HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
The frame doesn't need to be 'under there' - it's right there for all to see. Like a bridge.

-Crissa
A bridge like structure is part of the structure but not all of it. If you understand anything about engineering you would realize that the structural elements extend beyond the visible parts of the body panels. There needs to be a strong "floor" to the bridge.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
A bridge like structure is part of the structure but not all of it. If you understand anything about engineering you would realize that the structural elements extend beyond the visible parts of the body panels. There needs to be a strong "floor" to the bridge.
The new battery pack is supposed to be that floor.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
In my opinion the CT will have an exoskeleton shell (solid floor and all), plus rubber isolated front and rear single cast aluminum subframes that make up the suspension points (and motor/geartrain). The structural battery pack will tie together the front and rear subframes, as well as bolt to the exoskeleton.

We know the new 4680 pack is structural, and we can assume the subframes are single cast assemblies that integrate with the new pack. If the "skateboard" is as stiff as Tesla infers it will be, I image that assembly combined with the exoskeleton is, indeed, going to be race car stiff.

Yes, reinforcements in the area of the bed and receiver are needed, but that will be integrated into the exoskeleton at the design stage.

I do believe, like Sandy and Elon say, that the CT will be "simple" by comparison to modern trucks and cars.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The new battery pack is supposed to be that floor.
The battery pack will add some torsional rigidity and impact protection for the occupants to the lower frame, but it cannot provide all of the structure for that area.

I think @OneLapper is on the right track with the projection of front and rear cast aluminum sub-frames to strengthen the wheel and suspension mounting points.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The battery pack will add some torsional rigidity...
You're the one who said there needs to be a floor. That's the floor. A bridge deck is structural, but one with big exoskeleton sides like the Cybertruck doesn't pin it all on it like a single tension slab like a ladder frame truck does.

I think we're all on the same page, tho, since it is an exoskeleton, all the parts will have to work together to create that strength. And they will, much lighter (at least for the structure and body) than ladder-frame trucks.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think we're all on the same page, tho, since it is an exoskeleton, all the parts will have to work together to create that strength. And they will, much lighter (at least for the structure and body) than ladder-frame trucks.
Yeah, this is probably what excites me most about the Cybertruck. Just how strong, light and rigid it will be. It will give it an incomparable driving feel. Strength and rigidity are why it will handle better than any traditional truck and also be safer and more capable than any truck in it's class.

And Dodge is paying back some of the money truck owners have paid them to buy ads in the right hand margin of this forum page as I look now. They are trying to convince me to buy a 2020 Ram 2500 because of it's "technology", LOL! They are bragging about their "Lane Keep Assist".

OK. :rolleyes:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
The battery pack will add some torsional rigidity and impact protection for the occupants to the lower frame, but it cannot provide all of the structure for that area.

I think @OneLapper is on the right track with the projection of front and rear cast aluminum sub-frames to strengthen the wheel and suspension mounting points.
But why can't the structural pack provide all the structure? I'm not saying that I don't think CT won't have subframes, but I am saying it doesn't have to.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But why can't the structural pack provide all the structure? I'm not saying that I don't think CT won't have subframes, but I am saying it doesn't have to.
It would be terrible engineering. Yes, since the battery pack technically includes the frame and packaging of the cells, so it could be done, but there is no point in doing that.

The battery pack will contribute some strength to the chassis, and this makes sense, but there will be other major structural components underneath for most of the vehicles strength. The battery pack doesn't even extend to the rear axle in the Cybertruck because the roll-top cover for the rear vault will be stored in a large cylinder low in the chassis. That will prevent the battery from performing anything more than a supplemental role in increasing stiffness. It also probably means there will be a high-pressure injection cast aluminum sub-frame wrapping partially around the vault's roll-top cover storage (in addition to other stainless steel under-chassis components to bolt it to).

I predict the Cybertruck chassis will revolutionize the light truck market within 10-12 years.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Yeah, this is probably what excites me most about the Cybertruck. Just how strong, light and rigid it will be. It will give it an incomparable driving feel. Strength and rigidity are why it will handle better than any traditional truck and also be safer and more capable than any truck in it's class.

And Dodge is paying back some of the money truck owners have paid them to buy ads in the right hand margin of this forum page as I look now. They are trying to convince me to buy a 2020 Ram 2500 because of it's "technology", LOL! They are bragging about their "Lane Keep Assist".

OK. :rolleyes:
Oh yeah that baby will handle very well! All the weight is way down low and with the new batteries closer to the centerline. Now imagine the weight balance. A ICE truck has all that engine weight forward and hardly any weight in the rear. NOT the Cybertruck! Tesla will move the batteries around to balance it out perfectly. That is going to make a huge difference. Can you say FUN!
Also, just imagine how much better a single motor will drive, than a standard pickup with no weight in the rear.

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
I used to fantasize about picking up a Bimmer through European Delivery. Seemed like it would be an amazing experience, since Germany is high on my list of places to visit.
For you it is (still?) a fantasy (picking up a car oversea) but I did it twice.

My grandmother always told me: Later in life you will only regret what you did not do.......

In 1995 I had bought a new Chevy K15000 (6,5l Diesel) in Madison, WI and drove it, via "the scenic route" including seeing Niagra Falls and the Indian Summer, to an east coast harbour for shipping (RoRo, 1000$US) .
Getting it EU Streetlegal and licensed ran me about 1500$US

In 1993, during a University exchange programm, I bought a new E-150 Econoline Conversion Van from a Ford dealer in Colorado Springs. Shout out to COLORADO COLLEGE !
Getting it street legal and licenced in Germany infferred to change the headlights (they fit from a Mercedes Van) and cost about 2500$US.
Shipping in a 20' opentop Container was about the same.

Way back then exhaust emmissions where not such a big deal as today....?
It was still way cheaper than buying them in Germany at a specialized dealer. Both OEM did not sell these models in Europe.

It took me more than a month to get from Colorado Springs to the east coast.
  • up Pikes Peak
  • Las Vegas
  • The Balloon Fiesta in Phoenix
  • Navy/Air Force Museum in Pensacola
  • Kennedy Space Center
  • Columbusday in Washington D.C. etc....
Hell I would have liked to see more but my VISA was not prolonged and I had to leave.:cry:

Those are memories for live.

Now you know why I would realy like to pick up (at least one of the) CT's ordered in Austin.
To go on a "father and son" road trip.
My son can even make his Texas driveing licence before his "Autobahn permit"?

There are so many places I have not been yet (California, Washington State, Canada....)
Come to think of it, I might just let one CT be delivered in the US.

For several extended road trips.... and rent it out in the time I am not there........ Storeing it will be cheaper then shipping. It should keep a good resale value.
Some day Robotaxi might be running and my car can pick me up at the airport.....
What a great new world......

And the best in this senario : F..K THE smale Version Wolverin ? I get the real deal.?

btw. has any body notice it ? Elon said the bad letters VW? right after Cybertruck......

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag

The exoskeleton will have a floor in the cab. The seats and seat belts have to anchor to something, and that wont be the battery pack.

The new battery pack will add to the strength, there's no doubt in that. Hell, it could add *most* of the rigidity for all we know.

I wonder if the Exoskeleton will be designed like a boat, with wiring passing through high up in the body. With the heavy doors and possible double door seals, it might be as close to amphibious as we'll ever get (short of buying an ex-military vehicle). The folding midgate would more difficult to justify this, though.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This month is moving slower now that I am anticipating seeing the tweaked design.
I wish suspended animation was a thing. You know, zero consciousness, stop aging, just a jump forward when you were brought out of it! I would go for about a year!
Sponsored