Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Encourage @elon to create a car wash mode. Or even have an API that lets owners create their own modes as combinations of existing features (windows, up, wipers off, gear in neutral, ...).
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Model 3 and car washes;

Page 135 of the owner's manual states, “If washing in an automatic car wash, use touchless car washes only. These car washes have no parts (brushes, etc.) that touch the surfaces of Model 3. Using any other type of car wash could cause damage that is not covered by the warranty.”
With 3mm stainless that shouldn’t be a problem, except for any car wash machines, but maybe that says something about the quality of Model 3 finishes (sad, because we own one).

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
So.... should you... would you... wax the CT?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So.... should you... would you... wax the CT?
There really are reasons to do that; many of the wax coatings are like nonstick surfaces, making cleaning easier. For instance, we get spots from the redwood trees around here. So having something that discourages the stains (and lichens that follow) from adhering is something we do.

-Crissa

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
You can put it in neutral. But as soon as you open the door it pops into P. Thus you would have to stay in the car to keep it in neutral.
If you open the door and get out of your car during a car wash, the vehicle going into park will be the least of your concerns.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
If you open the door and get out of your car during a car wash, the vehicle going into park will be the least of your concerns.
Well what if you want a twofer.. car wash and a shower? Maybe he likes to party? Maybe he listens to the stereo and watches TV at the same time!
Tesla Cybertruck Washing/cleaning 1605557034980

Doug McAllister

First Name
Douglas L McAllister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If there’s a wax for SS I’ll use it, otherwise pledge. What ever works, love clean vehicles.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
If it goes in a mud bog I'll hit it with a pressure washer.
Again to get the road salt residue off of it twice each winter.
Otherwise, Why Bother cleaning it? There's no reason.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
I do not wash the outside of a car
I second that but if it really is dirty I pray for rain or look for a creek crossing.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No steel wool! I assume you were joking. :)

Steel wool is made from mild steel that rusts readily. Using this on stainless steel embeds tiny particles of the mild steel into the stainless. It won't take long for the mild steel to rust causing your Cybertruck to look rusty. It also creates a chemical reaction that can cause pitting in the stainless. Many early DeLorean owners damaged their panels this way. The blending pads in the DeLorean kit linked to above are non-metallic scotch pads (gray color, 80 grit). They are for blending away minor scratches in the Delorean's brushed finish. Unless the CyberTruck has a similar brushed finish, I wouldn't use anything abrasive.

I posted about WD-40 in another thread, so I won't repeat my experience here.

I just use a mild detergent and water with a soft microfiber cloth when I need to wash my DeLorean. I dry the panels right away to avoid water spots....this is very important.

Beware of the stainless polishes as they look great... for about 10 minutes. After that the polish attracts dust and then your maintenance efforts are useless.

Once a year or as necessary, I use BarKeepers Friend to remove stains and restore the brightness to the Stainless Steel panels. It's like a laser scrub for the panels. Stainless will develop a thin layer of oxidation. That's normal, and the layer protects the panel. BKF removes that oxidation and therefore leaves virgin stainless behind. Over time, that natural layer of oxidation returns. After many years or exposure to the weather, the stainless develops a dull appearance.

I have heard good things about Shiela Shine, which is similar to BKF, but I haven't used it.

Here's a recent picture of a clean car:
image.jpeg

Cheers,
Is that a Mating Ritual?, get a room.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If it goes in a mud bog I'll hit it with a pressure washer.
Pressure washers are usually no good for EVs since they'll send water up into spaces that it wouldn't normally, or take off dielectric grease.

I doubt this will be an issue with the Cybertruck, but it's something to be aware of, avoid high-pressure water that can break through seals and damage sensors.

-Crissa

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Is that a Mating Ritual?, get a room.
Oh, it's the picture. Haha. Birds of a feather flock together!

I was chatting with the owner of the Model X at a Cars & Coffee show. We decided to park nose to nose, and boy was it a hit with the crowd. The best thing was the matching silver color of the Tesla. Made for a perfect photo op.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I will use one of those plastic scrub pads that scrubs a little shine in a stainless steel sink. I'm sure it will treat my CT very well. Great on bugs and road dirt. Add a little Dawn for grease build up or road grime. That's the nice thing about this surface - not too picky on how you do it, just do what you do. peace

I just thought too. After I do the above, I will finish with a coat of Rain-X, body, windows, all of it. Perfect. peace
Sponsored

Last edited: