VOW
VOLKSWAGEN AG
EUR
+7.20+4.40%

TSLA
TESLA INC
USD
-6.58-1.03%

Volkswagen AG Chief Executive Officer Herbert Diess told top managers the German manufacturer will pit its largest plant against the Tesla Inc. factory that’s under construction near Berlin, according to people familiar with the matter.

Diess said during an internal video conference the storied site in Wolfsburg, Germany, will be upgraded with the latest electric-vehicle technology and software operations, said the people, who asked not to be identified as the meeting wasn’t public. It is the biggest carmaking facility worldwide, having built more than 800,000 cars annually.

Tesla Cybertruck VW CEO Pits World’s Largest Car Plant Against New Tesla Site 1000x-1

Herbert Diess
Photographer: Krisztian Bocsi/Bloomberg
What's moving markets

Start your day with the 5 Things newsletter.

Email

By submitting my information, I agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and to receive offers and promotions from Bloomberg.
The CEO’s goal is for the Wolfsburg plant to match Elon Musk’s target of reducing production time per car to 10 hours, the people said. That would be less than half the estimated time it takes to assemble a VW Golf or Tiguan, Wolfsburg’s main products. Diess also reiterated that VW must substantially reduce fixed costs in order to remain competitive as the fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic showed that some rivals are leaner.

ADVERTISING

A VW spokesman declined to comment.

Diess, 62, spoke a day after receiving a fresh vote of confidence for his strategy to make the German industrial giant more nimble. VW’s supervisory board also managed to defuse a conflict over management appointments with a range of agreements on cost savings and a decision to keep the Ducati and Lamborghini brands.
Read more: Volkswagen Soars After Board Backs CEO, Defusing Conflict

Diess said during Tuesday’s meeting of top executives that VW plans to create a management board position for information technology. The company is reviewing potential candidates and plans to make a decision next year.
The CEO said that while VW has navigated the Covid-19 crisis relatively well so far, its costs are still too high and earnings at some rivals have proven more resilient. VW announced a plan on Monday to lower fixed costs 5% by 2023.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-largest-car-plant-against-new-tesla-factory
Sponsored

OP
OP

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Hahaha it’s been awhile since I’ve seen that commercial!

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hahaha it’s been awhile since I’ve seen that commercial!
I remember a couple of different versions of this commercial but not this one, this was the only version I could find. It was a favorite commercial of VW.
Sponsored