Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Um, yeah. 5 panels need to be aligned. Hood and four doors.

Here's the issue. Typically the fender is adjusted to the door gap (after the door is properly set). In a normal car there's lots of movement in the front fenders, nose, hood, etc. Most cant see if 1mm of panel adjustment. Not going to be the case with the CT. Fenders don't move.

Proper hood and door alignment will rely on the hood and doors being dimensionally correct.

Getting the proper production tolerances is going to be a bitch. Something that Tesla has admittedly struggled with.
no... i thought the doors were just going to be flaps of steel welded straight to to body?! :rolleyes:

Compared to every other vehicle currently on the road, there are minimal body panel adjustments that need to be made.

I am interested to see what's under the hood. With such an industrial vehicle, i dont think the plastic they use for the rest of the Telsa frunks is going to fly....would look very odd and tacky
Sponsored

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Yes, but it still isnā€™t ā€˜thatā€™ easy. No one has ever made a 3mm stainless exoskeleton before. They have to figure out how to cut, fold, and weld the frame quickly. They probably need a new suspension that can handle the cargo and towing requirements but also handle extreme off roading. Thatā€™s gotta be a problem. Their new casting machines have never been tested on something as big as the CT. There are still issues with the lights, and regulatory issues with wipers and side mirrors. And these are only the most obvious things. Most of the comments on this forum are about things never before mentioned by Tesla; things they could do to make the truck spectacular. So yes, there is hope, but there is a lot of work to do that hasnā€™t been shared (understandable) so a design update would be really, really, really appreciated.
I totally agree with you, building a vehicle like this isnt 'easy'. and yes, my statement make have been a 'slight' over simplification. I was just trying to make the point that many parts of this vehicle were previously developed, so each and every system needed to make this vehicle isnt a start from scratch.

Folks here seem to think every single piece of this vehicle is custom designed for the CT, but this flies straight in the face of what Tesla's goal is....to make manufacturing a vehicle as efficient as possible, which includes multiple uses for vehicle parts across lines.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag

Here's the issue. Typically the fender is adjusted to the door gap (after the door is properly set). In a normal car there's lots of movement in the front fenders, nose, hood, etc. Most cant see if 1mm of panel adjustment. Not going to be the case with the CT. Fenders don't move.

Proper hood and door alignment will rely on the hood and doors being dimensionally correct.

Getting the proper production tolerances is going to be a bitch. Something that Tesla has admittedly struggled with.
If I know anything about Elon, I expect him to say he doesn't really care about alignment and those folks on they Cybertruckownersclub.com forum will buy it and love it anyway.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
If I know anything about Elon, I expect him to say he doesn't really care about alignment and those folks on they Cybertruckownersclub.com forum will buy it and love it anyway.
Yup.

Did you see Sandy Munroe's latest video that dropped today? 2021 M3 panel gaps still WAY off. Paint is much better, though! lol

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
He cares more about reliability, durability, function and getting the cost down so everyone can afford it than he does about whether every panel gap is perfectly uniform.

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Silverado,
Occupation
Retired scientist
Country flag
He cares more about reliability, durability, function and getting the cost down so everyone can afford it than he does about whether every panel gap is perfectly uniform.
If the parts I can see look like ****, what about the parts I can't see? The ones that affect reliability, durability, and function?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If the parts I can see look like ****, what about the parts I can't see? The ones that affect reliability, durability, and function?
But they don't look like shit. They look like perfectly normal.

I want him to take that pen to random cars in a parking lot and see if they have gap variance. I bet the answer is 'yes'.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
You have obviously never owned or torn down a Tesla. The parts under the skin look like they came out of a fighter jet, over-engineered. Elon is all about reliability because he knows the success of his company depends upon it. Every new model gets even more reliable than the last.

Elon does not spend too much time worrying about panel gap variations - because that's not what threatens his masterplan. If people want perfect panel gaps there are plenty of ICE cars that want their money. It's not that he doesn't care about the minor details - he does, it's just not the most important thing on his list of things to get done. When Tesla gets enough market share that getting rid of panel gap variation will increase sales, then he will make sure the proper resources are available and the variation will magically go away. Currently they are easily selling all they can make because they are the best cars on the market that people can actually afford.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Panel gap seems to be the vehicle equivalent of the thigh gap issue. Some people are so stuck up and inconsiderate that they make a big deal about these things. In reality there are no associated quality, skill, or desire issues for the vast majority of us. My dream car as a kid was the Lamborghini Contach. I dreamed about that car for years and years. Iā€™ve sat in newer Lamboā€™s. But to this day I have no idea how a Lamborghini stacks up in the panel gap controversy. And Iā€™ve owned multiple new Honda, Chrysler, Toyota vehicles over the years. Again I have no idea about the panel gap on those either. Well except for when my PT Cruiser was rear ended had d enough that the passenger side doors would no longer open. So yeah, if the doors or other openings will not ope or close then I get concerned about panel gap. Or I suppose if there was rain water leakage. But otherwise, Iā€™m not gonna waste my mental cycles on such an esoteric issue.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Elon is all about reliability because he knows the success of his company depends upon it. Every new model gets even more reliable than the last.

Elon does not spend too much time worrying about panel gap variations
Improving the paint and interior quality is not about reliability and it seems like he has done that anyway. I think he has too many balls in the air and getting everything right early for a relatively new and innovative company is too much to ask. Even more established automakers with longer time on a model have more serious issues from time to time. I think you are correct in that gaps are there because he can get away with them. My takeaway from Munro video was improvements in Interior. Because paint improvement wouldnā€™t apply to CT but seat comfort and interior fit and finish could transfer.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

Here's the issue. Typically the fender is adjusted to the door gap (after the door is properly set). In a normal car there's lots of movement in the front fenders, nose, hood, etc. Most cant see 1mm of panel adjustment. Not going to be the case with the CT. Fenders don't move.

Well, sure for the exoskeleton. We and everyone are counting on this simplicity. But there is also an inner skin, otherwise the inside door has a huge lip. The bed is the same. The suspension probably doesnā€™t connect directly to the exoskeleton either. We donā€™t know much about the inner skin or how it will be connected to the skeleton. I only mention this because it makes things at least a bit more complicated.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
ā€˜Elan is trying to get you emotionally ready for the delay next December.

In the meantime watch this and try to imagine it is CT:
Very cool! But still not 65 things I love about Cybertruck
Sponsored