I also was annoyed that a "Model Y" I pulled up behind the other day had that badge rather than a simple "Y". I wouldn't want a Prius badged "Model Prius."
Sponsored

Skidmarks68

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Radtech
Country flag
I think having a letter as your cars name is about as boring and thoughtless as it gets. Then again if you look at what he named his kid its not surprising. The Cybertruck title was a great idea. I wish it looked more like its name. I hope the changes he makes are as much cosmetic as mechanical. Over the past 12 months the CT is aging rapidly especially from the rear view. I know we see it everyday and are over saturated with images due to our interests in its capabilities, but It just cant get out of the 70's. Its looking more like a modified Dalek from Dr Who. Elon says its a "tank from the future" but there is nothing I see here that even qualifies as a 21st century design. The future is whats inside of the CT and it would be nice if the changes made would be reflected in its visual appearance as well as whats under the hood.

KendrickMB

First Name
Kendrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Trax, 2012 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I am definitely in the "less is more" camp. I always HATED that the Prius had to tell you that it is a "hybrid" on the left, on the right, on the rear. The period of hybrid "awareness" is over.

I also was annoyed that a "Model Y" I pulled up behind the other day had that badge rather than a simple "Y". I wouldn't want a Prius badged "Model Prius."
The way I have always understood the names of Tesla's cars, the car's name is Model Y. "Model" is part of the name. So it makes sense to have "Model Y" on the car.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
This was an interesting recap of Cybertruck changes, but also some new information on Tesla upgrades I had not heard yet.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
This was an interesting recap of Cybertruck changes,

Is Ryan inept or is it by design, he's left out key statements and therefore his conclusion is in part misleading ?

Elon's statements have had high public visibility, and been circulating, from the much hyped online Battery Day Presentation. So isn't it pretty hard to suggest he's simply oblivious to these facts !

Conspicuous by its absence, he left out a number of significant statements by Elon :

" Wolverine Cybertruck"
" Impossible to meet all the Euro regs . . . . ."
We'll make "a ~73" wide " Cybertruck for Europe "
" We'll make an alternative "World Market Cybertruck"

Although he did mention Elon's tweet about " . . . a smaller tight world truck . . . "
He failed to mention the other statements and comment on their significance.

I think the Euro and associated market reservation holders are very much looking forward to the update in a month or so, and see what alternative Cybertruck they / we, will be getting since its confirmed the 231.7 inch version " is impossible " to meet Euro regs and be sold ( homologated ) there.

Though I think Ryan's right when he says "They'll be making a lot of people angry " if they changed the design, he could also add how the world reservation holders are looking forward to seeing what their alternative Cybertruck will look like. As its also expected to be a short bed version.

Many people on Twitter and else where have already called for more details about the Wolverine Cybertruck, since Elon publicly identified it, and mentioned why it's been necessary to create it.

It would be interesting to see what response Elon and Tesla get online and formally, if they don't reveal the Wolverine Cybertruck in the "next month or so". . . . . since Euro and related market reservation holders have just been left hanging.

I seriously doubt Elon and Tesla will be that silly as to try to ignore the excitement they have built around the Wolverine Cybertruck. . . . . . . . It would be like trying to ignore the Elephant in the room ;) . . . . .
Shazam ! The situation is turning into a zoo:ROFLMAO:

P.S. What do you think Ryan ?
Would you care to revise your video with some further research on what's been disclosed by
Elon about the Wolverine Cybertruck ?

Last edited:

OP
OP
Ehninger1212

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Based on some articles I have seen recently i think some people mistakenly think the truck is getting some sort of full redesign.. this is simply not true. We are talking about minor details needed to bring the truck to production.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I truly hope there are upgrade points in the design for winch, lights, Night vision camera (because why the hell not) etc..... but something that wouldn't surprise me is if tesla designed their own winch. Given that It has much higher voltages to pull from instead of just 12v.
Maybe a winch that works with offroad settings and cameras to pull itself out. Maybe a much higher release rate Ft/min when you're walking it to an anchor point.
I realize its not that big of deal to take 2 min to let out a decent amount of synth rope or cable. Just something I could see tesla using its immense electrical supply to create a winch with new features.
just a thought
A Tesla winch would be awesome! Spectra line, super-high torque and, knowing how Tesla does things, it would measure the torque on the spool during line unspooling that would feed it at whatever rate you pull it out. You could run with it as long as you could keep a little pressure on the line. There could even be a built-in pulley near the under-belly and four-way rollers in the rear bumper so you could winch from the front or back.

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
It is a shame that GiGa Austin (and the 4680) build/ramp up are still a year away.
(significant numbers..).

The Design Team has to keep some of their "powder dry", to surprise the first customers, with some thing new in 2021.
Thus the "competition" will be left in the dark, until they (their sales) are hit by cybertruck.
No pun intended...

Elon has to pace himself, as hard as it might be for him.

Keeping quiet for such a long time let the speculations run wild and increase the hype / expectations.

Now a "reveal", at the first aniversary, must show something substancial (pass throuh?),
shut up the "it is not street legal" folks, finalise the dimensions and say if / when TESLA will export the CT.

Personally I would like to hear something about picking up the CT at the factory.?

Tesla could strengthen their customer loyalty even more if they offer package(s) like:

Factory tour, test drive (off road, there is enought space at GiGa Austin), pick up of CT, customize shop, temporary insureance/licencing and even accomodation (in your CT-CamperTop).

For oversea customers the iceing on the cake:
CT drop of (at the shiping harbour ?, after a US road trip).
Tesla organizes shipping, customs and delivery to final destination. ??

I know we are spoiled in Germany, but just look at "Autostadt Wolfsburg" what VW is dishing out.
It is like going to a Car-Disneyland.... while picking up your new car on the way.

Daimler Benz offers similar services (e.g. unimog testgelände sauberg). You even get to eat lunch with the factory workers in the same canteen.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
It is a shame that GiGa Austin (and the 4680) build/ramp up are still a year away.
(significant numbers..).

The Design Team has to keep some of their "powder dry", to surprise the first customers, with some thing new in 2021.
Thus the "competition" will be left in the dark, until they (their sales) are hit by cybertruck.
No pun intended...

Keeping quiet for such a long time let the speculations run wild and increase the hype / expectations.

Now a "reveal", at the first aniversary, must show something substancial (pass throuh?),
shut up the "it is not street legal" folks, finalise the dimensions and say if / when TESLA will export the CT.

Personally I would like to hear something about picking up the CT at the factory.?

Tesla could strengthen their customer loyalty even more if they offer package(s) like:

Factory tour, test drive (off road, there is enought space at GiGa Austin), pick up of CT, customize shop, temporary insureance/licencing and even accomodation (in your CT-CamperTop).

I know we are spoiled in Germany, but just look at "Autostadt Wolfsburg" what VW is dishing out.
It is like going to a Car-Disneyland.... while picking up your new car on the way.

Daimler Benz offers similar services (e.g. unimog testgelände sauberg). You even get to eat lunch with the factory workers in the same canteen.
Ha ha you are right Autostadt is like Disney land. It was neat but mostly fantasy! All those "clean diesel" cars.
I do hope the Austin campus does a Tesla experience though. Would be neat to drive a roadster or take CT mini Baja etc.

Last edited:

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
(significant numbers..).

No pun intended...

I used to fantasize about picking up a Bimmer through European Delivery. Seemed like it would be an amazing experience, since Germany is high on my list of places to visit.

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
I would like to see an actual exoskeleton version of the Cybertruck. The one everyone has seen was a body on frame design that mimicked the intended look of the final version (basically a design exercise). In MotorTrends initial review it mentions this. Is the exoskeleton design going to actually work like hoped or will it present new problems? I reserved a tri-motor about 3 days in and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I would like to see an actual exoskeleton version of the Cybertruck. The one everyone has seen was a body on frame design that mimicked the intended look of the final version (basically a design exercise)
Well, the exoskeleton is basically a unibody, so it's not that far different from their other cars, just many pieces origami'd instead of extruded and stamped.

That is hopefully what we'll get to see in the next month.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I would like to see an actual exoskeleton version of the Cybertruck. The one everyone has seen was a body on frame design that mimicked the intended look of the final version (basically a design exercise). In MotorTrends initial review it mentions this.
The prototype is a development vehicle, not a "design exercise". The exact words of the MT editor were, " Construction of the prototype is "unibody-on-frame" in the same vein as the new Land Rover Defender". Keep in mind, the new Defender is of unibody construction. This is NOT the same as "body on frame" such as the F-150 and the Ram which is designed to twist and flex under load while the body just rides along as dead weight.

In other words, even the prototype Cybertruck uses stressed body panels and is unibody. What MT editors were saying is the structural design is not in it's final form. It's a development vehicle. Tesla will use it as an engineering exercise as they refine the chassis load paths. Even the production version will have frame components underneath but it will be much lighter and more rigid than the prototype which has some extra "fat" on the bones. There is no way to get a 14,000 lb. tow rating and a 3,500 lb. payload capacity without some real framing with which to connect the wheels/suspension to. So there will be a frame under there. What will make it radically different from any other truck on the market with similar ratings is that the body will not be dead weight, it will contribute massively to the rigidity of the complete structure. Current trucks have independent movement of the bed and cab. Even the prototype does not have that! The prototype is a true unibody vehicle (not body-on-frame).

Is the exoskeleton design going to actually work like hoped or will it present new problems? I reserved a tri-motor about 3 days in and am keeping my fingers crossed.
There are a TON of problems that could present themselves between now and full production. I am concerned about potential noise problems in the cabin when not on smooth roads. The chassis will likely want to transmit those impacts as noise inside the cabin. However, it's not like every car Tesla has manufactured didn't present it's own unique challenges that were serious problems (before they were addressed). The good thing is Tesla has some of the best engineers in the business and have proven very capable of engineering around such challenges. I suspect they will need to do some serious sound engineering to keep the cab habitable while in motion. Mass dampers placed at key areas will undoubtedly be part of the solution.
Sponsored

Last edited: