What are you going to get while you wait?

Valentine

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Website
valentinesailingclub.com
Vehicles
Model X, Cybertruck
Country flag
Now that we know we won't be getting a cybertruck for a few more years, (I'm about 70,000, so maybe late 2023?). What are you planning to get to hold you until then?

I've currently got a 2012 Tacoma and need to do something soon so I'm super curious to hear what you plans are.
Sponsored

59sjordan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 M3LR White on White, CyberTruck Reservation
Occupation
Controls Engineer
Country flag
Now that we know we won't be getting a cybertruck for a few more years, (I'm about 70,000, so maybe late 2023?). What are you planning to get to hold you until then?

I've currently got a 2012 Tacoma and need to do something soon so I'm super curious to hear what you plans are.
I'm going this weekend to test drive a M3 and MY to decide which one I will order to hold me over.

myrickma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag

I 2nd this, have a 2003 Honda Pilot that I use as a "truck" more or less, lol. Thinking of maybe leasing a Hybrid.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
The delay is kind of working out in my favor as far as what I'm going to drive. I purchased a brand new Ford Escape Hybrid in 2009. In 2018 I decided I needed to replace it. I'm a pretty fast driver and the Escape just didn't feel safe above 75 MPH anymore. I'd owned it for 9+ years and decided it was time. I bought my current vehicle, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee in August of 2018. Then I heard of the Cybertruck in late 2019 and realized I wanted it, and I could afford it, and it had the range I told myself I needed. I then kicked myself for buying the Cherokee. I could have kept the Escape until 2022 when I believed I would be getting my CT. NOW... I'm fine with the Grand Cherokee. I had just enough money to buy it outright at the time but it would have been cutting things pretty close, so I instead financed it and invested the cash. It will be paid off end of this year. Once paid off I'll continue to make car payments into a savings or investment account saving for the CT.

I also think I'm going to buy a new house soon. I love my location, but hate the house. The delay will give me more time to find and move into a new house. I was worried I'd have to install a charging circuit in this house, and then move into a new house.

CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
I'm going to start looking at the Lightning. What kind of an eff'n product road map was that! Maybe next year! Elon keeps saying how expensive the truck is turning out to make right after he says its a techno bandwagon. For me, just give me a stainless steel work truck. Hold the four wheel steering and the four motors and the ramp and vault. I'll just take a work truck!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'm going to start looking at the Lightning. What kind of an eff'n product road map was that! Maybe next year! Elon keeps saying how expensive the truck is turning out to make right after he says its a techno bandwagon. For me, just give me a stainless steel work truck. Hold the four wheel steering and the four motors and the ramp and vault. I'll just take a work truck!
Ford will have to shed alot of orders for anyone ordering mow to get a truck before 2025. They cut off reservations at 200k, supposedly. They hope to get out 20-40k this year, and 80k each the next two years. They didn't manage to get 40k Mach-Es out last year, so...

Silverado is also 'sold out', but we don't know what those numbers are.

It's not looking pretty no matter what truck you want.

I guess I'll just wait. I can't stretch my budget to buy another car or I won't have money when the truck comes in. My Mazda 3 is doing fine.

-Crissa

BoldNorth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Dual Motor
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have a 2005 Honda Accord that is starting to push 300K miles. Not sure what to do here, was hoping it would last. I might end up going another Honda since they are so reliable. Maybe a Honda Passport TrailSport edition. I also have a 2011 Honda Pilot that has close to 200K miles and is just a baby so that will last another 5 years easy. Not sure though on what to do. "Roadmap" was super disheartening... I was so excited seeing all the new prototype pics this week.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I put in a Rivian R1S order last night. I also made a Silverado reservation on release day, but I'm not playing dealership games. I don't feel like hunting for whoever isn't going to charge over MSRP. I don't feel like having a dealer asking for extra reservation cash, which technically isn't raising the MSRP.

I thought about a model Y or X, but I actually off-road lightly, and they're not off-road vehicles at all. You can't even reliably drive them on the beach without a decent risk of getting stuck.

My Jeep, right now, is at the sweet spot for trade-in value. So, who ever can put something in my driveway first (CT vs Rivian) gets my money. Those are the only real choices for my wants and needs. But, Rivian isn't going to build more than 500 a month and they have a vehicle reservation total of 30000 for all models.

Frustrating to say the least.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I bought a Model Y 11 months ago because I didn’t want to wait until the truck launched to own an EV.

It would be a lot harder to pull the trigger on one now with the $60k price tag… ouch.

Keep what you got, it’s (still) a bad time to buy a new car. I expect that Cybertruck reservation is your best bet for another couple of years.

borntwofight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Toyota Celica GTS, 2015 BMW 750i
Country flag
I have a 2015 BMW 750i for now. I'll trade it in when CT comes out. My order number is RN11329xxxx with dual motor. So, it'll be a minute before I get it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The Aptera list is pretty long now, too.

I swear, all that hemming and hawing (even last year!) about 'will anyone buy EVs'.

The answer was a resounding 'duh, of course'. We're at the amazing point that if you spend half as much on an EV as you do an internal combustion vehicle, you can beat pretty much any performance metric with the purpose-built EV.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla spent the last 10 years building and preparing for the massive surge in demand and they were still overwhelmed a bit by it.

It’s like a tidal wave of money and Tesla was the only company who had invested in buckets to catch it.

GM had buckets with holes.