DanD

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trimotor
Country flag
Elon said on November 3 we would get to see an updated design "in a month or so." Anyone else getting antsy wanting to see an updated cybertruck??? I feel like I check twitter and youtube every day!!
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Elon said on November 3 we would get to see an updated design "in a month or so." Anyone else getting antsy wanting to see an updated cybertruck??? I feel like I check twitter and youtube every day!!
In the meantime, the one year anniversary of the reveal on Nov. 21 passed with nothing to show. I just wonder why Tesla has been so mum for so DAMN long. No teaser sightings, nothing since battery day in September. Remember there was supposed to be an across America tour of the Cybertruck? CRICKETS!!!!

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
So one consideration people aren't thinking about is that many of the important pieces of the CYBERTRUCK, excluding the body itself, are all being tested as separate pieces in other vehicles. Octovalve, already in new Tesla vehicles. Plaid powertrain, already being tested in Model S. New battery tech, likely being tested in other vehicles and possibly semi. Central screen, used in all Tesla's already. Glass and stainless can be tested outside of vehicle form. There are no body panel fitments to test. There are no castings that need to to be mated to other vehicle parts. Tesla's ability to share these items across vehicles are part of what is making them so efficient and profitable.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
In the meantime, the one year anniversary of the reveal on Nov. 21 passed with nothing to show. I just wonder why Tesla has been so mum for so DAMN long. No teaser sightings, nothing since battery day in September. Remember there was supposed to be an across America tour of the Cybertruck? CRICKETS!!!!
Well, he seems to be somewhat busy with rocket launches lately. But still, the crickets are getting annoying.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
So one consideration people aren't thinking about is that many of the important pieces of the CYBERTRUCK, excluding the body itself, are all being tested as separate pieces in other vehicles. Octovalve, already in new Tesla vehicles. Plaid powertrain, already being tested in Model S. New battery tech, likely being tested in other vehicles and possibly semi. Central screen, used in all Tesla's already. Glass and stainless can be tested outside of vehicle form. There are no body panel fitments to test. There are no castings that need to to be mated to other vehicle parts. Tesla's ability to share these items across vehicles are part of what is making them so efficient and profitable.
They might actually be testing Cybertruck for all we know. There is no reason that they have to build a factory before they do testing. I think its fair to assume that the production prototypes exist since its been more than a month or so. Of course they would have completed all the tests before unveiling the production prototype.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
If this is true, I can guess what Elon’s update to CT looks like:

Tesla Cybertruck Updated CyberTruck to be shown in a month or so AFTER WE GET THE 8000 TON CASTING MACHINE RUNNING! 1610682179610

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
‘Elan is trying to get you emotionally ready for the delay next December.

In the meantime watch this and try to imagine it is CT:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
They might actually be testing Cybertruck for all we know. There is no reason that they have to build a factory before they do testing. I think its fair to assume that the production prototypes exist since its been more than a month or so. Of course they would have completed all the tests before unveiling the production prototype.
I think/hope that anyone that saw a CT on the road would make a lot of noise.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hope you are correct. The design is so radically new that my fear is they have found something serious wrong that requires a fundamental design change.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Yes, but it still isn’t ‘that’ easy. No one has ever made a 3mm stainless exoskeleton before. They have to figure out how to cut, fold, and weld the frame quickly. They probably need a new suspension that can handle the cargo and towing requirements but also handle extreme off roading. That’s gotta be a problem. Their new casting machines have never been tested on something as big as the CT. There are still issues with the lights, and regulatory issues with wipers and side mirrors. And these are only the most obvious things. Most of the comments on this forum are about things never before mentioned by Tesla; things they could do to make the truck spectacular. So yes, there is hope, but there is a lot of work to do that hasn’t been shared (understandable) so a design update would be really, really, really appreciated.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, they made the one they demo'd, but they made it with people operating machines rather than automated folding.

They might be making lots of paper trucks ala folding at home.

-Crissa

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
When Tesla was launching the Model S, their quality guy - from Mercedes - told Elon they need to test it for two years before selling. Elon said he gets 6 months. If they're going to make their end of year sales start goal, we should see something very soon, either officially or in spy photos. They'll need to crash test the car too, etc, before selling so more info is coming one way or another. Or it will be delayed, but I really think they don't want that.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
There are no body panel fitments to test.

Um, yeah. 5 panels need to be aligned. Hood and four doors.

Here's the issue. Typically the fender is adjusted to the door gap (after the door is properly set). In a normal car there's lots of movement in the front fenders, nose, hood, etc. Most cant see 1mm of panel adjustment. Not going to be the case with the CT. Fenders don't move.

Proper hood and door alignment will rely on the hood and doors being dimensionally correct.

Getting the proper production tolerances is going to be a bitch. Something that Tesla has admittedly struggled with.
Sponsored

Last edited: