What Do GM's Plans for an All-electric Future Mean to Pickup Truck Users?

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What Do GM's Plans for an All-electric Future Mean to Pickup Truck Users?

No manufacturers have announced plans for an all-electric heavy-duty pickup – 3/4-ton and larger models – and General Motors' decision to end tailpipe emissions by 2035 marks a turning point in pickup truck development

January 29, 2021
By Curt Bennink

GMEVBarra01.60140f6d93516.jpg

GM plans to become carbon neutral in its global products and operations by 2040 and has committed to setting science-based targets to achieve carbon neutrality.
Photo by Steve Fecht for General Motors

General Motors' (GM) decision to move to an all-electric future and end tailpipe emissions by 2035 is part of the company's broader effort to combat climate change and become carbon neutral by 2040. But where does this leave heavy-duty pickup customers?

Traditionally, GM, Ford and Ram have duked it out for dominance in the pickup truck market, which remains one of the most profitable sectors for the automotive industry. For decades, the Big 3 automotive manufacturers have tried to one-up each other in terms of torque, horsepower, payload and towing capacity in order to claim bragging rights.

In recent years, fuel economy has become a major focus, with manufacturers introducing start/stop technology, cylinder deactivation technology, 8- and even 10-speed transmissions, active aerodynamic devices and even hybrid technology. This has resulted in impressive fuel economy gains vs. previous generation products.

GM's announcement marks a turning point in pickup truck development. The company plans to continue to increase the fuel efficiency of its traditional internal combustion vehicles in accordance with regional fuel economy and greenhouse gas regulations. Some of these initiatives include fuel economy improvement technologies, such as start/stop, aerodynamic efficiency enhancements, downsized boosted engines, more efficient transmissions and other vehicle improvements, including mass reduction and lower rolling resistance tires.

However, eliminating tailpipe emissions would mean the end of the internal combustion engine as we know it today. This creates quite a challenge for engineers to address as the industry moves forward. Ford has already announced an electric version of its F-150 pickup that is slated as a 2023 model, and new upstart competitors such as Tesla and Rivian could beat Ford to the market. GM has yet to officially announce an all-electric pickup.

To date, nobody has announced an all-electric heavy-duty pickup – the 3/4-ton and larger models. The vast majority of heavy-duty pickups are pressed into towing applications and serve a critical role in contractors' fleets. Keep your eyes out for future developments in this critical segment of the market as companies invest in R&D to develop a solution.

Competing Technologies
The race to reduce carbon emissions is becoming the primary focus of every vehicle manufacturer. But not everyone is taking the same approach. Many different technologies are emerging as potential solutions and there are many different demands, depending on the vehicle application.

If the goal is to reduce the carbon footprint, you need to look at the solutions as a whole. Just because the vehicle does not produce emissions does not mean that the energy consumed by that vehicle is clean.

For instance, the Propane Education Research Council (PERC) just released a study that shows propane-powered medium- and heavy-duty truck engines actually produce a lower carbon footprint in 38 states and Washington D.C. than their electric counterparts due to the way power is created for the electric grid. There are also biodiesel and synthetic fuels competing for a slice of the clean energy revolution.

GM acknowledges the need to address the cleanliness of the electric power grid. The company states while electric vehicles themselves do not emit tailpipe emissions, it is critical that they be charged with electricity generated from renewable sources such as wind and solar. The company has worked with utilities and developers to support investments in renewable energy found in and around communities that have GM facilities via power purchase agreements and green tariffs.

The availability of charging stations is another hurdle. GM is also working with EVgo to triple the size of the nation’s largest public fast-charging network by adding more than 2,700 new fast chargers by the end of 2025, a move set to help accelerate widespread electric vehicle adoption. The new fast chargers will be powered by 100% renewable energy.

GM believes that the energy sector is well on its way to a decarbonized grid and that an all-electric future will be supported by renewable infrastructure and technology.

Science Will Ultimately Win
This announcement from GM sends a clear signal that the transportation industry is about to experience a technology shift unlike any since the development of the internal combustion engine. But it is too early to pick winning technologies at this point. As with every technological breakthrough, science ultimately chooses the winners and losers.
GMFuelCellNavistar05.601417a2cc187.png
General Motors Fuel Cell Controls and Process Engineer Joe Truchan builds a fuel cell stack at the GM Global Propulsion Systems Pontiac Engineering Center in Pontiac, MI.Photo by Steve Fecht for General Motors

GM states it is committed to reaching carbon neutrality in its global products and operations by 2040, supported by a commitment to science-based targets. To reach its goals, it plans to decarbonize its portfolio by transitioning to battery electric vehicles or other zero-emissions vehicle technology, sourcing renewable energy and leveraging minimal offsets or credits.
To offset to steep R&D costs, many companies are collaborating and forming partnerships or joint ventures. They are also selling the technology to other vehicle manufacturers.

For instance, General Motors will supply its Hydrotec fuel cell power cubes to Navistar for use in its production model fuel cell electric vehicle (FCEV), the International RH Series. Navistar's FCEV will get energy from two GM Hydrotec fuel cell power cubes, each containing 300-plus hydrogen fuel cells along with thermal and power management systems. The power cubes are compact and easy to package and can be used in a wide range of applications, including marine, earthmoving and mining equipment, locomotives and power generators.

Expect to see many more companies working together to develop solutions as the focus on climate change heats up. The technology revolution will require unprecedented investments in R&D.

The question still remains – how will this impact heavy-duty pickup owners? Stay tuned. While there are no current alternatives to the internal combustion engine for this market segment, that is expected to change rapidly.

This is a highly profitable segment of the automotive market that is sure to be a major focus moving into the future.

SOURCE: FORConstructionPROS.com

"No manufacturers have announced plans for an all-electric heavy-duty pickup – 3/4-ton and larger models"

I look for Tesla to be the first to take on the heavy-duty pickup market. If Tesla can take on the heavy-duty Class 8 tractor market they can surely make heavy-duty P/U trucks.

Cybertruck isn't included in this market for the most part because of the towing capacity(14,000 lbs max). These electric trucks would need to tow 35,000+ lbs. to complete with the big diesel P/U trucks.

I believe Tesla will announce a larger truck later this year, once the CT/Semi is plant in Austin is close to completion and/or production starts.

"This is a highly profitable segment of the automotive market that is sure to be a major focus moving into the future."

This is a big and profitable market right now for GM, Ford, and Dodge. I can't see Tesla letting someone else take the lead here. Tesla so far has been the leader in EV's and it's not in Elon's nature to not take the lead.

Also, Tesla is by some measures 5-6 years ahead of all other EV manufacturers and they have the money/credit to develop these trucks. And could already be in the process as Tesla, like Apple, keep R&D closed to the public until they are ready to announce them.
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
In an aside I have to say that I find it interesting that after all these years of the major players supposedly buying up and suppressing all the various single person technology developments that are supposed to bring about 100mpg cars, none of those developments have been rolled out to save (if only temporarily) the ICE vehicle market.

It would certainly be interesting to see a 100mpg vehicle come out and compete with the EV vehicles.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Last edited:

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
In an aside I have to say that I find it interesting that after all these years of the major players supposedly buying up and suppressing all the various single person technology developments that are supposed to bring about 100mpg cars, none of those developments have been rolled out to save (if only temporarily) the ICE vehicle market.

It would certainly be interesting to see a 100mpg vehicle come out and compete with the EV vehicles.
It's not happening because... there's no such real world technology. A company says it has carburetor ('member those?) that gets 100 MPG, pre-heats the gasoline, mixes it with water or some other shit, naturally the Big Three want in on it, they scoop it up, and it turns out they got taken... again. A guy claims he has a car than runs on water, then he is Murder-most-fouled, or dies before he can sell the tech to anyone... science doesn't back that shit up, sorry, you can't get something for nothing. Yes, there is a lot of energy in water, but you have to split the H2O into oxygen and hydrogen, and that is costly in terms of energy. Long story short, 100 mpg is a pipe dream.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

I think physically that isn't possible... fossil fuel is too inefficient and people have vehicle needs that are too diverse. A 100 mph car would have to be small... useless in any place that experiences real winter.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
LOL
That second link is great. When I was young and stupid I tried drafting a huge semi. It was interesting. The truck driver wasn’t so amused. I enjoyed the experience but realized in the end the extreme danger of the move. Not doing that again.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
...car would have to be small... useless in any place that experiences real winter.
Small cars perform better in the snow. They're less likely to break loose with their narrow tires... And more likely to go over instead of bog down with their light weight.

Sure, they need plowing, but that's true of most vehicles.

But if you put traction devices on them, they benefit even more from them.

-Crissa

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Like I said, no real-world applications here. The first, a diesel Honda, used smooth throttling, careful route planning carrying as little weight as possible. Not exactly real-world, but it comes the closest. No one buying this car off the lot got the same kind of mileage.
The second, a Honda Insight, used drafting, where you get so close to the vehicle in front of you it sucks you along. You need two vehicles to make that happen, and the vehicle in front's mileage will be worse for the job of "air towing". Not real world.
The third is interesting but ugly, and doesn't get 100 mpg.
This is just my humble opinion.

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The second, a Honda Insight, used drafting, where you get so close to the vehicle in front of you it sucks you along. You need two vehicles to make that happen, and the vehicle in front's mileage will be worse for the job of "air towing".
I got a 50 mile mileage of 68MPG with a 2014 Cruz diesel drafting a semi one time. In my younger years I did that a lot. Smarter now. I think you are wrong about the front vehicles mileage being worse. I think it gets better. I will see if I can find it in print and if I am wrong I will get back to the forum

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Small cars perform better in the snow. They're less likely to break loose with their narrow tires... And more likely to go over instead of bog down with their light weight.

Sure, they need plowing, but that's true of most vehicles.

But if you put traction devices on them, they benefit even more from them.

-Crissa
lol not in northern BC snow. Small cars get stuck like Gummy Bears in teenage braces.
Sponsored