Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes! It will make the Cybertruck safer for pedestrians. As long as they don't look like flappy bird.

I am learning so many words! I didn't know pieton, for instance. Now that I say it out loud, it makes sense.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Yakuza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Datsun
Country flag
All Tesla vehicles have cameras and radar front and back (and sides), so perhaps the request (heaven forbid a demand - perhaps lost in translation?) is referring instead to obstacle avoidance 'using' the cameras and radar? I think that FSD covers these things as well, but maybe the poster wants these features and not FSD. Unclear from the one sentence.
They have radar up front, but ultra sonic sensors (good to maybe 50ft, if that) all around.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
They have radar up front, but ultra sonic sensors (good to maybe 50ft, if that) all around.
The point was that they have [positioning] sensors and cameras already. I didnā€™t go into detail because the post wasnā€™t clear about what they were looking for in an update. I would love to see Tesla support full obstacle protection on all 4 sides of the vehicle; including full stop or ā€˜swerveā€™ and of course including pot holes. I understand from the FSD beta videos that they are making headway on the latter.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Gee I wish there were an update before the end of the year.

I remember reserving a Model Y when they were first announced and they were being delivered a year later, but prototypes started being seen driving around 4-6 months before production, increasing dramatically in the last quarter before production began. If the same is true for the CT, then we would need to see prototypes rolling around by May. What do you people think?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

I remember reserving a Model Y when they were first announced and they were being delivered a year later, but prototypes started being seen driving around 4-6 months before production, increasing dramatically in the last quarter before production began. If the same is true for the CT, then we would need to see prototypes rolling around by May. What do you people think?
I think the CT might be different. We would need to see prototypes that were built in Austin. From the prototype production line.

The current CTs out there that have been seen were all built out before the Austin plant had any possibility of producing a vehicle. So wherever they were built, itā€™s possible that more could be built. But those would not tell us anything about how soon the production line would be coming into active service.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I think the CT might be different. We would need to see prototypes that were built in Austin. From the prototype production line.

The current CTs out there that have been seen were all built out before the Austin plant had any possibility of producing a vehicle. So wherever they were built, itā€™s possible that more could be built. But those would not tell us anything about how soon the production line would be coming into active service.
That is true, but that isnā€™t what I was talking about so sorry if I was unclear. I was just saying that Model Y prototypes started showing up about 9 months before deliveries began, so if Tesla plans to start CT deliveries by the end of 2021, then we should probably start seeing prototypes around March-May. CT prototypes do not have to come from Austin. Mass production will have to be dialed in for sure, but they were producing Model Y prototypes long before they had a production line in Fremont for Model Ys. Sure, they were produced in the same location as they would eventually be produced, but that is almost serendipitous. It was just noted yesterday that several Semi prototypes were built at Giga Nevada but the Semi is supposed to be built at a Giga Austin as well.

The reason I was thinking about all this (apart from having too much time to think of such things) is that if @elonmusk is going to give us an update on the CT design it will probably be before prototypes start being seen on the road. That is, ā€˜a month or soā€™ can probably be time limited to 1-4 months. We all wanted it to be 1+ months and it is already almost 2 months.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
That is true, but that isnā€™t what I was talking about so sorry if I was unclear. I was just saying that Model Y prototypes started showing up about 9 months before deliveries began, so if Tesla plans to start CT deliveries by the end of 2021, then we should probably start seeing prototypes around March-May. CT prototypes do not have to come from Austin. Mass production will have to be dialed in for sure, but they were producing Model Y prototypes long before they had a production line in Fremont for Model Ys. Sure, they were produced in the same location as they would eventually be produced, but that is almost serendipitous. It was just noted yesterday that several Semi prototypes were built at Giga Nevada but the Semi is supposed to be built at a Giga Austin as well.

The reason I was thinking about all this (apart from having too much time to think of such things) is that if @elonmusk is going to give us an update on the CT design it will probably be before prototypes start being seen on the road. That is, ā€˜a month or soā€™ can probably be time limited to 1-4 months. We all wanted it to be 1+ months and it is already almost 2 months.
Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense. I do want more info on the CT and the ā€œ1 month or soā€ timeframe is definitely getting a bit long in the tooth. My hope was that the new updates would include letting us see a mew prototype with the changes incorporated. But given your thoughts Iā€™m wondering if there might just be a choice between 2 events (updated info vs new prototypes) and a single event (updates including a new prototype).

At this point it would not surprise me if the CT updates donā€™t come till late spring. Not a happy thought but itā€™s becoming more possible every day.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense. I do want more info on the CT and the ā€œ1 month or soā€ timeframe is definitely getting a bit long in the tooth. My hope was that the new updates would include letting us see a mew prototype with the changes incorporated. But given your thoughts Iā€™m wondering if there might just be a choice between 2 events (updated info vs new prototypes) and a single event (updates including a new prototype).

At this point it would not surprise me if the CT updates donā€™t come till late spring. Not a happy thought but itā€™s becoming more possible every day.
Surely Tesla would want to nail down the manufacturing process for the CT well before the Texas factory is completed, production prototypes should running around in early 2021, maybe even now and hopefully Elon is waiting on feedback of these test rigs.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Surely Tesla would want to nail down the manufacturing process for the CT well before the Texas factory is completed, production prototypes should running around in early 2021, maybe even now and hopefully Elon is waiting on feedback of these test rigs.
I would think so too. But it's possible that some of the smaller incidentals are what is keeping the update from being published. For instance the question about mirrors. These would have an effect on drag and mileage so he might wait till he has some stronger stance on what the deal will be there. Or perhaps some other optimization that he wants is not fully solidified yet so he is waiting for that to happen. Either way, we are still waiting. With bated breath. And my lungs are getting pretty sore. Perhaps I'll have to go watch some more youtube videos and try to ignore the pangs.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTORĀ®
Country flag
What do you people think?
I don't think the Tesla employees will be driving the first CTs by this time next year. I think I'm holding reservation #97,295. I live in CO. I don't know what the regional release will look like or if we will be able to pick up at the factory. I'm hoping to get my CT3 before 1 Oct 2022. Any time after that will have greater tax implications for me. I'm feeling less optimistic about a pre 1 Oct 2022 delivery every "month or so".

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag

I'd sure like that, it's not inconceivable. We might see Tesla employees zipping around before the end of the year. How cool would that be?

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I think they meant they wanted the features as their make or break. Tesla has the cameras, but it doesn't always give you quite as much collision avoidance data as it could. They're slowly making that better.

It isn't easy turning all that data into usable info for the human driver.

-Crissa
You think that's been difficult. Wait until they require mapping all off-road areas in the world to certify the CT off-road capable.

However, I'll raise my hand in an offer to subject myself to travel these dusty and dangerous roads for Tesla, in their CyberTruck; and give Tesla usable information, to further their certification in this process. I know... but, I do feel compelled. peace

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Rumour :

Original Cybertruck is coming out with a Bronx Edition, 4mm (not 3mm) thick exoskeleton.

And the Wolverine Cybertruck is offered with the Zombie Apocalypse package.

Sneak Peak : Wolverine Cybertruck ( with light camouflage ) captured during testing in Arizona ;).
Or just a lost Tesla engineer maybe looking for a relocated mail box to cast his ballot in :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

P.S. C'mon Elon, I gently urged you to hurry delivery 12 Months ago,
before the Zombie Apocalypse arrived !

Which guy is in a movie about a Dystopian Future,
Which guy is an actual brain dead Zombie in a Dystopian reality today . . . . . . . . .

stumbling into creating an Apocalypse !

Tesla Cybertruck Updated CyberTruck to be shown in a month or so AFTER WE GET THE 8000 TON CASTING MACHINE RUNNING! 1610262400516
Tesla Cybertruck Updated CyberTruck to be shown in a month or so AFTER WE GET THE 8000 TON CASTING MACHINE RUNNING! 1610262367228

Tesla Cybertruck Updated CyberTruck to be shown in a month or so AFTER WE GET THE 8000 TON CASTING MACHINE RUNNING! 1610259357569

Last edited:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Reactions: Geo