Cyberfuturist

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 ford f-350, ford fusion hybrid
Country flag
I know this is a long shot.. but I'm considering building a electric UTV. I've sourced the batteries, the AC induction motor and the chassis, now I need a "accelerator". A variable frequency drive to control the power to the motor. I can find these, but nothing that can vary as fast as a "gas pedal". Anyone know where I can get this?
Sponsored

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I know this is a long shot.. but I'm considering building a electric UTV. I've sourced the batteries, the AC induction motor and the chassis, now I need a "accelerator". A variable frequency drive to control the power to the motor. I can find these, but nothing that can vary as fast as a "gas pedal". Anyone know where I can get this?
AC? You also need an inverter. But why not stay DC and use Pulse Width Modulation for speed control?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
That's exactly what a variable speed drive does. In a modern motor vehicle the so called 'AC' motors are connected to controllers that make it possible to control them as if they were DC motors i.e. by effectively separately controlling field and torque. OP isn't likely to find what he is looking for because what makes BEV's the miracle they are is the sophistication that goes into those controllers which are set up to match the vehicle dynamics. Thus there is probably no off the shelf unit that will do the job satisfactorily. Go to a VFD manufacturer, promise future orders of thousands of drives and he may be willing to undertake the design of inverters that meet the requirement.

Last edited:

Shumby

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (ordered), Nissan GTR, Nissan 370Z nismo, Infiniti FX50S, Dodge Dakota
Occupation
Sr. Maintance Engineer
Country flag
seriously look into ABB controls. I use VFDs daily for controling drilling rig equipment. we use a joystick to control speed and it is fast as you want to program it within the limitations of the motors.
Sponsored