What are the vertical lines on the inside of the Vault??

Skibumak

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Cybertruck in 2023
Country flag
I noticed during the Jay Leno Cybertruck episode at the beginning of the episode when they were showing the inside of the vault two vertical lines running up the side of the bed. Does anyone know what those are??
Sponsored

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
might be where the tailgate assembly is bolted to the exoskeleton.

OP
OP

Skibumak

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There were 2 on same side and located toward the front and middle.

Muskwatcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado 1500 LTZ Crewcab, Toyota Avalon
Occupation
Military
Country flag
If you are talking about the black strip those are L-track tie downs. Very similar to what alot of cargo aircraft use to secure cargo. It'll be great because you can move the connection point to get a better angle for securing awkward sized pieces.

Tesla Cybertruck What are the vertical lines on the inside of the Vault?? L-Track tie down

OP
OP

Skibumak

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So there are T slots on the bottom and those tracks are on the sides?

Muskwatcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Military
Country flag
So there are T slots on the bottom and those tracks are on the sides?
So i need to work on my reading comp, i missed that you said vertical lines.
Blue is the L-track tie downs i was talking about.
Orange are the lower tie downs you normal see in truck beds.
Red is what some think are T-slots, but they may just be grooves. The CyberTruck Truck Guy did a video all about the bed where he said as much.
Green is what i think you were asking about. I'm not sure what those are but they also appear near the back as well (picture 2). Bigvbear may be right about that or it could have something to do with the Storage compartments in the top wedges of the sides.
Purple is where i think the 120v outlets and onboard air compressor access is. We see them plug in the Cyberquad near the back at the reveal.

Tesla Cybertruck What are the vertical lines on the inside of the Vault?? Cybertruck Bed highlights

Tesla Cybertruck What are the vertical lines on the inside of the Vault?? Cybertruck Bed highlights 2

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
While we're working on mysteries, how do we operate the tailgate ?

There is no latch or handle on the inside or the outside !

The 3 buttons on the top surface of the rear of the sails are actually 2 buttons and recess where the roof racks are fixed into.

The 2 button are :
A/ The rectangle one is for opening and closing the tonneau cover.
B/ The triangle one is for opening the sail cover . . . . or is this for the tailgate ?

A way to switch on or switch off the lights in the bed are also in question ?

Muskwatcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Military
Country flag
While we're working on mysteries, how do we operate the tailgate ?

There is no latch or handle on the inside or the outside !

The 3 buttons on the top surface of the rear of the sails are actually 2 buttons and recess where the roof racks are fixed into.

The 2 button are :
A/ The rectangle one is for opening and closing the tonneau cover.
B/ The triangle one is for opening the sail cover . . . . or is this for the tailgate ?

A way to switch on or switch off the lights in the bed are also in question ?
I don't know why they clipped past them opening it during Leno's video. My skepticism makes me feel like they cut something out on purpose., but maybe it was just becuase of the shortness of the video.
If you go back to the reveal video you can see the Quad driver pushes the rectangle to open the tonneau, and then pushes the triangle to release the tailgate.

Reactions: Geo

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
So i need to work on my reading comp, i missed that you said vertical lines.
Blue is the L-track tie downs i was talking about.
Orange are the lower tie downs you normal see in truck beds.
Red is what some think are T-slots, but they may just be grooves. The CyberTruck Truck Guy did a video all about the bed where he said as much.
Green is what i think you were asking about. I'm not sure what those are but they also appear near the back as well (picture 2). Bigvbear may be right about that or it could have something to do with the Storage compartments in the top wedges of the sides.
Purple is where i think the 120v outlets and onboard air compressor access is. We see them plug in the Cyberquad near the back at the reveal.

Cybertruck Bed highlights.png

Cybertruck Bed highlights 2.png
Great explanation and pictures. A+ ! (

OP
OP

Skibumak

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you for showing all that. Yes it’s the green ones I was wondering about. They just seemed out of place. I didn’t even know about the horizontal track, that will be very useful!!

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
This picture shows different lines. It's from the CT order page. And not to hijack the tread but notice the width of the bed floor gets larger at the tail gate.
The lines on the bed floor are probably not t slots. More likely grip strips, especially on the lid of the under bed storage. I do not think t slots on a hinged lid would be a good idea. Also on reveal night that CT had a different tail gate where the lines were boxes.

Tesla Cybertruck What are the vertical lines on the inside of the Vault?? Screenshot_20200531-055652_Samsung Internet

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
The only confirmed info seems to be the door on the right side, opens to get to the electrical outlets and probably Air hookup. Also the L-Tracks on the side have been confirmed. Now for the lines on the bed and tailgate. It's all speculation at this point. My speculation, is that they are T- tracks that have rubber grip strips in them to keep dirt and grime out and keep the bed from being flat so you can grab materiel that would otherwise lay flat on a flat surface (not good). One thing Nobody has said anything about during the Leno's Garage video. At 1:03 Elon says "if you want to mount like a missile launcher or something". That to me implies that things CAN be mounted to the bed of the truck. Now, those skinny vertical slits on both side of the truck. Totally guessing here, but Elon did mention the possibility of temperature control in the vault & speakers. I'm hoping that is what those are.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
The only confirmed info seems to be the door on the right side, opens to get to the electrical outlets and probably Air hookup. Also the L-Tracks on the side have been confirmed. Now for the lines on the bed and tailgate. It's all speculation at this point. My speculation, is that they are T- tracks that have rubber grip strips in them to keep dirt and grime out and keep the bed from being flat so you can grab materiel that would otherwise lay flat on a flat surface (not good). One thing Nobody has said anything about during the Leno's Garage video. At 1:03 Elon says "if you want to mount like a missile launcher or something". That to me implies that things CAN be mounted to the bed of the truck. Now, those skinny vertical slits on both side of the truck. Totally guessing here, but Elon did mention the possibility of temperature control in the vault & speakers. I'm hoping that is what those are.
Well I hope the the vents are higher up. Something like above the rear window. Otherwise I'm going to be digging dirt out of them.

rjwood11

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model 3
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Is there any information about the wall height of the vault? From tallest to lowest perhaps?

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I don't know why they clipped past them opening it during Leno's video. My skepticism makes me feel like they cut something out on purpose., but maybe it was just becuase of the shortness of the video.
If you go back to the reveal video you can see the Quad driver pushes the rectangle to open the tonneau, and then pushes the triangle to release the tailgate.
Yeah i caught that too, seems they cut away and Elon was holding up the tailgate before they rolled again and he let it down but no one pushed a button. It's also possible they put some bracing under the cover so it didn't bow under Elons weight.....

I am wondering, since during the reveal Franz opened the vault cover first then the tailgate, if they don't currently have it worked out so you can open the tailgate while the vault cover is closed. It is a prototype after all :)
Sponsored