Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Elon says CT will float a bit. That doesn't really mean much because all cars float a bit before sinking. but what I'f its actually very water tight?

But I have always wanted a floating truck... top gear style... basically 55gal drums stacked around the outside of the truck. I figure with CT I could weld some attachment points for removable curved arms to hold the drums.

Similar to...

Tesla Cybertruck What about floating? e89e20383dea341fbffd62c3ac0f5fc9

But would my local lake let me in?! Haha

Here's one of top gear's trys...

Tesla Cybertruck What about floating? 2446d868a43e595a27ab649f22c567ae
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Elon says CT will float a bit. That doesn't really mean much because all cars float a bit before sinking. but what I'f its actually very water tight?

But I have always wanted a floating truck... top gear style... basically 55gal drums stacked around the outside of the truck. I figure with CT I could weld some attachment points for removable curved arms to hold the drums.

Similar to...

e89e20383dea341fbffd62c3ac0f5fc9.jpg

But would my local lake let me in?! Haha
I would think you would need to reroute the air intake... Maybe that slot at the bottom of the front bumper isnt the air intake?

OP
OP
Newton

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On the CT? you might be right about the intake( for coolin) being in that slot. But I would think you could just turn the fans off.
I guess the cabin intake would need to to be relocated.

Tesla Cybertruck What about floating? OIP.2qqDUu2x2Aq5Kq6Q6iQZVQHaEk

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I owned a 1953 small window Volkswagen in college. I was on a date in Chicago after a heavy rain and we came up to a flooded viaduct With a truck and a couple of cars stalled out. I said what the hell and will always remember it floating with the rear wheels getting traction every once In awhile as we floated a couple hundred yards to the other side. Never missed a beat.

OP
OP
Newton

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@ ldrhawke
Haha, that's awesome. Vehicles sure do give us some memories

Nanodot

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forster
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Maybe a 3rd party company could develop an add-on electric bilge pump system, and an add-on air intake diverter port mod. for the front of the CT.

Not sure what size outboard electric boat motor to have as an add-on to a "flip stop" on the tailgate though.. see: https://www.aquawatt.at/en/electric-boat-propulsion/electric-outboards

We could then call it a Designed Utility Cyber Truck (DUCT). see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUKW for a similar vehicle.

Anyone is welcome to make rendering of this newly proposed "aquaduck" CT mod for us to view here...

OP
OP
Newton

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Since elon just tweeted.
I Decided to do a bit of math, and ask about the displacement vs weight of the CT...
Any1 good at math can do a quick calculation?
I'll do some napkin calculations and update what I get.....

Volume of water displaced for a 19x5.5x3ft rectangle is 300cubic feet. A cubic ft of water is 62lbs. 62x300= 18,600 lbs of buoyancy. I think it's totally doable if they make it water tight.

Last edited:

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Since elon just tweeted.
I Decided to do a bit of math, and ask about the displacement vs weight of the CT...
Any1 good at math can do a quick calculation?
I'll do some napkin calculations and update what I get.....

Volume of water displaced for a 19x5.5x3ft rectangle is 300cubic feet. A cubic ft of water is 62lbs. 62x300= 18,600 lbs of buoyancy. I think it's totally doable if they make it water tight.
Looks about right... The CT will be a bit bigger than that so there's even a bit more buoyancy though I wouldn't plan on needing 3 feet of water up the sides! If the CT weighs 8,000 pounds, you'll have to draw just under 16 inches. So, yes, doable indeed. Now, how much for the optional impeller drive?

Nanodot

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forster
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Not sure what the motor seals water leak rate will be, but a collection of vids on "Rich Rebuilds" show a MS 2016? flooded for 10 days does get into the motor and will ruin it if not drained out immediatly. see (in part):

OP
OP
Newton

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It would definitely require more design work than a typical tesla for the waterproofyness.
But I think elon really wants the CT to eventually be a transport/utility/end of life parts machine on mars, so the extra time spent making it potentially air tight here would save time later when they want to add other things necessary for mars. rather than a complete rework, or new vehicle. Just retrofit the CT

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I'm really rethinking this idea of CT also being a boat. At first I thought this was ludicrous but now I remember that James Bond Lotus was part of the inspiration for the design of CT and now I think CT is "cooler than people know about " means that it is amphibious.
Take a look at the wheels under the airo covers. Why do they have strange fins?

Tesla Cybertruck What about floating? Screenshot_20200627-062328_Gallery

OP
OP
Newton

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I dont see the "fins" it just looks like a normal wheel to me.

they could make a amphibious model, im sure people would be wiliing to pay substantially more for it.
They could pretty easily put some jet ski style water jets, they would basically just have to have a transfer box from near the half shafts to some water jets. this of course would be another expense and failure point, but would be so cool!
it wouldnt not cost them too much to make, roughly an extra 5k per vehicle

if they got really fancy they could do 2 more up front, coming out the sides (on 2+ engine model), for more speed, and better maneuverability

Tesla Cybertruck What about floating? tslawaterjet
Sponsored

Reactions: Geo