VIN Assigned Model Y Order. It's not Austin. What do I do?

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Hey All,

My VIN was just assigned, it's a Fremont build. I want to try to get an Austin build if I can, I don't need the Y in a rush. If I ordered an entirely new Performance Model Y right now it's delivery date is April and I could easily wait until June or July, so I'm not losing much by letting go of this VIN

I haven't filled out all of my identification, registration and insurance info yet. I also have not filled out the financing section. I'm also prepared to lose the $250 fee if necessary, I'm willing to gamble on that once.
  • Should I just leave it blank and ignore it for now?
  • Should I contact Tesla and request to defer delivery of this VIN?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and ideas!
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Are you in a sales tax state?

If it was here in Oregon you could probably get away with buying it and driving it until you could be assured you could take delivery of an Austin one, then flipping the old one.

In California with 9% tacked on top of each sale, it’s a lot less viable.

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Hey All,

My VIN was just assigned, it's a Fremont build. I want to try to get an Austin build if I can, I don't need the Y in a rush. If I ordered an entirely new Performance Model Y right now it's delivery date is April and I could easily wait until June or July, so I'm not losing much by letting go of this VIN

I haven't filled out all of my identification, registration and insurance info yet. I also have not filled out the financing section. I'm also prepared to lose the $250 fee if necessary, I'm willing to gamble on that once.

OH NO! This is like my worst nightmare! Not actually, but I am wondering if i will be in the same boat.

I ordered in January and my delivery date then was for August. I read somewhere that by August Austin should be releasing their production cars. So I put two and two together and could not resist ordering and getting into a Tesla while I wait for my CT. Now here we are a month and a bit later and my estimated delivery date has changed several times, now it has been saying between March 13 and 31. I'm stoked about this close delivery date but I'm a little bummed too. I probably won't be getting a Austin Model Y and definitely not a 4680 model Y either, but I can't stand to wait any longer to get in a Tesla....

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
This is my fear too. My PacHy was just recalled for battery fires, and based on Chrysler's other "fixes" for problems with this van I have zero faith in their ability to fix this in a timely manner. As such, I've been thinking about a 7-seat MY. But I want to be sure of one from Austin, because I like the batt tech for longevity much better.

I wish there were a way to guarantee it. A color, a trim, something.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
This is my fear too. My PacHy was just recalled for battery fires, and based on Chrysler's other "fixes" for problems with this van I have zero faith in their ability to fix this in a timely manner. As such, I've been thinking about a 7-seat MY. But I want to be sure of one from Austin, because I like the batt tech for longevity much better.

Yeah, so far it could be Blue is the Austin color, but there were some other colors on a truck. The blue models were LR, the other colors were Performance, although I don't think there were any grey vehicles, which is the one I have on order. So far the best evidence suggests a blue LR model with the Gemini wheels. That's unconfirmed though.

I just need to buy myself more time and hopefully more concrete information will trickle out about what combinations of model attributes are being built by Austin.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Has anyone had an experience deferring delivery of a Tesla?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

I have a 2020 PacHy, so I looked up recall. It looks like only models from 2017 and 2018 are affected. I've had pretty good luck with them so far. At one point, they replaced the battery heater under warrantee. It helps that the head mechanic is a personal friend, though.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
I have a 2020 PacHy, so I looked up recall. It looks like only models from 2017 and 2018 are affected. I've had pretty good luck with them so far. At one point, they replaced the battery heater under warrantee. It helps that the head mechanic is a personal friend, though.

View attachment 11605
I have a 2018 bought in Dec 2017, and have had a string of problems related to it. I detailed it in a post on the PacHy FB group recently and I'm happy to share in DM my series of probs if you want to know. I don't believe my negative experience is typical, however, and I've never had a problem with the hybrid systems or powertrain - it's been all other mechanical issues

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Are you in a sales tax state?

If it was here in Oregon you could probably get away with buying it and driving it until you could be assured you could take delivery of an Austin one, then flipping the old one.

In California with 9% tacked on top of each sale, it’s a lot less viable.
Yeah, buyer pays sales tax here.

It's a lot of hoops to jump through, and potential hassles. I'd rather just wait, worst case lose the $250.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I have a 2018 bought in Dec 2017, and have had a string of problems related to it. I detailed it in a post on the PacHy FB group recently and I'm happy to share in DM my series of probs if you want to know. I don't believe my negative experience is typical, however, and I've never had a problem with the hybrid systems or powertrain - it's been all other mechanical issues
Sorry to hear that your vehicle is recalled, and you've had issues with it. That is so frustrating. The premise of having a minivan, with the first 30 miles being EV, is a real plus. Once we had our PacHy for a while, I've gotten a better understanding of the hybrid system. Recovering energy from the forward motion of a vehicle has become something I can't imagine EVER being without. That's free fuel!!!!!

TruckDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-motor
Country flag
Used ones, even 2020 models with 20k miles are selling, according to Kelley Bluebook above what one can be ordered for.

And if you ordered before the $3k increase, you can probably take delivery, immediately order another one, and start marketing that one at the increase or above while driving at no loss of $ paid.

Macgyverfever

First Name
Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag
Ask if the infotainment console is AMD or intel. If intel, then No lithium 12v(15v) battery or heated windshield which is a pass imo

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Hey All,

keep it and be happy