Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
Just looking at potentially leasing a Model 3 Long Range to combat 16k miles in 4 months (if my other options failed), since I did calculate I would be saving a ton in terms of fuel costs. But while also looking at leasing, I looked at the used Tesla page and was shocked. Not sure if Elon or Tesla is tryna take advantage of the current car market, but there is no reason or justification to pay $10k - $20k more for a 3 y/o Model 3 over a brand spanking new Model 3.

I've also looked at similar ICE vehicles in the market, and none of them have this type of mark-up or price hike.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I took a peek and there is a premium, but it's more like $4,000 over new. Maybe you didn't take into account the cost of options? FSD is $10,000 alone and Tesla tends to add it onto a lot of their used vehicles.

Right now the used car market is crazy expensive. You pay a pretty big premium and get the car tomorrow instead of in 3 months.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Just looking at potentially leasing a Model 3 Long Range to combat 16k miles in 4 months (if my other options failed), since I did calculate I would be saving a ton in terms of fuel costs. But while also looking at leasing, I looked at the used Tesla page and was shocked. Not sure if Elon or Tesla is tryna take advantage of the current car market, but there is no reason or justification to pay $10k - $20k more for a 3 y/o Model 3 over a brand spanking new Model 3.

I've also looked at similar ICE vehicles in the market, and none of them have this type of mark-up or price hike.
I'm not sure what you are saying. All auto sales "take advantage of the current car market" which is to say they sell at market rates. As defined by supply and demand. Buy whatever suits your needs for the best value.

I guess that means you will be "taking advantage of the current car market". Unless you choose to not participate in the car market, you will be taking advantage of it.

OP
OP
datechboss101

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
I took a peek and there is a premium, but it's more like $4,000 over new. Maybe you didn't take into account the cost of options? FSD is $10,000 alone and Tesla tends to add it onto a lot of their used vehicles.

Right now the used car market is crazy expensive. You pay a pretty big premium and get the car tomorrow instead of in 3 months.
This is with the FSD Option. I honestly thought Tesla would remove the FSD option if bought used, so I didn't took that into consideration. Yeah, I totally agree the market is stupid high, including the housing market.

I'm not sure what you are saying. All auto sales "take advantage of the current car market" which is to say they sell at market rates. As defined by supply and demand. Buy whatever suits your needs for the best value.

I guess that means you will be "taking advantage of the current car market". Unless you choose to not participate in the car market, you will be taking advantage of it.
There's a 50/50 chance of adding a 3rd vehicle into the fleet within the next month. I was just in shock of the mark-up. Some of the miles on these vehicles still doesn't justify the price markup.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is with the FSD Option. I honestly thought Tesla would remove the FSD option if bought used, so I didn't took that into consideration. Yeah, I totally agree the market is stupid high, including the housing market.
I suspect they add or delete it on their used vehicles based on how much margin they want on the used cars and how quickly their used inventory is moving.

Lots of demand for used cars? All of them have FSD.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
There's a 50/50 chance of adding a 3rd vehicle into the fleet within the next month. I was just in shock of the mark-up. Some of the miles on these vehicles still doesn't justify the price markup.
Unfortunately, no one individual makes a market. If you were the only buyer, and there were lots of sellers, you could name your price. But in the real world, you need to compete with every other buyer out there. If you don't think the price is worth it, you don't need to buy it.
Sponsored