BoomTrooper

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Avalanche (current) , Cybertruck x 2 (preordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I was able to get some decent drone footage of the site this evening of the site excavation. It looks as if they are already moving extremely fast for just 1 week of work (Elon mentioned on Wednesday during the earnings call that they actually began construction over the weekend). A few things of note:
  • This turned into a totally unplanned thing and I literally spent all night actually putting together footage into a somewhat presentable video, created a logo, and a youtube site quickly (mainly so it would be faster for future videos). I worked on it until I fell asleep in my chair a little after 5am and after getting 5hrs or so of sleep, I finished it up and it's now up at the link at the bottom of this post.
  • I can now see why Elon called this an 'ecological paradise' as you can see extreme care is being taken even during excavation to leave a lot of the existing trees and foliage and these for sure will be implemented into the design of the entire facility.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if there were several main buildings given the unique layout of the land and as you can see, many different trails that the equipment has already created, obviously for specific reasons.
  • Lastly, this is actually a pretty difficult area to get drone footage due to the major power transmission lines running directly through the middle of the site on one side, and Austin Bergstrom International Airport (ABIA), just a few minutes down the highway on the opposite side of the factory. These 2 issues cause intermittent interference, tons of air restriction warnings, and geofencing where DJI software used to control the drone won't allow it to proceed and automatically reroutes the drone whenever it gets about halfway to the southernmost end of the site (the end where the near highway traffic is approaching from/towards the airport).
  • Lastly, I just want to get this first set out quickly and I'll be working on a side project for a more professional presentation for future pictures and videos. Hope everyone enjoys as this place is going to be amazing!

Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Magnificent! Well done, great editing. It looks like your were flying pretty high. Would there be less restrictions at lower height? I guess Tesla owns all the land from the Toll road to the river. They have a lot of water they need to move. But with your video it gives a much better perspective of just how much land this is. To get to the point they are already at takes a tremendous amount of planing and permits. They are not just playing in the dirt with all that equipment. They already have the exact final layout of the land and drainage. Tesla had to of been in possession of this land and in planning for months.

Dixon1430

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
SRNA
Country flag
Nice work. I know we all pretty much knew that Austin was going to be the location but I'm so pumped that they are already starting the construction! I can't even wait until we start getting our Cybertrucks!

OP
OP
BoomTrooper

BoomTrooper

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Magnificent! Well done, great editing. It looks like your were flying pretty high. Would there be less restrictions at lower height? I guess Tesla owns all the land from the Toll road to the river. They have a lot of water they need to move. But with your video it gives a much better perspective of just how much land this is. To get to the point they are already at takes a tremendous amount of planing and permits. They are not just playing in the dirt with all that equipment. They already have the exact final layout of the land and drainage. Tesla had to of been in possession of this land and in planning for months.
Thanks for the kind words! This area is just tricky and I'll be experimenting more on my next trip with specific heights and a flight path for consistency. Those transmission lines being right in the middle of what you're trying to film combined with being in super close proximity to the airport just makes it feel like you're trying to navigate an area with random invisible fences everywhere.

I went higher and lower in some places but there was always some sort of warning coming up on the controller, not to mention it was somewhat windy. I also went through 1 battery but have 3 total and I didn't want to spend too much time given the time of day and I had to get back to do something with the kids. Definitely looking forward to the next outing.

Also, your last point about Tesla either already having possession of this land a lot sooner than they announced and just how it's looking to be laid out seems to be spot on. That's something that immediately jumped out to me when I saw everything. No way they haven't been on this for a while.

OP
OP
BoomTrooper

BoomTrooper

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Awesome work! Very professional. I hope your new YouTube channel does very well.
It'll definitely be a hobby but we'll see what happens with it. Should be a fun ride until we all can actually pick up our Cyber Trucks from the factory!

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Thanks for the kind words! This area is just tricky and I'll be experimenting more on my next trip with specific heights and a flight path for consistency. Those transmission lines being right in the middle of what you're trying to film combined with being in super close proximity to the airport just makes it feel like you're trying to navigate an area with random invisible fences everywhere.

I went higher and lower in some places but there was always some sort of warning coming up on the controller, not to mention it was somewhat windy. I also went through 1 battery but have 3 total and I didn't want to spend too much time given the time of day and I had to get back to do something with the kids. Definitely looking forward to the next outing.

Also, your last point about Tesla either already having possession of this land a lot sooner than they announced and just how it's looking to be laid out seems to be spot on. That's something that immediately jumped out to me when I saw everything. No way they haven't been on this for a while.
Nice job, Randy. I appreciate it. Even if I couldn't see my CT being built.

cdelgado1228

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I was able to get some decent drone footage of the site this evening of the site excavation. It looks as if they are already moving extremely fast for just 1 week of work (Elon mentioned on Wednesday during the earnings call that they actually began construction over the weekend). A few things of note:
  • This turned into a totally unplanned thing and I literally spent all night actually putting together footage into a somewhat presentable video, created a logo, and a youtube site quickly (mainly so it would be faster for future videos). I worked on it until I fell asleep in my chair a little after 5am and after getting 5hrs or so of sleep, I finished it up and it's now up at the link at the bottom of this post.
  • I can now see why Elon called this an 'ecological paradise' as you can see extreme care is being taken even during excavation to leave a lot of the existing trees and foliage and these for sure will be implemented into the design of the entire facility.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if there were several main buildings given the unique layout of the land and as you can see, many different trails that the equipment has already created, obviously for specific reasons.
  • Lastly, this is actually a pretty difficult area to get drone footage due to the major power transmission lines running directly through the middle of the site on one side, and Austin Bergstrom International Airport (ABIA), just a few minutes down the highway on the opposite side of the factory. These 2 issues cause intermittent interference, tons of air restriction warnings, and geofencing where DJI software used to control the drone won't allow it to proceed and automatically reroutes the drone whenever it gets about halfway to the southernmost end of the site (the end where the near highway traffic is approaching from/towards the airport).
  • Lastly, I just want to get this first set out quickly and I'll be working on a side project for a more professional presentation for future pictures and videos. Hope everyone enjoys as this place is going to be amazing!

Nicely done, happen to be in Austin tonight and can’t wait to take mine home to Houston

Deleted member 5322

Video of the year!
Sponsored