Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
What would you pay for a rwd or dual motor with a trimotor battery pack?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The battery replacement cost will probably be $13k for the single, $18k for the dual, and $26k for the tri,

The model 3 pack is like $16k to replace today.https://www.currentautomotive.com/how-much-does-a-tesla-model-3-battery-replacement-cost/

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
What makes you think it could be swapped like that? I bet the three vehicles are optimized for the number of motors. You could do this, assuming you could do it, with the intention of getting many more miles in range, and possibly do worse in several ways, perhaps destroying the vehicle and spending a lot of money.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
I would pay a extra $10K for a battery upgrade. We don't know the KwHr of battery size for the three variants but what every I can get for my $10K to add the extra range to a dual motor.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
The battery replacement cost will probably be $13k for the single, $18k for the dual, and $26k for the tri,

The model 3 pack is like $16k to replace today.https://www.currentautomotive.com/how-much-does-a-tesla-model-3-battery-replacement-cost/

-Crissa
My assumption is the replacement would cost more since it involves the labor of removal, and replacement of associated older parts. On a New CT, the profit is already built into the price of the car and additional battery can be added at cost (when there is enough supply). When there is shortage and wait list, it makes sense to put that battery in a new shorter range Tesla Instead.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My assumption is the replacement would cost more since it involves the labor of removal...
$13k is the battery pack, the rest was the labor and associated parts. And the Model 3 battery pack is probably half of what the single-motor will need.

Tesla probably could give you battery pack size options... But most of the cost difference is the battery. The motors are maybe a tenth the cost (especially, as Diehard points out, in original assembly) as the additional battery.

And fewer versions, the cheaper it is to maintain. Especially since they'll end up with different versions as newer battery cells come out and they'll want to jump to use the best.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
tesla packs from salvage cars currently go for about 8-11k. No idea what kwh they are though, ebay always has um. If I had the money id make a trailer with one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
After looking at some of the other commenters I think if Tesla makes a 500 mile rwd variant it would cost $57,808 and the 500 mile dual motor would cost $64,308

I attributed $6500 to the front motor/drive/inverter and $4500 to the second rear motor/ inverter. I assumed 113/135 and 225 total kWh battery packs (actual not usable). This leaves 22 kWh and 90 KWh deltas.

So working backwards from the cost premium of $10,000 between the rwd and dual motor I subtracted out $6500 for the motor/drive train leaving $3500 for the added battery pack or $3500/22 = $159 per kWh

So using my same logic you would add 112 kWr x $159 = $17,808 plus the base CT @$40,000 to make $57,808 for a 500 mile single motor

a 500 mile dual motor would add $6500 the $57,808 to make $64,308.

As a check add $4500 to $64,308 to make $68,808 for the tri motor. Which is pretty close to $70,000.

I figure the remaining $1,192 is ego/bragging rights and is pure profit for Tesla over the existing profit on the other variants.

Here are my conclusions.
1.) Tesla will be battery production constrained for a while, so they will maintain a huge margin on their battery packs.
2.) They will value their batteries at $159 per kWr if they even offer long range editions.
3.) The dual motor is a great value.
4.) I want the added range but I don't think it will come cheap. For $5700 I will buy the performance and ego trip even if I don't really need it. Time to upgrade.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Tinker71
Seems logical and viable.
Fudge, why is fsd so expensive I could almost get the 2motor, instead of base+fsd

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
@Tinker71
Fudge, why is fsd so expensive I could almost get the 2motor, instead of base+fsd
Just listen to a good podcast instead of watching Netflix on your drive.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
@Tinker71
FSD is NOT very expensive! A license to use Autocad will set you back $210/month or $1690/year. At the annual rate in 5 years, a single license for Autocad will cost over $8,000 bucks. The FSD license is for the entire life of the vehicle (including free updates for life).

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FSD is NOT very expensive! A license to use Autocad will set you back $210/month or $1690/year. At the annual rate in 5 years, a single license for Autocad will cost over $8,000 bucks. The FSD license is for the entire life of the vehicle (including free updates for life).
Yea I guess, if you are a business/ uses it to make money. But fsd isnt that right now

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yea I guess, if you are a business/ uses it to make money. But fsd isnt that right now
Which is why this flat price is very common for new software that's rolling out. And pricing situations like AutoCAD are only for products which have a trapped market.

-Crissa

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Nothing.
By the time it arrives I'll be too old to drive.
Sponsored