Was the Tri-motor at Launch Price a massively better deal than the Dual?

CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
I am struggling to adjust my way of thinking from the Ice world into the EV world. Please check my math on this. If we are comparing the two models of Cybertruck it would seem to make sense for an apples to apples comparison on longevity it would be logical to determine how many miles the vehicle will go before going below a set range rather than using % of range loss. Let's assume a truck is not that useful below 210 miles of range and so would be considered at end of life. For the Tri-motor with a beginning range of 500 using a 5% battery degradation per 100,000 miles that would give approximately 1,700,000 miles before hitting the 210 mile range threshold. With the Dual at a range of 300 that threshold would be hit at approximately 700,000. Please check my math. I just multiplied 500 times .95 17 times. It would seem the larger range makes the Tri a vastly better deal especially for high mileage people. Am I missing something?
Sponsored

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I am struggling to adjust my way of thinking from the Ice world into the EV world. Please check my math on this. If we are comparing the two models of Cybertruck it would seem to make sense for an apples to apples comparison on longevity it would be logical to determine how many miles the vehicle will go before going below a set range rather than using % of range loss. Let's assume a truck is not that useful below 210 miles of range and so would be considered at end of life. For the Tri-motor with a beginning range of 500 using a 5% battery degradation per 100,000 miles that would give approximately 1,700,000 miles before hitting the 210 mile range threshold. With the Dual at a range of 300 that threshold would be hit at approximately 700,000. Please check my math. I just multiplied 500 times .95 17 times. It would seem the larger range makes the Tri a vastly better deal especially for high mileage people. Am I missing something?
Math is good enough for me but I doubt my CT will see 300000 miles so I don't care that much.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Math is good enough for me but I doubt my CT will see 300000 miles so I don't care that much.
Why, because you will sell it beforehand or because it will be trashed?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The math is ok by me, but consider that its very hard to amass those high mileage numbers in the first place.

Just 1million miles is 33 years at 30,000miles per year. At that rate its 2055. How old will you be by then, and how long can you keep up driving 30,000miles a year (80miles a day)? šŸ˜€

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
You also have to factor in the fact that a vehicle with 500k miles is highly likely to die of death by an accident that totals out the vehicle due to eventual depreciation plus cost to repair. Typically, a 15-20 year old vehicle taking 10k of accidental damage it totaled by insurance.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
500 mile range truck is a pretty sweet spot to be for towing needs, range loss due to age and as a big ass battery pack for home backup (if/when supported). Also even with a fair amount of battery wear, it can still perform the 80% typical requirements of anyone that needs/wants a truck. Lastly, larger battery mean longer distance between charges and life span is heavily cycle based, so a 500mile range battery effectively will last 2x as long as a 250 mile battery for the same total milage due to only needing to be charged 1/2 as often.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
How about this math? I'm rounding up but with a Dual Motor listed at $50K and the Tri at $70K. Isn't that 40% higher price. So, is it worth 40% more?
For me the massively better deal, was the Dual over the Single. Only 25% more, going from $40K to $50K. You go from an average 6.5sec 0-60 rear-wheel drive pickup. To an AWD, with 0-60 @ 4.5 sec. which would beat a Ford Raptor.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Iā€™m with the OP on this. Not the specific numbers here, but with my Model Y I feel a bit cramped with the current ~300 mile range. If the truck dropped down to even 275 it would start to get more frustrating. Consider for a moment you only get to use ~70% of the actual range (10% buffer on the bottom, 20% charging), a 275 mile vehicle is really about 195 miles useful. If you push the edges of the charging network, that can get sketchy. I expect the network will be a lot bigger in a few years, but itā€™s hard to really say what itā€™ll look like in 5 years.

I upgraded to the tri motor because of range frustration (not anxiety, Iā€™m rarely anxious about, but occasionally frustrated). If I were to buy the dual motor and range dropped significantly it would be frustrating.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The dual motor with 7000lb towing capacity is right at its limit for me, the 300 mile range is the knockout punch. It is worthless to me.

The Tri with 14,000lb towing capacity can safely tow my RV.
With 200 extra miles, I can easily get around with a degree of good planning.

$20,000 extra+ conversion and taxes down in AU is clearly worth it, if it is measured for the value it brings.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
With 200 extra miles
Sorry to dogleg the thread but a little assist: so many people talk about a 500mi range CT as though itā€™s gospel, and I havenā€™t followed closely enough to know what itā€™s based on (and google is now swamped with news of the semiā€™s 500mi range)

I take it that at some point Musk has ā€œpromisedā€ that at least one CT will have a 500+ min range, and folks are hopeful that at least the tri if not quad will be it?

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
TRI is 500, we know that.

Nobody has confirmed how far the quad will go.

But I'll be a monkey's Uncle (Sorry Kelly, lol) if it is not at least 500 miles.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Sorry to dogleg the thread but a little assist: so many people talk about a 500mi range CT as though itā€™s gospel, and I havenā€™t followed closely enough to know what itā€™s based on (and google is now swamped with news of the semiā€™s 500mi range)

I take it that at some point Musk has ā€œpromisedā€ that at least one CT will have a 500+ min range, and folks are hopeful that at least the tri if not quad will be it?
Official Cybertruck reveal night Nov 2019 and official Cybertruck reservations (2019 - 2021).

Tri Motor AWD range 500mi+, payload 3,500lbs, towing 14,000lbs, price $69,900

Tesla Cybertruck Was the Tri-motor at Launch Price a massively better deal than the Dual? Screenshot from 2022-08-23 07-55-31

Of course final specifications and prices could change.

Last edited: