Video & details: Fully loaded Tesla Semi driving 500mi on a single charge - Fremont to San Diego

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
** At bottom of this post is link to Tesla twitter page that has many short detailed videos, longer slower time-lapse video of complete trip, and text info details.

Full trip was 8+ hours.

Completed at highway speed, without charging on the way & over 4,000 ft of elevation
— Tesla
December 2, 2022

Tesla team just completed a 500 mile drive with a Tesla Semi weighing in at 81,000 lbs!
Nov 26, 2022
Elon Musk

Elon said the 500-mile trip was accomplished without any tricks like special aero on the Semi’s part (standard Tesla Semi).
Elon joked that Tesla could have implemented a number of tricks to make the demonstration more impressive, but it didn’t.

----------------------------------

Watch Tesla Semi do something Bill Gates said wasn’t possible
By Fred Lambert
Dec 2 2022
https://electrek.co/2022/12/02/watch-tesla-semi-500-mile-trip-bill-gates-said-wasnt-possible/

Tesla's video shows a continuous drive with only a single break (for driver) without charging over 500 miles.
It looks like Tesla Semi can have an even greater range since it completed the 500-mile trip with a 97% state of charge and had 4% left at the end:

Tesla Cybertruck Video & details: Fully loaded Tesla Semi driving 500mi on a single charge - Fremont to San Diego TEsla-SEmi-500-miles-trip-data

Tesla Semi’s full 500-mile, single-charge drive shared in very fast time-lapse video
By Simon Alvarez Posted on December 1, 2022
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-semi-full-500-mile-single-charge-test-timelapse/

Tesla Semi driving 500 miles, fully loaded, on a single charge - timelapse
Fremont, CA USA to San Diego, CA USA
Full trip was 8+ hours.
Completed at highway speed, without charging on the way & over 4,000 ft of elevation.
2022 Dec 1
Tesla

------------

-------------------------------

** Tesla twitter page that has many short detailed videos, longer slower time-lapse video of complete trip, and text info details

https://twitter.com/Tesla

-------------------------------
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I have done that drive before, in a single hop, in my Sentra.

But I really had to take advantage of the other traffic to draft.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I'd like to see the longer version of this 500-mile drive. I've watched this video several times and found it very interesting. With YouTube, you can slow it down and even go frame-by-frame. This driver was virtually driving in the slow lane and not passing anyone the whole 500 miles. The speedo is mostly hidden by the bill of his hat on the left screen. But you can see it from time to time, and he was maintaining 55mph most of the time. One thing I found interesting. It looked like on the downhill into Castaic, he was only driving at about 39-42mph. So, even though the Semi uses regen instead of brakes it seemed like he had to drive fairly slow on the downhill. I wonder if this will always be the case. I was thinking with regen the Semi could safely go closer to average speeds of traffic.
It's funny when people say having the ability to drive quicker uphill is a gimmick. I honestly think it's way safer for vehicles to all be going similar speeds. When there are huge variances in speed is dangerous in my mind. Think about how many times you've seen traffic on a steep grade and some Yahoo decides to go flying by everyone in the slow lane only to slam into the back of a slow moving trucker.
It was also interesting there are no stalks on the steering wheel. It looked like the driver was very relaxed with steering, and it also looked like he was doing a lot of adjustments with his right hand on the steering wheel. Almost like the Semi didn't have adaptive cruise control, and he was using the scroll wheel to change his speed.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You're right, difference in speed causes more accidents.

In California, the speed limit for these trucks is 55 and often lower on hills. The divided highway near me is marked 35 for trucks and 50 for cars.

The faster he's going, the easier it'll be to lose traction on the downhill, even if he has plenty of braking power.

But yeah, alot of that will be practice. We'll see if practices change.

-Crissa
Sponsored