AlphaG

First Name
Dipan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S63, Elise, X
Country flag
The gap is on the bottom of the pack and is well smaller than 80mm, Sandy comments/guesses its around 33mm. The gaps are theorized to serve as vent troughs in the event of thermal runaway as well as a buffer for damage when off road.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Very informative, and I was wondering whether they would say anything about the 'purported' extra space for more cells in the future and nothing they said suggested this at all. All the space is being used for crash protection, runaway gases, fluid entry and escape, etc.

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
Not sure why there is a fuss about this. If Tesla want to double the battery capacity, they will do it. I am sure the empty space serve a purpose. Truck cabin height will increased slightly if Tesla want to double up on the battery capacity. I love to buy more range when it/if available, but I am fine either way. No big deal to me.

peebs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
The gap is on the bottom of the pack and is well smaller than 80mm, Sandy comments/guesses its around 33mm. The gaps are theorized to serve as vent troughs in the event of thermal runaway as well as a buffer for damage when off road.
Protection from off-road makes sense, but most don't off-road that intensely and they can install a protection plate. No other car does this yet either.

It sounds to me like this could fit a modest improvement of a 4695 cell. Thats only 15mm taller and leaves 15mm space for venting and dents which seems plenty. Rivian is planning to use that format. Its also close to fitting a 46120 which Samsung is trying to make. I still think they are leaving room for bigger cells, but I doubt that is coming anytime soon.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Very informative, and I was wondering whether they would say anything about the 'purported' extra space for more cells in the future and nothing they said suggested this at all. All the space is being used for crash protection, runaway gases, fluid entry and escape, etc.
It now shows how impressive the community is at coming up with crap explanations.

Why look at it from an engineering point of view when you can create conspiracy stories?

Aside from runaway batteries, it was interesting to hear the work to go into little things like pressurization and now it makes much more sense why you have to pressurize the battery before going for a swim!

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Protection from off-road makes sense, but most don't off-road that intensely and they can install a protection plate. No other car does this yet either.

It sounds to me like this could fit a modest improvement of a 4695 cell. Thats only 15mm taller and leaves 15mm space for venting and dents which seems plenty. Rivian is planning to use that format. Its also close to fitting a 46120 which Samsung is trying to make. I still think they are leaving room for bigger cells, but I doubt that is coming anytime soon.
Wow, still going with the conspiracy theories?

Don't you think that if Tesla wanted to make a 4695 battery, they would have?
As the video shows, there's a LOT more to be considered than cell size. Bigger batteries, more off-gas space required.

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
At 32+00, they discuss the "Doom Mode" on a Model Y that had saltwater intrusion into the battery pack. Yikes! The windows automatically go down, the doors automatically open and the screen tells the driver/passengers to evacuate the car. Pretty scary, but cool.

peebs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag

As the video shows, there's a LOT more to be considered than cell size. Bigger batteries, more off-gas space required.
This would be considered reasonable speculation and neither a conspiracy nor a theory. Increasing the cell height to 95 would still leave plenty of off gas space. And yes certainly if they wanted to make 4695, they would. Thats what im speculating might happen in the future.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
To be fair they don't have to necessarily make a taller 46xx cell themselves, they could lean on suppliers like they are also doing for 4680s on top of in-house production. The video theorizes that some of that volume is not just for venting but also for off-road impact protection, that could be a reasonable trade-off for an increase in range and you could still get underbody protection from an optional skid plate, which is the better way to go about it anyway. The problem is you'd need more than a 4695 to make it worthwhile. That's not to say I view it as likely but if they have a change of heart, however unlikely that may be, it might be possible.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

There's been some advancements in the 4680 space and the 4895 is one of them.

It would improve the bandolier-style cooling, for instance, while the 4680 was expected to have plate style cooling which... Didn't happen for reasons.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

Tesla will get the most out of 4680 cells before even thinking about a new format, and they have given a 4680 roadmap that is both years behind and years yet to go.. I would say your idea is years down the road.

peebs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
Yes I agree I think years away and even then they might buy them from someone else just to make the LR CT and nothing else.

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
Tesla is known to optimize as much space as possible. No part is best part is what they keep saying. Isn’t 33mm too much of a room needed for ventilation? None of the other Teslas have this air gap (as they have foam insulation for fire hazard), and I’m not convinced that 1.3” air gap is needed to protect against off road wear and tear, that too after having protection from skid plate and the battery cover, which both are solid metal btw. I think Tesla is keeping room for taller batteries that might come after few years. They might not want to redesign CT specs for a foreseeable future.

I’m just playing devil’s advocate and not going along with any conspiracy theories! 😀
Sponsored